Australian paceman Mitchell Johnson retires from all cricket

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Mitchell Johnson in action for the Perth Scorchers

Australian fast bowler Mitchell Johnson said Sunday he was retiring from all forms of cricket as his body was “starting to shut down”, almost three years after he stepped down from the international game.

The 36-year-old quit Twenty20 Big Bash League (BBL) team the Perth Scorchers last month, but had not ruled out playing in the Indian Premier League or other domestic T20 competitions.

“It’s over. I’ve bowled my final ball. Taken my final wicket. Today I announce my retirement from all forms of cricket,” Johnson wrote for the Perth Now news website on Sunday.

“I had hoped to continue playing in various Twenty20 competitions around the world until perhaps the middle of next year. But the fact is my body is starting to shut down.”

Johnson said he experienced back problems during this year’s IPL and “that was probably a sign that it was time to move on”.

“I’m ready to break clear of playing cricket and move on to the next period of my life,” he added.

“If I can’t play at 100 percent then I can’t give my best to the team. And for me it’s always been about the team.”

Johnson said he would consider channelling his “competitive edge” into a coaching or mentoring role in the future.

Renowned for his ferocious pace, Johnson announced his retirement from international cricket during the Test series against New Zealand in Perth in November 2015, saying he had lost the hunger to play the long form of the game.

From the coastal Queensland city of Townsville, Johnson made his first class debut with the state in 2001 before getting his start in the Test team in 2007.

His best haul was 8-61 against South Africa, at the WACA in 2008.

Described by long-time mentor Dennis Lillee as a “once in a generation” bowler, the former ICC Cricketer of the Year played 73 Tests for Australia, claiming 313 wickets.

He also claimed 239 wickets in 153 one-day internationals, and 38 wickets in 30 T20 internationals for Australia.

Johnson joined the Scorchers following his retirement from international cricket. In the IPL, he had stints with the Mumbai Indians, Kolkata Knight Riders, Kings XI Punjab.

Most popular

Ball-tampering protagonist Cameron Bancroft signs county deal with Durham

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Australia batsman Cameron Bancroft.

Durham have signed ball-tampering Australian batsman Cameron Bancroft.

Bancroft, who will join Durham as their overseas player for 2019, received a nine-month ban from Cricket Australia earlier this year for his role in a ball-tampering scandal.

Bancroft was found guilty of attempting to manipulate the condition of the ball on day three of the third Test against South Africa on March 24.

It was an act which led to widespread condemnation and also saw Australia captain Steve Smith and his deputy David Warner receive 12-month suspensions for their involvement.

In their official announcement confirming the recruitment of 25-year-old Bancroft on Friday, Durham made no mention of the ball-tampering row.

Bancroft, who has played in eight Tests, will be available to Durham next season in all formats of the game.

In a statement released by the club, Bancroft said he was “grateful for the opportunity”.

He added: “I am excited to join Durham for the 2019 county season. With the Ashes and ODI World Cup both being played in the UK in 2019, it will be a huge summer of cricket.

“I am grateful for the opportunity and I can’t wait to get over and make an impact with Durham.”

Durham head coach Jon Lewis said: “Cameron provides us with a very talented overseas signing who can bulk up our batting line-up and help us compete for silverware.

“Tom Latham has done a great job for us over the past two seasons, but we anticipate Tom being unavailable due to the World Cup in 2019, therefore we were delighted to be able to bring Cameron in. Cameron is a talented top order batsman and a great talent across all formats. He has the appetite and temperament for scoring big runs.”

Most popular

Travis Head to captain Australia A on their tour of India

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Travis Head to captain Australia A on their tour of India

The Australia A one-day squad has assembled in Brisbane for a training camp ahead of their quad series in India, which begins on August 17 in Vijayawada.

The team, captained by Travis Head, will play six matches – two each against India A, South Africa A and India B – ahead of a series final on August 29.

The one-day series will be followed by two four-day matches against India A in Vizag.

Australia A one-day squad: Travis Head (c), Alex Carey (vc), Ashton Agar, Peter Handscomb, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser, Joel Paris, Matthew Renshaw, Jhye Richardson, D’Arcy Short, Billy Stanlake, Mitch Swepson, Chris Tremain, Jack Wildermuth.

Coach: Graeme Hick. Assistant Coach: Ryan Harris.

One-Day Fixtures (Vijayawada)

17 August v India A

19 August v South Africa A

21 August v India B

23 August v India A

25 August v South Africa A

27 August v India B

29 August – Final

Most popular