Lionel Messi's new Barcelona contract could be worth over €100m per year

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Lionel Messi, who recently penned a lucrative new contract with Barcelona, could comfortably earn more than €100 million every year, according to a report released by France-based Mediapart.

Journalists from European Investigation Collaborations (EIC) claimed to have seen the details of the updated contract signed by Messi on November 25.

According to the report, Messi is guaranteed around €70million a year in salary and image rights with more coming from a €63.5million signing bonus and €70million “loyalty bonus” for the period of the contract which stretches to 2021.

The mind-boggling deal, revealed as part of “Football Leaks” was to offset an approach for the Argentine from great rivals Real Madrid.

The group claimed that in June 2013, an email exchange between the player’s lawyer Inigo Juarez and his father Jorge, explained that Real were prepared to shell out the €250million release clause that Messi commanded.

Most popular

Related Tags

Ernesto Valverde guarantees Barcelona won't take Celta Vigo lightly in Copa del Rey second leg

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Barcelona were held to a 1-1 draw at Celta Vigo in the first leg of their Copa del Rey tie.

Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde has warned his side against complacency ahead of the deciding leg of their last-16 Copa del Rey tie against Celta Vigo.

Valverde’s team head into the second leg at the Nou Camp on level terms with their opponents following last week’s 1-1 draw at the Estadio Municipal de Balaidos.

Barcelona youngster Jose Arnaiz scored the opener – with Valverde fielding a weakened side – before Pione Sisto ensured Celta gave themselves a fighting chance to progress to the quarter-finals.

The visiting team will be full of confidence after drawing 2-2 with Barcelona’s rivals Real Madrid on Sunday and Valverde, who is likely to call upon Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez for the second leg, insists progression to the last eight must not be taken for granted.

“We can’t think that the result is in our favour because then there is the risk we will make a mistake,” Valverde said. “We won’t think like that. We want to win from the very first minute.

“The tie is slightly tilted in our favour because of the away goal but the advantage is minimal. We are going to try and win the game as if it was a league match, and that is how we have to approach it.

“We want to try and create chances because it is all or nothing as only one team will go through. It is a tie we have to win and it will be a good game to watch.”

Barcelona, nine points clear at the summit of La Liga, completed the finishing touches on Philippe Coutinho‘s British-record transfer from Liverpool, which could be worth up to £142million, on Sunday evening.

The 25-year-old Brazil international was paraded at the Nou Camp 24 hours later, but his debut will be delayed by three weeks due to a thigh injury.

Commenting on his arrival at the Catalan club, Valverde added: “He’s a great signing because he can adapt really well to the team’s style of play, he can play out wide or in the middle and he can score goals as well as creating them.

“We hope he will help us a lot and we are excited about his arrival. I am sure he will bring something different to the team.”

The likely presence of Messi in the line-up will not shift Celta’s tactical approach.

Coach Juan Carlos Unzue, a former Barca assistant boss under Luis Enrique, told Marca: “I don’t feel like employing man-marking on him for 90 minutes, even though some coaches have tried it.

“In a given moment you could mark Messi to make him uncomfortable, but what do we do with the rest of them? With [Andres] Iniesta, Luis Suarez, [Ousmane] Dembele and others?

“That’s why I think more about teamwork.”

Most popular

Philippe Coutinho meets new Barcelona team-mates and Luis Suarez again

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Back together: Coutinho and Suarez (via @LuisSuarez9 Twitter).

Philippe Coutinho met his new Barcelona team-mates for the first time on Tuesday following the completion of his €160million move to the Camp Nou.

Barcelona striker and former Liverpool teammate Luis Suarez welcomed his new colleague on Twitter, along with giving him a warm welcome at the club’s training facility.

Coutinho, who has signed a contract until 2023 with the runaway Spanish league leaders, played alongside Suarez at Liverpool until the Uruguayan made the same move in 2014.

The 25-year-old Brazilian did not take part in Tuesday’s training session with the rest of Ernesto Valverde’s squad as he has been ruled out until the end of January with a thigh injury.

Barcelona’s club record signing could make his debut against Alaves at the Camp Nou on Sunday, January 28.

The Catalans, who play Celta Vigo on Thursday in the second leg of their Copa del Rey last-16 tie, also saw French defender Samuel Umtiti return to training on Tuesday.

Umtiti had been expected to miss eight weeks after suffering a thigh injury in a 2-2 draw with Celta in La Liga on December 2, but could now come back a little earlier.

Barcelona drew 1-1 away to Celta in Galicia in the first leg last week as they look to win the Copa del Rey for the fourth season running.

Most popular