Trial matches for 'The Hundred' to be held in England in September

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Trial matches for the England and Wales Cricket Board’s new 100-ball format will take place next month, the Professional Cricketers’ Association announced.

A series of different formats are set to be trialled for the eight-team city-based tournament – dubbed “The Hundred”, although the name too is yet to be finalised – which is due to take place for the first time in 2020.

The ECB will continue its research when Trent Bridge hosts men’s pilot games on September 16, 17 and 18, with Loughborough the venue for the women’s fixtures.

PCA chairman Daryl Mitchell said: “After the proposed 100-ball format was announced in April, consultation with PCA members has been regular, with numerous conversations and meetings between the ECB, PCA and player representatives to discuss playing regulations.

“The trials will provide an opportunity for players to get involved and to experiment various elements of the playing conditions which will be tested before providing feedback to the ECB on if the format is workable.”

The players that are selected, after co-ordination from their counties and the ECB, will receive match fees and are likely to be allowed to feature on all three days.

Mitchell added: “We are hopeful the majority of counties will have a representative although with some counties having first XI and second XI fixtures it will not be possible to have a player from each of the 18 counties.”

The women’s matches, which will have the same playing conditions as the men’s, will take place on September 14, 15 and 27.

Most popular

England call up James Vince for fourth India Test as cover for Jonny Bairstow

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
James Vince endured a difficult winter with England.

Both are included in a 14-man squad announced on Thursday lunchtime, as England opt for just one change – Vince replacing uncapped seamer Jamie Porter.

Bairstow’s broken left middle finger makes him a doubt for the fourth Test, as England seek to bounce back from this week’s Trent Bridge trouncing against India in a Specsavers series they still lead 2-1 with two to play.

It is understood that, even if Bairstow is passed fit, on latest medical advice he will play as a specialist batsman only – with Jos Buttler continuing behind the stumps, having taken over in Nottingham after the Yorkshireman suffered his injury mid-match.

National selector Ed Smith said: “The selection panel felt this was the right time to reintroduce James Vince to the Test squad.

“James will provide cover in case Jonny Bairstow’s fractured finger prevents him playing in the fourth Test match.”

Hampshire captain Vince, who won the last of his 13 Test caps to date in Christchurch five months ago, was dropped after a run of unconvincing form when new incumbent Smith announced his first squad against Pakistan at the start of this summer.

The 27-year-old, who has a Test average just under 25, has had a successful county championship season – and while England were struggling against India at Trent Bridge, he hit scores of 147 and 74 in Hampshire’s win over Nottinghamshire at the Ageas Bowl.

Smith added: “James returns to the England set-up in confident form and scoring runs.

“He has been in excellent form for Hampshire in the Specsavers County Championship, with 847 runs at 56.46, including runs that shaped Hampshire’s win against Nottinghamshire.

“James’ match-winning runs also helped Hampshire to win the Royal London Cup earlier this summer.”

Porter steps aside but remains on standby in case pace-bowling cover is required for a match which starts on August 30.

“Jamie Porter has been part of the last three Test squads,” said Smith.

“But the selection panel did not want him to miss the opportunity of playing for Essex in the next round of championship matches.

“He will return to the squad in the event of an injury to a seam bowler.”

England squad (v India at the Ageas Bowl): JE Root (Captain), MM Ali, JM Anderson, JM Bairstow, SCJ Broad, JC Buttler (wkt), AN Cook, SM Curran, KK Jennings, OJD Pope, AU Rashid, BA Stokes, JM Vince, CR Woakes

Most popular

Watch: Joe Root hopes to have Jonny Bairstow fit by the fourth Test

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Jonny Bairstow.

England are hoping Jonny Bairstow recovers from his broken finger to play the fourth Test at the Ageas Bowl in Southampton.

Captain Joe Root said there is enough time to assess Bairstow’s fitness. Root added that Bairstow is more than qualified to play purely as a specialist batsman as the team has a ready replacement wicketkeeper in Jos Buttler.

Bairstow fractured his finger finger while keeping in India‘s second innings in Trent Bridge and Buttler wore the gloves thereafter. England slumped to a 203-run defeat in the third Test.

“We will have to see how that (fracture) settles down over time. We have got a bit of time until the next game,” Root said.

Watch the full video below.

Most popular