England sack Moores: Hussain backs Gillespie for coaching role

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Gillespie (r) has been extremely successful with Yorkshire.

Nasser Hussain said former Australia fast bowler Jason Gillespie was the right man to revive England’s flagging fortunes following the sacking of Peter Moores as the national side’s coach.

– England: Moores out and Strauss in at the ECB
– #360view: Mumbai the IPL masters of leaving it late
– BANvPAK: Yasir Shah leads Pakistan to series win
– FOLLOW: Live cricket scores from around the world

Moores, also England coach from 2007 to 2009, was axed for the second time on Saturday, shortly after the England and Wales Cricket Board announced Andrew Strauss had been appointed to the newly-created role of director of cricket.

Paul Farbrace, currently England’s assistant coach, will be in charge for the upcoming two-Test series at home to New Zealand that starts at Lord’s on May 21. But that still leaves open the possibility that Gillespie, currently the coach of English county champions Yorkshire, could be in permanent command of his old foes when they face Australia in the first Ashes Test in Cardiff on July 8.

Under the 40-year-old Gillespie, Yorkshire have produced England regulars in batsmen Joe Root and Gary Ballance, with several others waiting in the wings.

Hussain, like Strauss an ex-England captain who played against Gillespie during the paceman’s 71-Test career that yielded 259 wickets, told Sky Sports: “I really like Jason Gillespie, I have to say. What Yorkshire have done as a club, their academy structure, it’s absolutely phenomenal.

“You just have to look at the England set-up to see how many good Yorkshire players are coming through, and I think Jason takes a lot of credit for that — and the way he’s handled himself.”

Gillespie was brought on board at Headingley four years ago by incoming ECB chairman Colin Graves, who then held a similar role with Yorkshire.

“Any opportunity that comes up you obviously look at,” Gillespie told the Adelaide Advertiser. “It is flattering but I still have a job to do.”

Both Moores’s exit and Strauss’s appointment had long been trailed in the British media, particularly after England’s embarrassingly early departure from this year’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.

Speculation about the 52-year-old coach’s future intensified last week after England’s five-wicket defeat inside three days in the third and final Test in Barbados meant they were held to a 1-1 draw by a West Indies side labelled “mediocre” by Graves before the series started.

Reports that Moores would indeed be sacked emerged on Friday during England’s washed-out one-day international away to Ireland in Malahide. But it wasn’t until Saturday that the ECB confirmed his dismissal.

That led former England captain Michael Vaughan to say that the way in which the ECB handled Moores’s departure had been “disgraceful”.

“I am not the biggest fan of Peter Moores as a coach but I like him as a person and the only word I can use for the way his sacking was handled is disgraceful,” wrote Vaughan, England’s captain when they won the Ashes in 2005, in his Daily Telegraph column.

“It is not the first time this has happened. News broke of Alastair Cook’s sacking as one-day captain before he knew about it and now the same has happened with Peter.

“It is a poor way to treat two men who have given everything to English cricket.”

Most popular

Related Sections

England sack Moores, Strauss role change

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Peter Moores (l) sacked as Andrew Strauss gets new role (r).

Peter Moores has been sacked as coach of the England team by the England and Wales Cricket Board as former captain Andrew Strauss was given the new role of director of cricket.  

– #360LIVE: Delhi Daredevils vs Sunrisers Hyderabad
– 
Twitter reaction:  Kolkata Knight Riders’ IPL win over KXIP
– 
Yasir Shah leads Pakistan to Bangladesh series win

“The ECB confirms that Peter Moores has left his role as England head coach today (Saturday),” said a board statement.

The board said Strauss had been involved in the decision to fire Moores following “private conversations” with ECB chief executive Tom Harrison.

Moores has now lost the job of England coach on two occasions, having initially been fired from the post in 2009 after a bust-up with then captain Kevin Pietersen.

His second spell in charge, which came after he replaced Andy Flower following the team’s 5-0 Ashes thrashing in Australia in 2014, lasted just over a year.

It yielded just one series win, at home to India last year, and included England’s embarrassing exit from the World Cup, where they failed to beat a single Test side. 

Afterwards came the recent 1-1 series draw in the Caribbean against a West Indies side labelled “mediocre” by incoming ECB chairman Colin Graves.

“At the moment it’s difficult to put into words how I feel except to say how disappointed I am in the way my term as England coach has ended,” said Moores in the same ECB statement that announced his exit.

Harrison, paying tribute to Moores, said: “Peter is a man of great integrity and has offered a huge amount to England cricket.

“This decision has been made as we focus on the future and our need to build the right approach and deliver success over the next five years within a new performance structure.”

Assistant coach Paul Farbrace will now take charge of England for their upcoming two-Test series with New Zealand starting at Lord’s on May 21.

Both Strauss’s appointment and Moores’s exit had been widely trailed in the British press and were announced in successive ECB statements on Saturday.
     
‘Frustrations along the way’    

Moores, whose tenure concluded with Friday’s washed-out one-day international way to Ireland, lamented what he said was the ECB’s lack of patience.

“My record in developing players stands for itself and though we have had some frustrations along the way I am confident that this team will go on and bring the success the supporters desperately want to see,” said the 52-year-old Moores.

“I knew when I took on the role that this was going to be a tough period for English cricket and I would need time and support to get new players through. 

“My frustration is not being given that time,” the former Sussex and Lancashire coach added.

Prior to Saturday’s announcement former England all-rounder Andrew Flintoff, who played under Moores during his first spell in charge of the national side, tweeted: “His agenda is England winning, he needs the players to hold up their end too.”

But England great Geoffrey Boycott said Moores was “a nice man” but “out of his depth at international cricket”.

Farbrace – best known as coach of the Sri Lanka side that won last year’s World Twenty20 – may be the man in possession, his ‘caretaker’ status means the  speculation linking Jason Gillespie to the England coaching position is set to continue.

Now the coach of English county champions Yorkshire, having been brought on board at Headingley four years ago by Graves, the ECB’s statements on Saturday left open the possibility of the former Test fast bowler coaching against his native Australia in the Ashes series in England starting in July.

Meanwhile the ECB said Strauss’s new role would have responsiblity for the England team’s long-term strategy, as well as its coaching and management structures.

Strauss, twice an Ashes-winning captain, was the overwhelming favourite to land the post of England director of cricket, a job created by the ECB last month following Paul Downton’s sacking as managing director.

“Andrew’s breadth of ideas, his passion for England cricket and his proven leadership skills shone out,” said Harrison.

“We’re delighted he’s joining us at the ECB as we set out to create a new strategy for the game.”

Most popular

Related Sections

Yasir Shah leads Pakistan to Bangladesh series win

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Back on track: Pakistan.

Leg-spinner Yasir Shah claimed a match-haul of seven wickets as dominant Pakistan crushed Bangladesh by 328 runs in the second and final Test in Dhaka on Saturday to clinch the series 1-0.

– Ali double century puts Pakistan in control of final Test
– INTERVIEW: WI legend Brian Lara looks back on career
– Boycott accuses England Test captain Cook of arrogance

The hosts, who resumed their second innings at 63-1 chasing an improbable target of 550, were shot out for 221 in the post-lunch session of the fourth day at the Sher-e-Bangla stadium.

Shah, who took three for 58 in the first innings, once again baffled the Bangladesh batsmen with his leg-spin and googly on the wearing pitch to grab four for 73 in the second knock.

Mominul Haque played a lone hand for the hosts with 68, joining West Indies great Vivian Richards and the Indian duo of Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir as the only batsmen to score 50 runs or more in 11 consecutive Tests.

Shuvagata Hom hit 39, sharing a ninth-wicket stand of 44 with Mohammad Shahid, to steer Bangladesh past the 200-run mark after they were reduced to 143-7 The match ended at the fall of the ninth wicket as Shahadat Hossain was unable to bat after suffering a serious knee injury on the first day.

The win helped Pakistan end an otherwise dismal month-long tour on a positive note after being routed 3-0 in the one-day series and losing to Bangladesh for the first time in a Twenty20 international.

It was Bangladesh’s ninth loss to Pakistan in 10 Tests, the only consolation coming through a draw in the first Test of the short series in Khulna last week.

Pakistan turned the screws on the hosts with four quick wickets in the morning session to leave the rivals tottering at 126 for five.

Seamer Imran Khan, a late replacement for the injured Rahat Ali, dealt two major blows when he removed the in-form Tamim Iqbal and Mohammad Mahmudullah in the space of nine runs.

Tamim, who slammed a double-century in the first Test, was caught behind by wicket-keeper Sarfraz Ahmed for 42 as he slashed at a short delivery from Imran.

Mahmudullah made two when he edged Imran to second slip where Younis Khan picked up the catch on second attempt as Bangladesh slipped from 86-1 to 95-3.

Off-spinner Mohammad Hafeez struck in his first over when Shakib Al Hasan (13) stepped out to loft a flighted ball and gave Wahab Riaz an easy catch at mid-off.

Bangladesh captain Mushfiqur Rahim had yet to score when he dragged a delivery from Yasir onto the stumps as Bangladesh went to lunch at 134-5.

Left-arm seamer Wahab dismissed Soumya Sarkar soon after resumption for one, before Asad Shafiq took a sharp, low catch in the covers off Yasir to remove the defiant Mominul.

Shuvagata lashed out at the end with six boundaries before he was bowled by Junaid Khan to seal Pakistan’s comprehensive win.

Most popular

Related Sections