Former Pakistan opener Nasir Jamshed handed one-year ban by PCB for failure to co-operate in spot-fixing case

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Jamshed has been banned for failure to co-operate with investigators.

Pakistan on Monday handed former opener Nasir Jamshed a one-year ban for failing to cooperate with investigators in a spot-fixing case that rocked the Pakistan Super League earlier this year.

Jamshed was allegedly the middle man between players and an alleged bookie. He has denied all charges.

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) legal adviser Taffazul Rizvi announced the verdict, saying the investigation into fixing charges was still under way.

“The three-member tribunal banned Jamshed for one year for non-cooperation with the investigation,” Rizvi told media.

“PCB has not levelled any fixing charges on Jamshed as yet as there is another investigation under way against him in (the) UK.”

Britain’s National Crime Agency arrested Jamshed and one unnamed person five days after the spot-fixing allegations surfaced during the second edition of the PSL in February.

Jamshed has played two Tests and 48 ODIs for Pakistan.

Jamshed has played two Tests and 48 ODIs for Pakistan.

Former Pakistan opener Sharjeel Khan was banned for five years – with half of that sentence suspended – while his fellow teammate Khalid Latif was also banned for five years and fined one million rupees ($9,460) in the same case.

Khan was charged for playing two dot balls during the PSL match between Islamabad United and Peshawar Zalmi as part of a spot-deal struck by Latif.

Spot-fixing is the practice of pre-determining the outcome of a specific part of a match in return for money.

Jamshed has played two Tests, 48 one-day internationals and 18 Twenty20 for Pakistan.

He was last included in Pakistan’s World Cup 2015 squad as a replacement but was booed off by the crowd for being overweight and in poor form.

Another former opener Shahzaib Hasan is also under investigation in the case.

Paceman Mohammad Irfan (banned for one year) and spinner Mohammad Nawaz (banned for two months) have completed their sentences on not reporting fixing offers to the PCB.

Most popular

Former Pakistan spinner Saeed Ajmal retires from cricket following defeat in National T20 Cup

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Saeej Ajmal had played 35 Tests and 113 ODIs for Pakistan.

Former Pakistan spinner Saeed Ajmal has bowed out from cricket after his side Faisalabad’s defeat in the semi-finals of the National T20 Championship in Rawalpindi on Wednesday.

The 40-year-old off-spinner was accorded a guard of honour from both sets of team after the game which was won by the Lahore Whites.

The veteran spinner had earlier announced that the National T20 Cup was to be last as a player. Ajmal spoke about the desire to concentrate on his coaching assignments following his retirement.

“I will now concentrate on my assignments as a coach and on my cricket academy in Faisalabad,” he told media after the match.

The Pakistan man’s career had been littered with allegations about his bowling allegation being illegal but the spinner remained defiant in the wake of those.

He went on to play 35 Tests for his country, picking a total of 178 wickets at an average of just 28.10. Ajmal was even more lethal in the one-day format where he picked up 184 wickets in 113 games at an average of 22.72.

His last involvement for his country came in April, 2015 against Bangladesh in a T20I. Ajmal’s best performance for Pakistan came in their Test series win over England in 2012 where he picked up 24 wickets in the three matches including a career-best 7-55 in the first Test at Dubai.

The spinner remains proud of his achievements and career with the Pakistan national team.

“I am proud that I have represented Pakistan and contributed in my country’s wins,” he said on Wednesday.

Ajmal was named as the coach of Pakistan Super League (PSL) outfit Islamabad Lions earlier this year and will be now concentrating on that.

Most popular

PCB forms four-man committee to help Mohammad Hafeez rectify his bowling action

Ashish Peter 22/11/2017
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Hafeez will be aided by the committee in a bid to correct his action.

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has come out in support of all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez who was recently suspending from bowling in international cricket by the ICC.

The PCB released a media statement on Tuesday stating that it has constituted a four-man bowling action review committee to help Hafeez rectify his action in accordance with the laws of the ICC.

The committee, consisting of Ahsan Ali, Ali Zia, Saleem Jaffar and Sajjad Akbar, has been tasked to provide all support necessary to the 36-year-old in his bid to remodel his action to fit ICC’s rules and regulations.

The vastly experienced all-rounder was suspended from bowling international cricket with immediate effect following an independent assessment into his bowling action during a test conducted at the Loughborough University in England earlier this month.

Hafeez had been reported for a suspect bowling action for the third time in his career during the third ODI between Pakistan and Sri Lanka in the UAE in October following which he was required to undergo bowling tests to review his action.

The No.1 ranked all-rounder in the 50-over format has since then decided to give his commitments in the ongoing Bangladesh Premier League (BPL), choosing to work instead on rectifying his action.

“I have decided to not go to Bangladesh to play for the Comilla Victorians and instead I will remain in Lahore and work on my bowling action before taking a biomechanics test again at a ICC accredited laboratory,” Hafeez had said.

The former Pakistan skipper had only resumed bowling in international cricket in December last year after serving a 12-month ban for an ‘illegal’ action. The all-rounder had been banned from bowling for a year after he had been reported for a second time in July, 2015.

The PCB has also meanwhile slammed media reports which stated that the governing body was not supporting the veteran player after his suspension for the illegal action.

Most popular