Pacquiao demands rematch after Mayweather IV revelations

Talek Harris 12/09/2015
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Unfair: Pacquiao.

Manny Pacquiao has called for punishment and a rematch after Floyd Mayweather was accused of violating anti-doping rules in the buildup to their mega-fight in May.

– Also: Mayweather Senior – I’ll persuade Floyd to go 50-0
– VIDEO: Mayweather – I’m going out 49-0 because I never overlook anyone
– From Pacquiao to De La Hoya: Floyd Mayweather’s top 10 fights

Pacquiao, who lost a unanimous decision to Mayweather in Las Vegas, urged Nevada sports officials to “impose the appropriate sanction” on the unbeaten American.

Mayweather and the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) have both insisted the boxer’s actions were legal after it emerged he was injected with vitamins and minerals before the fight.

But Pacquiao has questioned why USADA only informed the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) about the infusion three weeks after the bout, by which time Mayweather already had a USADA exemption.

“Are they hiding something? For the sake of fairness and for the good of the sport, NSAC must be consistent,” he said.

A report on the SB Nation sports news website said Mayweather had broken World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) rules by having an IV infusion at his home in Las Vegas on May 1, the day before the fight.

WADA say IV infusions are prohibited because they can be used to mask performance-enhancing drugs, increase plasma volume levels and distort the values of an athlete’s biological passport. But a USADA source said that because Mayweather obtained a therapeutic use exemption, no offence had been committed.

Pacquiao said he was treated unfairly because the Nevada body refused him a USADA-approved painkiller for the fight, when he was carrying a shoulder injury.

“That is why I want a rematch. One without any injury, with fair play. No favouritism,” added the Filipino

Most popular

Related Sections

Mayweather defends choice of opponent ahead of Berto fight

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Ready to rumble: Mayweather and Berto.

Floyd Mayweather has once again defended his decision to face Andre Berto instead of Amir Khan in his career swansong at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas this weekend.

– Also: Mayweather Senior – I’ll persuade Floyd to go 50-0
– VIDEO: Mayweather – I’m going out 49-0 because I never overlook anyone
– From Pacquiao to De La Hoya: Floyd Mayweather’s top 10 fights

Khan has long courted what would be a lucrative showdown with Mayweather but has been repeatedly snubbed by the pound-for-pound king, who has previously insisted Saturday night’s bout against Berto (start: 07:00, approx. UAE time) will be his last as a professional.

But Mayweather, opting to end a storied career against a fighter that has suffered three defeats in his last six contests, has been widely pilloried, with the WBC and WBA welterweight champion overwhelming favourite to extend his unbeaten professional record to 49-0.

The 38-year-old cannot understand the fuss, though, insisting Khan and Berto have similar credentials.

“Berto is not a pushover, no matter who I chose, the media was going to have something to say, the critics were going to have something to say,” he said at his pre-fight press conference.

“He’s no different from Amir Khan. Amir Khan has three losses, Berto has three losses but he’s a two-time world champion, just like Amir Khan.”

This weekend, Mayweather completes his six-fight deal with Showtime, one that has helped him become the highest paid athlete in the world, and will equal former world heavyweight champion Rocky Marciano’s record of 49 straight wins if he beats Berto.

Yet the American, who has won world titles in five weight categories, is adamant victory is not a foregone conclusion.

He said: “I know what it takes to win a fight of this magnitude. One thing I can do, I can fight. I can’t just say I’m going out 49-0. You can never overlook anyone and in this camp, did I push myself? Absolutely.

“You have fighters that may be faster than me, you have fighters that may hit harder than me, you have fighters that are very athletic, but you don’t have any fighter that can make adjustments like me, you don’t have fighters that can be on my level mentally.”

Berto, who has won 30 of his 33 fights in the paid ranks, also took the opportunity to condemn those who have already written him off.

“They don’t know the miles we run, they don’t know the punishment we take in the gym, they don’t know the sacrifices that we have to make to become a champion,” he said.

Meanwhile, George Groves is hoping to make it third-time lucky in his chase for a super middleweight world title as he faces Badou Jack on the undercard.

“It’s a huge fight for me because the WBC title is on the line,” the British fighter said. “Of course I’m confident about winning, I’m always confident about winning.”

Most popular

Related Sections

White Collar DXB boxing promo film

andrewbinner 11/09/2015
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Blood, sweat and tears: The White Collar DXB reality show is coming soon to Dubai and in this taster film, viewers will appreciate just a snippet of the brutal training the fighters underwent.









Most popular

Related Sections