Ireland may have to wait beyond 2018 to make their Test debut, chief executive Warren Deutrom has warned.
Both Ireland and Afghanistan were awarded full membership to the International Cricket Council (ICC) last week as they met for their annual conference in London.
The two newest nations were voted in unanimously to become the first newcomers since Bangladesh in 2000 and take the number of full ICC members to 12.
Ireland have been playing as affiliate members since 1993 and have recorded famous victories over Pakistan, England and the West Indies in that time.
Now they will be able to play Test cricket against the world’s best – but scheduling a first match may take some organising and Deutrom believes it may prove difficult to shoehorn in around the other nation’s full schedules.
Asked by Press Association Sport if Ireland would play their first Test in 2018, Deutrom replied: “To be honest there are so many pieces of this jigsaw.
“It is probably somewhere between not wanting to wait years for our first Test match versus making sure we have the appropriate sense of occasion.
“Another consideration is that we are ready to play our first Test match as we haven’t played a five-day game yet.
“History would suggest that new full members play their first Test, at home, against a big nation within a year.
“But I know how much busier the full members are with their own schedules so trying to find a gap within 12 months in an already-congested schedule is incredibly difficult.
“We are going to do our best, we will have as many conversations as possible, but I can’t put any members on the spot, although quite a few have been generous to say ‘let’s have a conversation’.
“I don’t want to express disappointment if no-one is available because I know how packed those schedules are.”
With most Test-playing nations having fixtures planned, it could be that Ireland make their bow against fellow newcomers Afghanistan, with neither Deutrom nor his Afghan Cricket Board counterpart Shafiq Stanikzai ruling out that possibility last week.
The pair will also be pressing to learn when the financial benefits of being a full member of the ICC comes into play.
For Deutrom it could again prove to be something of a waiting game.
“My understanding is that, like any other business, the ICC will have budgeted for cash-flows in this year so to throw a couple of extra million in the pot may or may not be possible,” he added.
“I suspect it will be the beginning of next year when the financial distributions for being a full member will commence.
“My heart says it would be great to have the cash now, my head says it may well be better that we have six months sitting down and planning our priorities.
“The game should be patient while we get those right. There are a whole series of things that are questions to be answered.”
There have been reports recently that Mahela Jayawardene was in contention to become the next head coach of the Indian cricket team after Anil Kumble had left the position last week.
Jayawardene though isn’t keen on a full-time position and took to Twitter to clarify things.
“Flattered by speculation linking me to India coaching job but I am not looking at full-time positions right now.” he tweeted.
Flattered by speculation linking me to India coaching job but I am not looking at full-time positions right now.— Mahela Jayawardena (@MahelaJay) June 26, 2017
The Sri Lanka legend coached Mumbai Indians to the 2017 Indian Premier League title in his first season as head coach of the franchise. Following his success in the IPL, he was also named as the head coach of Khulna Titans in the Bangladesh Premier League.
Jayawardene added that his focus currently is completely on the two franchises that he coaches.
I am completely focused on current commitments with MI and Khulna.— Mahela Jayawardena (@MahelaJay) June 26, 2017
Two-time World T20 champion Dwayne Bravo hosted Indian cricketers at his house in Trinidad and Tobago on Saturday.
Bravo uploaded pictures of him with MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli, Shikhar Dhawan, Ajinkya Rahane and Bhuvneshwar Kumar on Instagram.
Bravo has been out of action since injuring his hamstring in a Big Bash League (BBL) match in December 2016.
The injury saw him miss the 2017 edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL), a tournament in which he has enjoyed a lot of success.
India are currently in the middle of a five-match ODI series which will be followed by a one-off T20 game against the West Indies.
The Men in Blue currently lead the ODI series 1-0 after winning the second match by 105 runs on Sunday. The first match was washed out due to rain.