Zimbabwe confirm dates for T20I tri-series also involving Pakistan and Australia

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
The T20I tri-series will be held in July.

Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) on Tuesday announced the schedule for the T20I tri-series also involving Pakistan and Australia in a press conference at Harare.

The cricketing board also released the dates of the five-match ODI series between Zimbabwe and Pakistan that will follow the T20I tri-series.

The T20I series will get underway on July 1 with the finals being held on July 8. Each of the three teams will play the others twice in a round-robin format before the best two sides advance to the summit showdown.

“Following months of negotiations, we are pleased to confirm we will be hosting a T20I triangular series involving Australia and Pakistan, followed by an ODI series against Pakistan,” Zimbabwe Cricket Managing Director Faisal Hasnain said.

“Playing two of the game’s biggest teams will provide us with a very welcome litmus test as we forge ahead with our plans to develop a stronger Zimbabwe side capable of consistently competing and winning against the best,” he added.

The ODI series between the hosts and Pakistan will begin five days after the tri-series on July 13 with the final match taking place on July 22.

SCHEDULE FOR T20I TRI-SERIES

July 1, Sunday: Zimbabwe vs Pakistan

July 2, Monday: Pakistan vs Australia

July 3, Tuesday: Australia vs Zimbabwe

July 4, Wednesday: Zimbabwe vs Pakistan

July 5, Thursday: Pakistan vs Australia

July 6, Friday: Australia vs Zimbabwe

July 8, Sunday: Final

SCHEDULE FOR ZIMBABWE-PAKISTAN ODI SERIES

July 13, Friday: First ODI

July 16, Monday: Second ODI

July 18, Wednesday: Third ODI

July 20, Friday: Fourth ODI

July 22, Sunday: Fifth ODI

Most popular

Zimbabwe Cricket coach Heath Streak reinstated and fired again

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Streak and his coaching staff were sacked once again.

Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) on Monday reinstated the national team coaching staff only to terminate their contracts later in the day.

The drama had started after the national team’s failure to qualify for the 2019 ICC World Cup following a defeat at the hands of the UAE in their final qualifier.

The cricketing board had demanded that the entire coaching staff step down after the loss or they would all risk being dismissed through a letter from ZC managing director Faisal Hasnain.

However, head-coach Heath Streak and his fellow coaches had initially defied the orders, claiming unfair treatment at the hands of the board.

Zimbabwe publication NewsDay has reported that Streak and batting coach Lance Klusner were served with the letters of their contract termination through their lawyers on Monday.

Streak and his staff had defied the ultimatum to resign.

Streak and his staff had defied the ultimatum to resign.

According to the report, the coaches’ representatives were initially informed that the ultimatum to dismiss their clients had been withdrawn by the board.

“After extensive consultations with our client on the position of the law, our client has resolved to unreservedly retract all and any communication leading to the ultimatum to resign and the subsequent dismissals against your clients.

“For the avoidance of doubt Zimbabwe Cricket has withdrawn the decision to summarily dismiss your clients,” part of the letter sent by ZC’s legal representatives to the coaches’ lawyers read.

But, on Monday afternoon, the coaches’ representatives were sent another letter, this time for the termination of their clients’ contracts with ZC.

“The process of recruiting new coaches has begun and I can safely say that we will have new coaches for the national team by end of April.” ZC board chairman Tavenga Mukuhlani said.

Most popular

Related Sections

Asia Cup shifted to UAE over India-Pakistan cricket row

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Cricket’s Asia Cup has been moved from India to the United Arab Emirates over Pakistan’s refusal to cross the border, as relations simmer between the arch rivals, the Asian Cricket Council said Tuesday.

The biennial event was due to be held in India in September, sparking protests from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) who called for the event to be relocated.

“This year’s Asia Cup is moved out of India to UAE and will be held from September 13-28,” Sultan Rana, the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) development and event manager, said.

India has suspended bilateral cricket ties with Pakistan since the 2008 attacks in Mumbai, which New Delhi blamed on militants based across the border.

However India has continued to square off with Pakistan in international events like the 2016 Asia Cup in Bangladesh, the World Twenty20 at home and the 2017 Champions Trophy in England.

The Asia Cup has been marred by strained Indo-Pak relations since its inception when the UAE hosted it in 1984.

Two years later, India pulled out of the event in Sri Lanka, while Pakistan refused to send its team to India when it hosted the cup in 1991.

With Pakistan and India unable to host, Bangladesh held three straight Asian Cups from 2012 to 2016.

Rana said six Asian teams will compete in the 50-over Asia Cup.

“India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Afghanistan are the five top teams while, there will be a qualifying round to select the sixth team,” said Rana, a former Pakistan first class player.

Meanwhile, the ACC Emerging Asia Cup was also jeopardised earlier this month when India refused to send their team to Pakistan to compete.

“Emerging Cup will now be hosted jointly by Pakistan and Sri Lanka in December this year,” said Rana.

India will play its Emerging Cup matches in Sri Lanka.

Most popular

Related Tags

Related Sections