Ball-tampering protagonist Cameron Bancroft signs county deal with Durham

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Australia batsman Cameron Bancroft.

Durham have signed ball-tampering Australian batsman Cameron Bancroft.

Bancroft, who will join Durham as their overseas player for 2019, received a nine-month ban from Cricket Australia earlier this year for his role in a ball-tampering scandal.

Bancroft was found guilty of attempting to manipulate the condition of the ball on day three of the third Test against South Africa on March 24.

It was an act which led to widespread condemnation and also saw Australia captain Steve Smith and his deputy David Warner receive 12-month suspensions for their involvement.

In their official announcement confirming the recruitment of 25-year-old Bancroft on Friday, Durham made no mention of the ball-tampering row.

Bancroft, who has played in eight Tests, will be available to Durham next season in all formats of the game.

In a statement released by the club, Bancroft said he was “grateful for the opportunity”.

He added: “I am excited to join Durham for the 2019 county season. With the Ashes and ODI World Cup both being played in the UK in 2019, it will be a huge summer of cricket.

“I am grateful for the opportunity and I can’t wait to get over and make an impact with Durham.”

Durham head coach Jon Lewis said: “Cameron provides us with a very talented overseas signing who can bulk up our batting line-up and help us compete for silverware.

“Tom Latham has done a great job for us over the past two seasons, but we anticipate Tom being unavailable due to the World Cup in 2019, therefore we were delighted to be able to bring Cameron in. Cameron is a talented top order batsman and a great talent across all formats. He has the appetite and temperament for scoring big runs.”

Most popular

Travis Head to captain Australia A on their tour of India

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Travis Head to captain Australia A on their tour of India

The Australia A one-day squad has assembled in Brisbane for a training camp ahead of their quad series in India, which begins on August 17 in Vijayawada.

The team, captained by Travis Head, will play six matches – two each against India A, South Africa A and India B – ahead of a series final on August 29.

The one-day series will be followed by two four-day matches against India A in Vizag.

Australia A one-day squad: Travis Head (c), Alex Carey (vc), Ashton Agar, Peter Handscomb, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser, Joel Paris, Matthew Renshaw, Jhye Richardson, D’Arcy Short, Billy Stanlake, Mitch Swepson, Chris Tremain, Jack Wildermuth.

Coach: Graeme Hick. Assistant Coach: Ryan Harris.

One-Day Fixtures (Vijayawada)

17 August v India A

19 August v South Africa A

21 August v India B

23 August v India A

25 August v South Africa A

27 August v India B

29 August – Final

Most popular

Australian bowlers Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood ruled out of Pakistan Tests in UAE

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Pat Cummins (l) and Josh Hazlewood have been ruled out of the series against Pakistan

Cricket Australia has advised fast bowlers, Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood, will not be available for the upcoming Test series against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates, as they continue to recover from their lumbar bone stress injuries.

“Pat and Josh are progressing well from their lumbar bone stress injuries but are not bowling,” explained Team Physiotherapist, David Beakley, “so unfortunately they will not be at the level required for Test match intensity come October.”

“Barring any setbacks, we are hopeful that Pat and Josh will return via the back-end of the JLT One-Day Cup, with the aim of them being available for the ODI Series against South Africa in November as they build towards the Indian Test Series.”

There was some good news however for one member of the Aussie’s pace trio.

“On a positive note Mitchell Starc is back to unrestricted training and remains on track for the Test Series against Pakistan,” Beakley said.

Australia’s first Gillette ODI Series match is against South Africa at Perth Stadium on November 4.

Most popular