Australia opener Aaron Finch left flummoxed by mixed implementation of new ICC regulations in Ranchi defeat

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Finch was not aware that DRS was available for the Ranchi T20I.

Australia opening batsman Aaron Finch has had a stellar time individually in his side’s ongoing tour of India despite the results going against the visitors so far.

The Victoria batsman scored 42 runs, the highest by an Aussie in the match, during his side’s nine-wicket loss to India in the rain-curtailed first T20I between the two sides at Ranchi on Saturday.

The 30-year-old however was not happy about the mixed implementations of ICC’s new rules and regulations for T20Is in the defeat at Ranchi. It seemed that Finch had not been made aware that the Decision Review System (DRS) was in place during the match in keeping with the new ICC changes.

“I didn’t know there was a review system until about the fifth over. Nobody did,” Finch told ESPNCricinfo.

“Steve Smith, when he ran out a drink, mentioned it. So, we had to ask the umpires. But it is quite strange to have a crossover of rules for this series. I mean bat sizes and things like that are coming in at the end of the series,” he clarified.

India's Shikhar Dhawan acknowledged the inconsistency.

India’s Shikhar Dhawan acknowledged the inconsistency.

Previously there are had been provisions for DRS in T20Is and the new rule changes grant one review to each team in a match.

The new regulations also state that in case of a game being reduced to under 10 overs, the fielding side will be allowed to have two of its bowlers throw down two overs each. Hence, Australia should have been allowed the luxury of having two of its bowlers throw down two overs in the six-over chase for India.

Ultimately, only pacer Nathan Coulter-Nile was allotted two overs during Saturday, a point which has further irked Finch.

Indian opener Shikhar Dhawan empathised with his Australian counterpart on the gaffe but said the rules which are in place cannot be ignored.

“I’m sure they (Australia) would have felt the inconsistency,” Dhawan said. “But whatever is the rule, is the rule. I’m not exactly aware of the rule you were talking about. But, it is what it is,” he added.

Most popular

Related Sections

Sri Lanka’s proposed T20I against Pakistan in Lahore reportedly in doubt

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Several among Sri Lanka's squad remain uncertain over touring Pakistan.

Pakistan’s efforts to organise the final T20I against Sri Lanka at the Gaddafi stadium in Lahore has hit a roadblock after reports emerged that the Lions are reluctant to make the trip to Pakistan.

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) had agreed a deal in principal with Cricket Sri Lanka (SLC) to stage the final T20I in Lahore as opposed to the UAE where the two sides are currently battling it out in the Test series.

However, according to reports, the islanders will take a final call on the matter after the visit of an independent security expert to assess the situation in Pakistan later this week.

PCB chief Najam Sethi had hoped that the successful visit of the ICC World XI in September would open the doors for more international sides to tour the country.

It is believed that several of the Sri Lankan players want to help Pakistan in its quest to bring back international cricket but will wait for approval from the independent security committee before making up their decision.

“We will be meeting ICC officials this week and will get their views on the current security situation in Pakistan. If they provide a positive feedback, we will send a representative to assess the situation again before making a final decision,” SLC CEO Ashley de Silva told the Sunday Times.

Meanwhile Pakistan’s selection committee head Inzamam-ul-Haq remains positive that the proposed match at Lahore will go ahead.

The former Pakistan skipper lamented the fact that the country has to play its home matches in a neutral venue and hopes for an improvement within the next two years.

The PCB hopes that the visit of the World XI will encourage other teams.

The PCB hopes that the visit of the World XI will encourage other teams.

“It is very sad that we have to play our home games in neutral venues. It is damaging our cricket as our players don’t get the chance to play in our conditions, in front of our fans. It is very sad for Pakistan,” Inzamam told Cricbuzz.

“It is very tough on the players and we have suffered a lot. Hopefully things will get better in another two years’ time,” he added.

“I would like to thank the Sri Lankan board for agreeing to play the game. Apart from that last tour, whenever the Sri Lankans have come to Pakistan they have liked the country and done well. Similarly the Pakistani people also love the Sri Lankan team.

“Once the Sri Lankan team comes, hopefully in the next two or three years things will improve and Pakistan will regularly host matches,” the Pakistan great added.

The two sides will play a five-match ODI series in the UAE after the conclusion of the Tests with the third T20I at Lahore earmarked for October 29 in Lahore.

Most popular

Related Sections

South Africa's Kagiso Rabada fifth youngest to 100 Test wickets after Bangladesh demolition

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Rabada also became the highest Test wicket taker in 2017.

South Africa’s young pace sensation Kagiso Rabada breached numerous milestones en route to helping his side complete an utterly comprehensive victory by an innings and 254 runs in the second Test at Bloemfontein.

The 22-year-old, who has played as many Tests in his career so far, became the fifth youngest bowler to attain 100 wickets in the longer format after his second five-wicket haul of the match put the South Asians to the sword inside three days.

In doing so, Rabada also became the highest wicket taker in the calendar year as he went past the 50-wicket mark to bring his tally for 2017 to 54.

The Proteas bowler is now ahead of the spinner’s association of  Rangana Herath, Nathan Lyon, Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja in the wicket-takers lists for 2017, the only pacer in the top five.

Rabada has played 10 Tests in the calendar year and taken 54 wickets at a fantastic average of 20.96, the lowest among the top five.

His South Africa teammate Keshav Maharaj has also continued his excellent start so for in his Test career as he made it to the sixth spot in the list with 43 scalps to his name.

This was Rabada’s third 10-wicket haul in his fledgling career so far and he continues to lay claim to the mantle of the South Africa’s next pace spearhead amid the injuries to Dale Steyn.

The right-arm pacer had claimed 16 wickets in the Test series defeat to England prior to Bangladesh’s visit. He has claimed 25 wickets in the two Tests again Bangladesh so far to further underline his emergence as the next big thing in fast-bowling.

Most popular

Related Sections