FA introduce retrospective diving ban - Players who could've been suspended

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Some players could be left to sweat after the Football Association voted in favour of introducing retrospective bans for players who dive or feign injury from next season.

From Rivaldo’s theatrical grasp of the wrong part of his anatomy, to Gordon Watson’s ludicrously delayed topple in the Leeds box, the game has seen it all.

Here we pick out some of the more extreme examples of simulation which would be ripe for punishment under the FA’s new rules:

RIVALDO (Brazil, 2002)

The Barcelona star collapsed clutching his face late in his country’s World Cup clash with Turkey in 2002 – despite Turkey’s Hakan Unsal having kicked the ball at his leg while he was waiting to take a corner. FIFA fined a resolutely non-contrite Rivaldo a trifling £5,180, but decided not to suspend him.

He said: “I’m not sorry about anything. Obviously the ball didn’t hit me in the face, but I was still the victim.”

SLAVEN BILIC (Croatia, 1998)

Bilic denied France hero Laurent Blanc the chance to play in his home World Cup final after his dramatic response to a bit of shirt-tugging in their last four clash. Late in the game, Bilic went down holding his face, prompting the Spanish referee to issue Blanc the only red card of his career.

Replays showed contact was dubious. Years later Bilic insisted: “It wasn’t like Mike Tyson, but I was struck. I panicked and collapsed.”

GORDON WATSON (Sheffield Wednesday, 1992)

Leeds were cruising to victory at Hillsborough when Chris Whyte went to sweep the ball away from Watson in the box and the Owls star hesitated, had a long think, then flipped to the ground, winning a penalty from which Wednesday would briefly reduce the deficit.

Watson was held up to ridicule, and admitted much later: “It’s the most disgraceful dive you’ll ever see. It was the fact I took a step before going down. I over-egged it.”

KYLE LAFFERTY (Rangers, 2009)

When Lafferty and Aberdeen’s Charlie Mulgrew squared up on the touchline during their Scottish Premier League clash in 2009, the Rangers man went down as if he had been Glasgow-kissed – not, as replays would clearly show – air-kissed.

Mulgrew was sent off, but such was the resulting furore that Lafferty was fined and reprimanded by his club, forced to issue a fulsome apology, and banned for two matches by the SFA.

SERGIO BUSQUETS (Barcelona, 2010)

Busquets got Inter Milan’s Thiago Motta sent off less than half an hour into their Champions League semi-final clash at the Nou Camp when he feigned injury after a so-called “clash” with the Italian. Replays showed Thiago’s fingers had barely tickled the Barcelona man’s chin.

An incensed Motta railed: “He always does it. I have seen it on TV and he is holding his face and then looking at the referee – it is terrible behaviour.”

*From Press Association

Most popular

Related Sections

Transfer Gossip: Alves, Sissoko, Tolisso, Bernardo Silva

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

With the season coming to a close, the transfer window is about to open.

Rumours are gathering apace and we take a look at the latest stories doing the rounds in the media.

DANI ALVES

With Kyle Walker looking likely to leave Tottenham in the summer Yahoo are reporting that the club will turn to Juventus full-back Dani Alves to replace the England international.

The 34-year-old has one year left on his lucrative deal with the Serie A giants and the report says there is an option for a third campaign.

However, the right back is said to be keen on a move to the Premier League and Spurs have apparently offered a two-year deal with the option for a third.

RATING: 6/10

SPORT360 VERDICT: The former Barcelona defender has previously talked about a move to England and given his age, this probably represents his last opportunity to fulfill that ambition.

It would be a move away from Spurs’ usual transfer policy given his age but undoubtedly he’s been one of the best right backs in the world this season having been a central figure in Juve’s charge for a trophy treble.

Should Walker depart it’s a move which makes sense.

MOUSSA SISSOKO

Sticking with Spurs and France midfielder Sissoko has been surprisingly linked with a move to Barcelona with AC Milan and Real Madrid also reportedly interested in the 27-year-old.

The £30million (Dh142m) buy from Newcastle has been nothing short of a flop this season having only turned out 13 times for the North Londoners this season.

However, Don Balon are saying the La Liga giants could be ready to help resurrect his career.

RATING: 2/10

SPORT360 VERDICT: Just don’t see it. It sounds an awful lot like Sissoko’s agent is trying to alert potential suitors and if that’s the case, they’re looking in the wrong direction.

The transfer window is upon laides and gentleman, prepare yourselves for rumours even more farcical than this one.

CORENTIN TOLISSO

Arsene Wenger is plotting a major overhaul of his Arsenal squad – providing as expected he signs a new deal at the Emirates Stadium – and the Lyon star is thought to be chief among his targets.

The midfielder is valued at £30million (Dh142m) according to the Mirror but they will have to compete with Serie A clubs Napoli and Juventus for his signature.

Tolisso’s desire to break into France’s squad for the 2018 World Cup is said to be a fundamental factor in his desire to leave after Lyon failed to qualify for the Champions League.

RATING: 5/10

SPORT360 VERDICT: When dissecting this rumour the first reason for doubt is the fact Arsenal are unlikely to secure Champions League football for next season as well.

However, the size and stature of the club could be enough to tempt the 22-year-old into a switch. Keep an eye on this one.

 

BERNARDO SILVA

He’s a target of Manchester United and the talented Portugal midfielder has said he dreams of leaving Monaco for one of the “best teams”.

“I am finishing my third season in Monaco, who gave me the opportunity to play at a higher level,” he said in an interview with SIC.

“But of course, every player dreams of playing for the best teams and in the best divisions one day. I’m no exception.”

The 22-year-old is said to be valued at around £70m (Dh333m) while United are also looking at Real Madrid’s James Rodriguez.

RATING: 6/10

SPORT360 VERDICT: Monaco have just beaten Paris Saint-Germain to the Ligue 1 title and reached the Champions League semi-final this season. It’s fair to surmise that they are one of the best teams in Europe right now and if they can keep the squad together will remain a force.

Silva is their chief creator and forms part of the young nucleus which makes this side tick. It’s hard to comprehend them allowing him to leave but then United have deep pockets and a vacuum to fill in midfield.

WHAT ELSE IS GOING ON…

An update on the Watford managerial vacancy

Most popular

Related Sections

Transfer Gossip: Donnarumma, Aubameyang, Griezmann, Walker

Alex Rea 17/05/2017
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

With the season coming to a close, the transfer window is about to open.

Rumours are gathering apace and we take a look at the latest stories doing the rounds in the media.

GIANLUIGI DONNARUMMA

Manchester City are set to step up their interest in the AC Milan goalkeeper and according to the Daily Mail are the favourites to sign the teenager this summer.

The Premier League giants will apparently table a £30million (Dh142m) offer to prize the 18-year-old away from the San Siro.

The report says Donnarumma only has one year left on his current deal and has so far failed to agree new terms with the Serie A club.

RATING: 4/10

SPORT360 VERDICT: It’s no surprise to see Man City linked with signing a new goalkeeper considering the issues Pep Guardiola has had at No1 this season with Claudio Bravo and Willy Caballero both failing to impress.

But Italy international Donnarumma, widely seen as the heir to Gigi Buffon’s throne, is the brightest goalkeeping talent on the planet and it’s incredibly difficult to see why AC Milan would be willing to let him leave – at any price given world class stoppers are at a premium.

His agent is Mino Raiola so there is every chance this rumour is a negotiation tactic as they try to tie up a new deal with Milan.

PIERRE-EMERICK AUBAMEYANG

The Borussia Dortmund forward could be ready cash in on a move to China having reportedly been offered an £800,000-per-week (Dh3.7m) deal, so say France Football.

Tianjin Quanjian’s proposal would make him the highest earner in world football, surpassing the eyewatering £798,000 (Dh3.6m)  Ezequiel Lavezzi makes at Hebei China Fortune.

The Chinese Super League club would apparently be prepared to pay Dortmund £68m (Dh322m) to prize him away from the Bundesliga.

RATING: 3/10

SPORT360 VERDICT: Another day, another rumour linking a big name player from Europe with a lucrative move to China.

While the figures talked about will no doubt turn his head, the 27-year-old is coming into the peak of his powers and a move to China is undoubtedly a step down.

He’s always talked up a move to Real Madrid so you can’t help but feel that would be the switch he’d make if he did leave Dortmund.

ANTOINE GRIEZMANN

Real Madrid are exploring the possibility of signing the Atletico Madrid frontman.

It would need Gareth Bale to depart to Manchester United this summer to finance the move according to Spanish outlet Don Balon.

Bale’s injury concerns means Real are apparently looking at targets elsewhere and they’re not looking too far away to find their man.

RATING: 6/10

SPORT360 VERDICT: One day it’s Manchester United, the next it’s Real Madrid.

It seems a lot of things need to fall into place for this deal to happen but Griezmann will be hot property on the market this year.

If Real are serious, they almost always get their man and there is a distinct possibility they’ll be looking to build on a squad which will could be defending the Champions League and La Liga trophies next season.

KYLE WALKER

The Daily Mirror is reporting that Chelsea are ready to hijack Manchester City’s attempts to sign the Tottenham full-back.

The England international could be set for a summer exit, with City the favourites to sign him, but the Premier League champions are preparing a £40million (Dh189m) move.

RATING: 7/10

SPORT360 VERDICT: There are strong rumours that Kyle Walker has fallen out with Mauricio Pochettino and the club are looking to offload the right-back.

The 26-year-old is one of the best full-backs around and Pep Guardiola is known to be in the market for that position.

However, the newly-crowned Premier League champions will be a tantalisingly prospect so we could have a real tug of war on our hands.

Most popular

Related Tags

Related Sections