Zlatan Ibrahimovic could play for Man United again as Jose Mourinho says Swede may sign new deal

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Manager Jose Mourinho has said it is “possible” Zlatan Ibrahimovic could yet sign a new deal at Manchester United.

Striker Ibrahimovic is a free agent but it currently recovering from knee surgery at the club’s training ground.

Both Los Angeles-based Major League Soccer clubs – Galaxy and Los Angeles FC – are interested in signing the Swede if he decides to end his career outside Europe.

But, United have not ruled out signing the 35-year-old Sweden international on a short-term contract once he returns to full fitness.

Mourinho said: “If the decision is to stay and wait until December – he can’t be back until them – why not wait? We are speaking and changing ideas.”

Ibrahimovic has said he will make a “big announcement” about his future soon.

Mourinho, meanwhile, says he wants two more signings, but “at least” one before the start of the new Premier League season.

Most popular

AC Milan confirm shock €40m transfer of Leonardo Bonucci from Juventus subject to a medical

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Italy defender Leonardo Bonucci has completed a shock switch from Serie A champions Juventus to their rivals AC Milan.

The 30-year-old, previously linked with Manchester City and Chelsea, was a key part of the Juve squad which has won the last six titles, but he has now opted for a new challenge with the Rossoneri.

Pending the successful outcome of a medical, Bonucci will sign a five-year contract at San Siro, Milan announced on Friday evening. The reported transfer fee is €40 million.

A day earlier the Lazian centre-back – a 70-time Italy international – sparked intrigue among Juve fans by tweeting: “I’m ready to start over again!”

Their initial faint fears were well-founded as the player for so long part of a solid three-man defence alongside Giorgio Chiellini and Andrea Barzagli has departed the Allianz Stadium in dramatic fashion.

In a video published on Twitter, Bonucci was seen arriving at the Casa Milan headquarters at around 2pm local time on Friday, with his car greeted by around 200 excited fans as it drove past.

It marks a return to San Siro for Bonucci, who began his career with Milan’s foes Inter, but he made only one substitute appearance in the league along with a handful of Coppa Italia matches.

He had loan spells at Serie B sides Treviso and Pisa before he joined Genoa in 2009. However, he was almost immediately transferred to Bari in a co-ownership deal.

He was ever-present in his one season with Bari, forming a strong central-defensive partnership with Andrea Ranocchia, before being snapped up by Juve.

It is the latest move in an ambitious summer of recruitment by Milan’s new Chinese owners, who have already funded the purchases of Andre Silva, Ricardo Rodriguez, Hakan Calhanoglu, Andrea Conti, Mateo Musacchio, Franck Kessie and Fabio Borini.

Lazio midfielder Lucas Biglia is expected to follow and the club have even been linked with Borussia Dortmund’s prolific striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

Provided by Press Association Sport

Most popular

Kyle Walker is "excited and nervous" to be working with Pep Guardiola after sealing Man City switch

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Kyle Walker is targeting silverware with Manchester City after joining from Tottenham in a deal that has made him one of the most expensive defenders ever.

It is understood England international Walker, 27, has cost City an initial £45million, with an additional £5m possibly heading Spurs’ way if various add-ons are met.

That basic figure would not eclipse either the £50m Paris Saint-Germain spent on David Luiz in 2014, nor the £47.5m City themselves parted with to land John Stones last summer.

This is despite Walker’s agency, Base Soccer, saying on Twitter that their client had commanded “a record fee for a defender and record fee for an English player”.

Whatever the eventual sum amounts to, it is a significant outlay for City and once again takes their spending in a summer transfer window under Pep Guardiola beyond the £100m mark.

Walker has been a key figure in a Spurs team that has finished above City in each of the past two seasons, yet he did not win a collective honour in his eight years in the capital, a fact he wants to remedy in his new surroundings.

“With the size of the club, we need to go on and pick up silverware, get trophies left, right and centre, and hopefully that can add to my CV because I haven’t won that many things so far in my career,” Walker told CityTV.

“Tottenham was a great club, it helped me to get me to where I am now. I’ve learned a lot, especially under the current manager ( Mauricio Pochettino ), he’s been fantastic with me.

“But sometimes your path isn’t there and you have to move on and what a place to come and take a different path. Just win trophies – that’s all I’m about and all I want to do.

“Hopefully we win titles, that’s what I’ve come here for; the most important thing is actually winning a title.”

The full-back regions were an obvious area of need for City this summer following the departures of Pablo Zabaleta, Bacary Sagna and Gael Clichy at the end of the previous campaign.

City’s hierarchy held talks with Guardiola’s old Barcelona right-back Dani Alves over a move from Juventus only for the 34-year-old to this week choose to join Paris St Germain instead.

Guardiola’s admiration for Walker was long-standing, though, and he called him and Tottenham colleague Danny Rose “the best full-backs in the league” after a draw with Spurs in January.

And a deal for Walker was quickly concluded following confirmation of Alves’ PSG switch.

“What a manager to work under,” Walker added. “I’m excited, and a little bit nervous, I’m not going to lie.

“It’s the next chapter in my career where I can go on and learn. I think I’m at a good age now where I’m probably at the peak of my career and I just want to try and be the best player I can be.

“He’s very positive, says I’m going to fit into his style of play really well. The main thing that we’ve both said is just winning trophies. It’s a massive club, a great set of players in the team and we need to go out and win things.”

Walker will now head to America with his new colleagues on Monday for City’s pre-season tour and he could come up against his old Spurs team-mates in a friendly in Nashville later this month.

His spot in the Tottenham team is expected to be filled by Kieran Trippier, with Pochettino preferring the former Manchester City trainee in certain games towards the end of last season.

Provided by Press Association Sport

Most popular