The Pakistan cricket board’s anti-corruption unit on Monday said it had summoned Mohammad Nawaz in connection with a spot-fixing scandal during the country’s Twenty20 league earlier this year.
Nawaz, 23, is the sixth player named in the spot-fixing scandal that rocked the Pakistan Super League held in United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Fast bowler Mohammad Irfan confessed to receiving offers and not reporting them to Pakistan Cricket Board’s anti-corruption unit and was banned for one year, with six months suspended, and a fine of one million rupees ($10,000) in March.
Openers Sharjeel Khan, Khalid Latif, Shahzaib Hasan and Nasir Jamshed are also provisionally suspended on various charges being investigated by a tribunal.
Nawaz, a left-arm spinning all-rounder, has been part of the Pakistan team in all three formats since last year. He was part of Pakistan’s Twenty20 team on the current tour of the West Indies.
If proven guilty the players face a minimum ban of five years, with a potential lifetime ban.
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has set up an inquiry committee to investigate a spat between cricketers Umar Akmal and Junaid Khan.
The committee will be headed by Shafiq Ahmed, the PCB’s general manager and will look at the ugly war of words between the two players.
Umar, captain of the Punjab province in the Pakistan Cup, sparked the controversy when asked by a TV host about changes to his team ahead of his side’s Pakistan Cup match against Sindh.
“I just found out when I walked into the ground that he [Junaid Khan] is absent. I am very surprised. The manager and coach told me he is not going to be playing today. It’s a shocking news for me as a captain,” Akmal was quoted by NDTV as saying.
Shortly after this, Junaid released a video explaining his case, saying: “I am very disappointed to hear about what Umar Akmal has said just now giving the impression I ran away from this match.
“The fact is I am dealing with a case of food poisoning and I had informed the team management about this and they were aware of this fact and the team doctor advised me rest.”
Pakistan will hope both players settle their differences as soon as possible, with Umar and Junaid both named in their country’s squad for the upcoming Champions Trophy tournament in England this June.
Pakistan Super League [PSL] chairman Najam Sethi has said that Giles Clarke, the head of the ICC’s Pakistan Task Force, has agreed for three T20 matches to be held in Pakistan at the end of September this year.
In a tweet posted on Wednesday, Sethi mentioned that a collection of top cricketers from across the world will take part in the three matches.
Earlier this year, the PSL final was successfully held in Lahore and, following that, there have been muted calls for international cricket to return to the country.
Giles Clarke has reviewed security report of ICC experts & agreed 3 T20 matches in Pak end Sep of ICC Team of world's TOP current players.— Najam Sethi (@najamsethi) April 26, 2017
Just last month, Clarke spoke about the possibility of a World XI visiting Pakistan.
“The desire is to give the cricket-starved Pakistani supporters the chance to see some of the world’s finest players in live action,” he said.
“The world of cricket needs to help Pakistan, who cannot continue to play their home fixtures overseas. The youth need inspiring, and the national teams need far more cricket played in familiar terrain. Furthermore, the terrorists cannot win and cricket must not give up on Pakistan.”
Zimbabwe are the only international team to have toured Pakistan over the last eight years, having played two T20Is and three ODIs in 2015.
Clarke, president of the England and Wales Cricket Board [ECB] was in Pakistan in January to assess the country’s safety, reporting his findings back to the ICC before later preaching caution of the PSL final being held in the country.