The opening batman has gone on to play eight Tests, 79 ODIs and 25 T20Is with his last appearance for the men in green coming in a T20 clash against Sri Lanka in October 2012.
The 36-year-old has stayed away from the domestic game since 2014 after being struck by tendinitis.
Now, after overcoming the illness, the opener has announced his return to playing competitive cricked and expressed his gratitude to the Shahid Afridi Foundation along with the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for their support.
“I am fit and resuming cricket after a long time. My fans prayed for me because of which I am standing here and I am thankful for their support. I am also thankful to the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and Shahid Afridi Foundation for helping me in getting rid of the illness,” Nazir was quoted as saying by the Express Tribune.
The swashbuckling opener is targeting playing in various T20 franchise leagues at this stage in his career.
“I am just resuming cricket so I will see how long I can play. I had offers of playing in T20 leagues before as well but I couldn’t participate as I was not fit, but now I am in a good shape and will be eager to play if I get a suitable offer,” he said.
Nazir has accumulated 1, 895 runs for Pakistan in 79 ODIs with a career-best knock of 160 which came against Zimbabwe in the 2007 ICC World Cup. He has registered two centuries each in the ODI and Test format.
The opening batsman had been handed a one-year ban in February after he failed to disclose a spot-fixing attempt during the second edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL) to relevant authorities.
The batsman had also been imposed with a fine of a million rupees along with his one-year-ban by an anti-corruption tribunal.
The 28-year-old had already served his one-year ban before he attempted to appeal the monetary fine imposed on him. Simultaneously, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) had also lodged an appeal against Hasan’s sentence, calling it too lenient.
Both the appeals were heard by independent adjudicator Justice Hamid Farooq on Friday with Hasana’s ban ultimately being extended to four years.
“The independent adjudicator Justice (retired) Hamid Hussain has accepted (the) PCB’s appeal and lifted the ban to four years while upholding the fine,” PCB legal adviser Taffazul Rizvi told the media after the hearing.
The independent adjudicator also upheld the monetary fine imposed on Hasan.
Hasan, along with Sharjeel Khan, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Irfan and Nasir Jamshed had all been implicated in the spot-fixing scandal which rocked the second edition of the PSL.
His lawyer Kashif Rajwana has stated that the player intends to challenge Friday’s verdict in a court.
Hasan has played three ODIs and 10 T20Is so far for Pakistan and was a member of the victorious 2009 World Twenty20 winning squad.
Under overcast conditions, where rain made an appearance for the second day running, off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin top-scored for India with the bat with 29 as James Anderson once again showed why he is the king of swing bowling.
On a day where just over 35 overs of play was possible, we look at the key talking points.
ANDERSON IS KING AT LORD’S
With the first day being completely washed out due to incessant rain and the start of the second delayed due to another bout, the stage was perfectly set up for James Anderson to work his magic once again at one of his favourite stomping grounds.
The veteran pacer got to work immediately with the very first over of the day as he pegged Murali Vijay back with four consecutive out-swingers. With the fifth ball, Anderson bowled a fuller delivery which seemed to be drifting down the leg side as Vijay got himself into position for a flick.
The Indian opener was left completely flummoxed though as the ball moved away sharply after pitching and took his off-stump. That was just the start of Anderson’s wizardry with the English pacer then drawing a thick outside edge off the bat off KL Rahul with another outswinger which Jonny Bairstow had no troubles collecting. He returned later in the day to remove the well-set Ajinkya Rahane, Kuldeep Yadav and Ishant Sharma to complete his 26th five-wicket haul and move within a wicket of 100 dismissals at Lord’s.
CHETESHWAR PUJARA’S RUN-OUT WOES CONTINUE
Imagine being Cheteshwar Pujara right now. The top-order batsman signed up for a stint in county cricket with Yorkshire in order to prepare himself for the Test series only to see his poor form in the competition count against him when it came to the team selection for the Edgbaston Test.
When he was finally given his chance and recalled into the side for the Lord’s Test, his stay at the crease was short-lived with another run-out compounding his woes. The right-hander tapped an Anderson delivery towards point and called for a quick single which non-striker Virat Kohli responded to immediately. However, the Indian skipper applied the brakes mid-way through and sent Pujara back, who was run-out by a mile by debutant Ollie Pope as India lost their third wicket.
That dismissal means Pujara has now been run-out a staggering seventh time in Tests with five of them coming since 2016.
WOAKES MAKES UP FOR STOKES’ ABSENCE AS INDIA FLOUNDER
How England would cope with Ben Stokes’ absence was a burning question coming into the Test and it was one which got an emphatic response from Chris Woakes. The England all-rounder was lethal with the red-ball from the get go on Friday as he made India’s batsmen, including Kohli, dance to his tunes.
After seeing Ajinkya Rahane dropped by Joe Root off his bowling, Woakes got the big wicket of Kohli as some late away swing found the Indian skipper’s outside edge. Bowling an unrelenting line, Woakes soon found the edge off Hardik Pandya’s bat but Jos Buttler grassed the chance at second slip. In the next delivery, the same script was followed, only this time Buttler managed to cling on to the catch as India continued their downward spiral.
The late away movement Woakes was generating on Friday was too much to handle for India’s batsmen as he more than adequately filled the boots of the elsewhere occupied Stokes.