Australia's David Warner opens up for first time about life away from cricket

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Suspended Australian vice-captain David Warner has revealed that he’s been humbled by the support he has received since the ball-tampering scandal.

Warner was one of three Aussie stars banned by Cricket Australia after investigation into the ball-tampering controversy that hit the Cape Town Test in South Africa. The other two players given suspension were Steven Smith and Cameron Bancroft.

“It is humbling and overwhelming,” the 31-year old told NT News.

“Sometimes you sit back and reflect and wonder do people care about you as a person.”

Warner and his team mates had to deal with plenty of criticism and media glare after the incident, but he believes it has all served as a reality check.

“Sometimes with our society something has to happen for the worst for people to come out and show a lot of support and I think I’ve learned a valuable lesson in this myself for the support I have been given to be on the front foot to help others.”

Warner has been keeping a low profile ever since his press conference and return from South Africa. But the left-handed batsman has also lost his chance to play and captain in the IPL, for Sunrisers Hyderabad.

David Warner and family

However, he says he is enjoying time with his family and time away from the ‘touring life’.

“I think the biggest thing for us has been when you are in a routine you can get caught in a bubble — cricket, hotels, packing your bags, coming home,” he said.

“You are not home for long. With an extended period of time you are in a good routine but then it is selfless — kids are a priority — so it’s day care, swimming lessons, gymnastic lessons and then you get your quality time together as parents.

“(Wife) Candice and I do all those things together. We take them to these things together — pick them up together.

“I always make sure I am able to do it all the time. I am making time now and it is worthwhile.”

He added: “I’ve missed that part until now where the kids run up to the gate saying, ‘Mummy and Daddy are here’, and I am really enjoying and embracing that.”

Most popular

Related Sections

Steve Smith vows to earn back trust of the public after ball-tampering scandal

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Long road ahead for Steve Smith.

Steve Smith has vowed to earn back the trust of the public after returning back in Sydney following a break in the US on Friday morning.

The 28-year-old batsman was stood down as the national captain and received a 12-month ban by Cricket Australia for his involvement in the ball-tampering scandal in the South Africa Test series. Cameron Bancroft and David Warner also received suspensions.

Smith took to Instagram after spending more than a month in the States with his fiancée Dani Willis and thanked the support he has received so far.

“It’s great to be back home in Australia,” Smith said in the post. “I have had some time away to come to terms with everything and now it’s time to get back into it. The amount of emails and letters I have received has been incredible and I have been extremely humbled by the enormous amount of support you have given me. I now have a lot to do to earn back your trust.”

New Australia coach Justin Langer confirmed on Thursday that the door will always be open on Smith, Bancroft and Warner.

Most popular

Related Sections

New Australia coach Justin Langer vows to earn back respect

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Langer wants to restore trust in the national team.

The new head coach of Australia‘s men’s cricket team has vowed to earn back the public’s respect for the national side after they were embroiled in a ball-tampering scandal.

Justin Langer also said he would welcome back disgraced players Steve Smith, Cameron Bancroft and David Warner following their suspensions if they were “willing to meet the standards of Australian cricket”.

The former opening batsman was announced as Darren Lehmann’s successor on Thursday and will begin a four-year term in the job on May 22.

Lehmann stepped down from the role in the wake of the ball-tampering scandal in South Africa in March, which also led to the suspension of skipper Smith, vice-captain Warner and batsman Bancroft.

At his first press conference since being unveiled as the new coach, Langer said his focus would be on earning back respect for the team both on and off the field.

“To me that’s worth more than all the gold in the world,” he said.

“We look to encourage great cricketers but also great Australians and great citizens. Over the next four years, starting from day one, that’s really important.

“The public will be disappointed if we don’t play good, hard, competitive cricket, but that said, we can also modify our behaviours so it’s not angry or overly aggressive.

“There’s a difference between competitiveness and aggression, and we have to be careful about that.”

The door has been left open for Smith's and Warner's return.

The door has been left open for Smith’s and Warner’s return.

Asked by reporters whether he would consider allowing Smith, Bancroft and Warner to return to the team following their suspensions, Langer said he would not rule it out.

The 47-year-old, who played 105 Tests and eight one-day internationals for his country, added: “One of the key values for me is learning from the past.

“When I think about Cameron Bancroft and Steve Smith, they love the game of cricket more than anyone I know and they are great kids. That’s why it was a surprise they made the mistake they did. We’ve all made mistakes.

“David Warner is the same. He’s a really great young bloke.

“This will be a really important message: if they are willing to meet the standards of the Australian cricket team, I think everyone has a place.”

But Langer also hinted that the loss of three of the team’s most crucial players could strengthen the side in the long term.

“It’s hard to replace those runs and that experience,” he admitted. “But it’s a very good opportunity.

“Over the next 11 months there’s a chance for some of the guys to take their opportunities.

“If you want to sustain success, you’ve got to have depth. The next 11 months give us the opportunity to even make us stronger.”

Describing Australians as people who “love to win”, he added that his players should abide by one simple rule: knowing the difference between right and wrong.

“We are competitors – that’s one of the great parts of being Australian,” he said.

“We are fighters. But ultimately everyone knows what right and wrong is. We get taught that since we were little children.

“If our players stick to that right or wrong then we will be OK.”

Most popular