Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde hails Philippe Coutinho signing

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde is looking forward to working with Philippe Coutinho after the club announced his arrival in a record-breaking deal on Saturday.

Coutinho, 25, will move from Liverpool in a deal worth 160 million euros ($192 million), the third-biggest transfer in football history and a club record deal for Barcelona.

The Brazilian has agreed a contract through to 2023 at the Camp Nou, with Barcelona fans seeing him as the long-term successor to Andres Iniesta, and Valverde is aiming to make the most of the Brazilian’s adaptability and ability to play in a range of positions.

“I think he can bring a lot to the team. He scores and sets up goals, and going forward he can help us a lot as he can play both inside and out wide,” remarked Valverde after Barcelona’s comfortable 3-0 La Liga win over Levante on Sunday.

“He is versatile and we can take advantage of his versatility.”

The deal had been in the pipeline for months, with Barca failing with several bids in August after losing Neymar to Paris Saint-Germain in a world-record 222 million-euro deal.

And having previously tried to avoid talking about Coutinho, Valverde can now look forward to welcoming him into his squad for a busy second half of the season.

“It is a signing that has been talked about for a long time, although it was not something I was keen to discuss,” said Valverde, whose team are still unbeaten in La Liga and sit nine points clear of Atletico Madrid at the top of the table.

“He is here now, and good luck to him, because if he has luck then it will be good for us.”

Capable of playing on the wing and in a more withdrawn midfield role, Coutinho’s arrival provides a wealth of new options to Valverde, although he will not be able to play in the Champions League knockout phase having already featured in the competition for Liverpool.

“We will wait until I have seen him train for a day at least until we talk about that,” added Valverde when pressed on where the ex-Inter Milan man would fit into his team.

“It is true that I have seen videos of him playing in different positions, for Liverpool and for his country. But let’s wait and see.

“I hope he adapts quickly, although good players adapt quickly to any circumstances.”

Lionel Messi sent Barca on their way to victory against Levante with a goal on his 400th La Liga appearance, which was followed up by strikes from Luis Suarez and Paulinho.

Paulinho, a team-mate of Coutinho’s with Brazil, said: “He is a great player, a magnificent player. I am certain he will really help Barca to attain our objectives this season. We hope to see him playing for us as soon as possible.”

Provided by AFP Sport

Most popular

Related Tags

Related Sections

Mixed bag from Dembele and other things learned from Barcelona's win over Levante

Andy West 7/01/2018
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Lionel Messi marked his 400th appearance in La Liga with the opening goal as Barcelona eased to a 3-0 win over Levante at the Camp Nou on Sunday.

Messi’s 365th goal in Spain’s top flight came inside 12 minutes, with Luis Suarez adding the second before the interval and Paulinho completing the victory late on as Barcelona stretched their lead at the top of the table back to nine points over Atletico Madrid.

But it was Messi who broke the deadlock from a Jordi Alba assist, a combination that has proved fruitful on so many occasions this season.

The second goal arrived seven minutes before the interval, as Suarez controlled Sergi Roberto’s fine ball into the box before firing home.

It was the Uruguayan’s 400th professional goal, his 131st for Barca putting him seventh on the club’s all-time list of leading scorers.

Here’s a look at what we learned from the encounter.

Mixed bag from Dembele

Ousmane Dembele was a surprise selection in the starting line-up from Ernesto Valverde, and at times even the French winger himself looked like he didn’t expect to be out there.

This was a real mixed performance from the former Borussia Dortmund. There were flashes of skill and moments of promise, especially after 25 minutes when he cut inside from the right wing and concluded a speedy burst with a powerful drive to force a good save. But Dembele also did a lot of things badly, including a clumsy early pass which allowed Levante to mount a dangerous counter-attack.

Perhaps more importantly, his inclusion served to significantly unbalance the team shape, with his position on the right touchline not really mirrored by anyone on the left-hand side, giving Barca an asymmetrical look.

In fact, it was difficult to see the formation they were supposed to be playing. Perhaps a 4-2-3-1, with Dembele and Andres Iniesta on the wings? Or perhaps a standard 4-4-2 without the ball, switching to a 3-5-2 in possession, with Dembele and Jordi Alba as wingbacks? And then occasionally they’d switch Dembele to the left wing in a conventional 4-3-3.

Whatever they were trying to do, it didn’t look convincing and would surely have been punished by better teams than Levante. Dembele has potential, no doubt, but there’s still an awful lot of work to do before he becomes an effective member of this Barca team.

Dembele

Coutinho’s challenge…and opportunity

With new record signing Philippe Coutinho reportedly watching from a nearby hotel ahead of his imminent unveiling, the man he is intended to eventually replace took the chance to show exactly how big a challenge the Brazilian faces.

Andres Iniesta produced some beautiful silky touches in the first half, rolling back the years to conjure up some delightful combination play with Lionel Messi and Jordi Alba, showing Coutinho precisely what he will be expected to do with the ball but also working hard without it to maintain the team’s shape – another key requirement facing the new arrival.

However, later on it also became apparent why Coutinho has been so badly needed. Iniesta faded from the game after the break and was then replaced by Andre Gomes, keeping up his record of failing to complete a full 90 minutes so far this season. Iniesta is still a wonderful player but he is running out of steam, and before too long Coutinho will have a chance to make that position his own.

Philippe Coutinho 6

Rakitic excels in the Busquets role

One of Barca’s most important mainstays throughout the last decade has been the soothing presence of Sergio Busquets in the centre of midfield, snuffing out opposition attacks with his calm reading of the game and ticking over possession with a fabulous range of passing.

Busquets was suspended for this game, but he wasn’t missed at all thanks to an excellent performance from Ivan Rakitic, who delivered a more than passable Busquets impression as he occupied a deeper midfield role than usual and executed his task to perfection.

Rakitic hasn’t always looked comfortable this season, with games sometimes tending to pass him by. The former Sevilla captain often looks as though he’s having to play within himself for the good of the team’s structure, but paradoxically on this occasion dropping into a deeper position allowed him to exert a great attacking influence. And even if he eventually loses his automatic starting place in the new-look Barca, the Croat certainly remains an extremely important squad member.

Ivan Rakitic

Most popular

Related Tags

Related Sections

Antoine Griezmann and other players Barcelona must buy in the transfer market

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Antoine Griezmann is expected to leave Atletico.

Barcelona are set to spend in the January transfer window, with Liverpool attacker Philippe Coutinho of course being touted as the biggest transfer in world football at the moment.

While the Brazilian is firmly on Barca’s wanted list, there are other areas in which the La Liga leaders can strengthen on the pitch.

Here, we assess the options available to the Barcelona hierarchy and manager Ernesto Valverde in the January transfer market and beyond.

Starting with defence…

CENTRE-BACK

Realistic: Yerry Mina

Outsiders: David Luiz, Andreas Christensen

The 6ft3 Colombia centre-back Yerry Mina is almost certainly the next defender to join the Catalan giants, with arch-pragmatist Valverde making it a priority to strengthen his backline.

Indeed, reinforcements are desperately needed as veteran club stalwart Javier Mascherano is expected to return to his native Argentina or even China this month for €10million.

There is concern, too, with Samuel Umtiti who is reportedly in fledgling talks with Manchester City after the discovery of his €60million release clause .

If both the Frenchman and Argentine depart, Valverde would be left with just Gerard Pique and Thomas Vermaelen at centre-back, which is why a summer switch for Mina will be brought forward.

The Blaugrana signed a first-option for Mina last summer but the Palmeiras defender is expected to complete a €9million move this month.

Valverde could still be left needing another option, though, and that’s where Chelsea misfit David Luiz comes to the fore.

The Brazilian could be available straight away given his public falling out with boss Antonio Conte. The former PSG defender’s experience and ball-playing abilities make him very much in the Barcelona mould but at 30 and after numerous defensive howlers, he is perhaps not an option the club want to turn to for the future.

However, staying on the topic of Chelsea defenders, and Dane Christensen, another centre-back who is confident with the ball at his feet, would be worth a punt.

After a deeply successful loan stint at Borussia Monchengladbach, the 21-year-old has emerged as one of the best young defenders in Europe, coincidentally knocking Luiz out of the Blues first-team.

His youth, grace and tenacity will surely have the likes of Barca paying attention should Umtiti swap Spain for England.

SAO PAULO, BRAZIL - NOVEMBER 27: Yerry Mina (L) and Felipe Melo of Palmeiras in action during the match against Botafogo for the Brasileirao Series A 2017 at Allianz Parque Stadium on November 27, 2017 in Sao Paulo, Brazil. (Photo by Alexandre Schneider/Getty Images)

23-year-old Mina is expected to join Barcelona.

PLAYMAKER

Certainty: Philippe Coutinho

Outsider: Mesut Ozil, Paulo Dybala

Barcelona’s long-term pursuit of Liverpool star Coutinho has been well-documented and the transfer appears to be close to a resolution this month, with the Brazilian expected to join the Camp Nou club for a staggering fee €160million.

Having had multiple bids knocked back for the Kop No10 in the summer, Barca will not want to miss out this time around and there’s no doubting the 25-year-old would prove to be a hit in La Liga.

It’s easy to an argue that Coutinho is a player that they need, too – especially if they are going to start challenging for the Champions League again in future seasons and thwarting the domination Real Madrid have enjoyed under Zinedine Zidane in each of the past two years.

To put Coutinho in the same side as Lionel Messi and the returning Ousmane Dembele makes a Barca’s XI truly world-beating. Add in the experience of Luis Suarez and the talent in midfield areas then it would be a fascinating mix of star names.

The incoming Brazilian is viewed as the long-term replacement heir to Andres Iniesta – but let’s not forget the Barcelona legend is still playing fine football and only agreed lifetime terms with his boyhood side last summer.

There is a school of thought that Barca should have waited until the summer to sign Coutinho, given the fact they are nine points clear at the top of La Liga and he is cup-tied for the second phase of the Champions League.

Should president Josep Maria Bartomeu feel the club should not usurp the money they spurgled on Dembele for Coutinho, then Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil is surely an alternative.

The World Cup-winning German, who has been impressive of late for Arsene Wenger’s Gunners, is out of contract in June and therefore able to speak to other clubs as of now.

Ozil’s Real Madrid connection could be an issue, and although he is far from a Los Blancos cult hero, crossing the divide may not go down well. At 29, the attacker may see his next move as the final big one of his career and to land a player of Ozil’s quality on a free is nothing to be sniffed at.

Technically, he is still as good as anyone and created more chances (119) than any other player in Europe’s top five leagues last year. However, his questionable work-rate and energy levels don’t compliment a free-flowing front formation in which much of the onus will be on working hard to press and get the ball to Messi.

It’s worth throwing Dybala’s name into the hat but rumours linking the former Juventus man to Spain at this current time are pure speculation – and it won’t happen anytime soon.

LONDON, ENGLAND - JANUARY 03: Mesut Ozil of Arsenal rubs with ball during the Premier League match between Arsenal and Chelsea at Emirates Stadium on January 3, 2018 in London, England. (Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)

Ozil is out of contract this summer.

STRIKER

Realistic: Antoine Griezmann

Outsiders: Mauro Icardi, Alexis Sanchez

Atletico Madrid star Antoine Griezmann has been lined up for a €100million switch and there are plenty of rumours that some kind of arrangement has already been made, with Barca chief Bartomeu having met the forward’s family.

The return of Diego Costa to the Spanish capital and sluggish form of Griezmann, with the striker only netting five league goals this term, has only heightened talk his exit from the Wanda Metropolitano.

Griezmann would obviously be a star acquisition and a replacement, long-term, for Luis Suarez and the 26-year-old knows the league better than most. The France star is the focal point Barcelona need and his unselfish play and ability to create and link-up with those around him could help Messi.

The fact he has also been a thorn in the side of Real Madrid over the past couple of years is another attraction but it’s a deal Barcelona won’t be able to pull off alongside Coutinho in January. It may well have to wait until the summer though questions could be asked as to whether he has actually improved as a player in recent times.

Inter Milan captain Mauro Icardi is a man also touted as a striker who fits the bill, but Real Madrid are also chasing his signature. Both he and Alexis Sanchez – the former Barcelona man who is available on a free next summer – are very much alternative options but could potentially involved less paperwork.

Atletico Madrid's French forward Antoine Griezmann looks on during the Spanish league football match RCD Espanyol vs Club Atletico de Madrid at the RCDE Stadium in Cornella de Llobregat on December 22, 2017. / AFP PHOTO / Josep LAGO (Photo credit should read JOSEP LAGO/AFP/Getty Images)

Griezmann is linked to Barcelona.

Most popular

Related Sections