LA Galaxy confirm Zlatan Ibrahimovic signing from Manchester United

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Zlatan Ibrahimovic has completed his move to the LA Galaxy.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic‘s move to the LA Galaxy has been confirmed by both player and club, with a video announcing his arrival released on social media followed by an official announcement.

In typical Ibrahimovic fashion, the striker’s tweet with the video was accompanied by the message “Los Angeles, welcome to Zlatan”.

He also took out a full-page ad in the LA Times announcing his move, declaring, “Los Angeles, you’re welcome”.

The team later confirmed the move on their website.

“Coming to play in the United States, it is only fitting for me to join the most successful team in Major League Soccer, the LA Galaxy,” said Ibrahimović of joining the only team to have won the MLS Cup five times.

“I am excited to join a club with a winning legacy that has embodied soccer in Los Angeles for over 20 years. I would like to thank everyone at the club for making it possible to play for the LA Galaxy.

“I am looking forward to joining my teammates, playing at StubHub Center in front of our fans and helping our team compete this season.”

Head coach Sigi Schmid highlighted LA Galaxy’s delight at having signed the former Malmo, Ajax Amsterdam, Juventus, Inter Milan, Barcelona, AC Milan, PSG, and Manchester United striker.

“Adding one of the finest goal scorers in this sport’s history to our roster will tremendously help our club in the hunt for a sixth MLS Cup,” Schmid said.

“As one of the winningest players of all time, we believe he’ll have a very positive impact on our team.

“We are confident that Zlatan can be one of the most dangerous strikers in our league and we are excited to integrate him into our club.”

Ibrahimovic, 36, was released from his United contract on Thursday in order to allow his MLS move to go through.

Most popular

Related Sections

Zlatan Ibrahimovic signs with LA Galaxy in MLS

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Zlatan Ibrahimovic and the Los Angeles Galaxy confirmed the Swedish star’s move to Major League Soccer on Friday, announcing the deal in a Los Angeles Times advert.

“Dear Los Angeles, you’re welcome,” the enigmatically worded full-page advert read, above Ibrahimovic’s signature and a Los Angeles Galaxy logo.

A photo of Ibrahimovic wearing a Los Angeles Galaxy appeared above a separate story on the front page of the Times’ sports section.

The 36-year-old’s move to MLS had been widely reported on Thursday after Premier League giants Manchester United confirmed the player had been released from his contract.

The Galaxy have not released deals of Ibrahimovic’s transfer but Sports Illustrated have reported that the forward has inked a two-year deal worth $3 million.

Ibrahimovic’s transfer comes after a serious knee injury last year disrupted the end of his stint with Manchester United, who he joined in 2016 from Paris Saint-Germain.

The charismatic goalscorer had not played for United this season since featuring in a 2-2 draw against Burnley on December 26.

Ibrahimovic scored 28 goals in 46 appearances during a remarkable first season in the Premier League before tearing knee ligaments in a Europa League game last April.

Most popular

Related Sections

UAE footballing community gets behind Kick Cancer campaign and Bin Challenge

Nick Watkins 23/03/2018
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Freddie Kanoute attended the awareness launch.

YouTube stars F2 Freestylers challenged former Tottenham and Sevilla striker Freddie Kanoute to the Dubai Bin Challenge to raise awareness for the Kick Cancer campaign.

Footballing tricksters Billy Wingrove and Jeremy Lynch have developed a cult following with their skills and challenges on social media. The duo have over six million subscribers with vast fans viewing their football showboating and have bought the Bin Challenge to the UAE, starting with the Dubai Festival City launch.

Ex-Premier League star Kanoute attended the event with young players from his academy in Dubai. The Mali legend took a few attempts himself to complete the challenge, which sees challengers use a piece of skill to land a football in the bin.

The Kick Cancer campaign aims to raise awareness and positive change for prostate and testicular cancer, which affects one in three men. Barcelona star Luis Suarez is also supporting the campaign and school outreach programmes across the UAE.

Speaking to Sport360 Kanoute said: “It is an important campaign to be involved in because so many men will be affected by cancer during their life. These events are a good platform to raise awareness and funds to help those in need.”

After completing the Bin Challenge, the 40-year-old outlined the difference between footballers and freestylers.

“We know the kids love watching these skills on YouTube all the time but it’s a different sport really, us footballers look ridiculous compared to these guys, but I did the challenge second or third time, so it wasn’t that bad.”

Support from all for the Bin Challenge.

F2 Freestyler Billy added: “It’s great being involved in the campaign, we’re amazed at how far we’ve come as freestylers to be asked to be involved in something like this. At first we had a dream of getting six million YouTube subscribers because there was someone doing a similar sort of thing as us and we wanted to catch them. Now we’re on seven million so it’s incredible that, even though we never made it as footballers, we’re getting the same satisfaction out of inspiring kids using skills instead.”

“We’re surprised at just how big it’s gone”, admitted fellow Freestyler Jeremy Lynch. “We always had a vision for the F2 and we actually have to move quickly when we’re creating our skills videos, we’re only human, we don’t always get it right first time but if it takes more than ten minutes we just move on to something else. One video we’ve not made yet that we’d like to is to do something with Ronaldinho, who seems to do a lot of work out here in Dubai so hopefully that can happen.”

Suarez actively participated in the campaign by starring in a public awareness advert, which premiered at the launch event.

For more information visit Kickcancer.ae.

Most popular

Related Tags

Related Sections