Will the ICC grant ODI status for Hong Kong at the Asia Cup in UAE?

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Will history repeat itself: Hong Kong was granted ODI status for the 2004 and 2008 editions

After Hong Kong defeated the UAE to qualify for the Asia Cup, the Associate side will be the only non-ODI nation that will be featuring in the main stage.

Hong Kong lost their ODI status when they finished behind Nepal, Scotland and the UAE in the World Cup Qualifiers in March. The three latter nations along with Netherlands secured ODI status until 2022.

That means when Hong Kong play India and Pakistan in Dubai on September 16 and 18, those matches will be classed as List A games unless the ICC grant them temporary ODI status just like they did in the 2004 and 2008 editions.

With the tournament beginning in Dubai on September 15, the ICC will have to make a decision quickly.

Just hours after Hong Kong beat the UAE by two wickets, there was already support for the sport’s governing body to allow ODI status for the minnows.

Former Australian batsman Dean Jones took to Twitter while Ireland batsman Kevin O’Brien also gave his view that the sport’s governing body should give the green light.

Most popular

Related Tags

Related Sections

Mixture of relief and disappointment for Alastair Cook in final Test against India

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Alastair Cook walks back after his first innings dismissal at the Oval.

Alastair Cook admits he was disappointed eventually to be dismissed, bowled off an inside-edge by India seamer Jasprit Bumrah for 71, but he spoke with relief too at stumps that he had done himself justice.

In his 161st and final Test, the innings which is likely to prove Cook’s penultimate in international cricket – after he announced his impending retirement – helped England close on 198 for seven.

Despite a late collapse of six wickets for 48 to an India attack who excelled themselves, England therefore retain prospects of sending their all-time record runscorer off with a win which would complete a 4-1 scoreline in a Specsavers series the hosts sealed last week.

Cook walked out to bat to a standing ovation, through a guard of honour from Virat Kohli‘s India, and the last thing he wanted of course was to let himself and an expectant crowd down.

“Because of the emotion, I just did not want to not get a score,” he told Sky Sports Cricket.

“I was so determined, because there is nothing worse than going out and not contributing…all the fuss about the week, and you don’t deliver the goods.

“Everyone says ‘just enjoy it, it doesn’t matter how many runs you get’ – but that is never the case. There is never a game of cricket like that.

“I am pleased with a bit of a score, but disappointed to get out when I did.”

Cook shared an opening stand of 60 with Keaton Jennings and then one of 73 with England’s new number three Moeen Ali (50).

The 33-year-old opener was touched by the reaction of a packed house, and the opposition, when he began his innings.

“It all happened so quickly, it is really weird,” he said. “The guard of honour is such a nice gesture, it is very kind of Virat and the Indians, but I was just focusing on the first ball.

Cook played on a Bumrah delivery on to his stumps.

Cook played on a Bumrah delivery on to his stumps.

“The reception I got was fantastic. It went on a bit, and that made me even more determined not to get out.”

Moeen Ali began to sense, during their hard-working partnership through a wicketless afternoon, that Joe Root’s prediction of a valedictory Cook century may prove accurate.

“Yeah, definitely,” he said. “When he got dropped I just said it was meant to be for you.”

Cook eventually succumbed to Jasprit, and after having to play against type for his deserved half-century, Moeen described India’s bowling as “one of the best attacks I’ve faced”.

He added: “I probably wasn’t good enough to nick them. When I went into tea, the guys were calling me Geoffrey Boycott.

“Then they came in, played and missed their first ball … and I was pretty happy with that!”

Cook concurred, describing Mohammed Shami’s wicketless efforts as “an unbelievable spell”.

He added: “The way the Indians bowled was fantastic. I think I played one pull and one cut shot all day – so full credit to them.

“Sometimes in Test cricket ,you have just got to suck it up.”

India spinner Ravindra Jadeja took two wickets to help out the seamers.

He said: “Everyone bowled well. Especially when the partnership between Moeen Ali and Alastair Cook was on, our plan was to stop the boundaries.

“Our plan was that if they didn’t get boundaries, they’d panic and play wrong shots and get out – and that’s exactly what happened.”

Most popular

Sunil Gavaskar lashes out at Indian team management for ignoring Karun Nair in final Test

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Karun Nair was not picked in the playing XI for the Oval Test.

Legendary India opening batsman Sunil Gavaskar has hit out at the team management following Karun Nair’s omission in the squad for the final Test against England at the Oval.

India handed a Test debut to Hanuma Vihari in the fifth and final Test against England which got underway on Friday. Vihari’s inclusion meant that Nair failed to find a berth in the playing XI after spending the entire summer on the sidelines.

Nair was named in the 18-man India squad for the five-Test series but failed to feature in a single game and will now return from England having only played in a warm-up game against Essex.

The Tamil Nadu batsman was also picked in the India squad for the one-off Test against Afghanistan in June this year but there too, he failed to make the playing XI. Nair’s last Test innings against England had resulted in a quick-fire triple century but a poor run in the series against Australia at home last year saw him sidelined from the squad.

“There is no argument that is going to ever satisfy me. What has Karun Nair done not to get in? I know he has not been your favourite player. You don’t want to pick him. He scores a triple hundred. You leave him out. He fails in a couple of games. You leave him out,” Gavaskar said during his commentary stint with Sony Six following the toss in the final Test.

Nair has failed to get a single Test on the England tour.

Nair has failed to get a single Test on the England tour.

“You have brought him back in the team. It could be the selectors who have brought him back. The team management probably doesn’t want him. And that’s why they haven’t given him the opportunity to play in this game,” he added.

Gavaskar believes that Nair has been hard done by and is entitled to an answer from the BCCI as to why he has continuously been ignored.

“How many Indians have got triple hundreds? Virender Sehwag twice and Karun Nair once. You don’t give that man an opportunity. So what are you trying to tell him? Look we don’t think you are a good player?” Gavaskar added.

“All the best to Hanuma Vihari. I really wish him well. Karun Nair has every right to ask the team management what he has done wrong. He deserves an answer. Why am I not picked? If you are going to pick an extra batsman, which they should have done from the first Test itself, and if you haven’t given him the opportunity, he deserves an answer.”

Most popular