Ronaldo suggested he could call time on his Madrid career just moments after they clinched their third consecutive Champions League against Liverpool, saying “it was very nice to be at Real Madrid”.
However, Fernandes insists Ronaldo is unfazed by the speculation as Portugal’s most capped player looks to help his side win back to back major tournaments following their triumph at Euro 2016.
“I have nothing negative to say about Cristiano, he looks focused and doesn’t look at all worried about his future,” said Lokomotiv Moscow midfielder Fernandes, speaking at Portugal’s World Cup team base camp on the outskirts of the Russian capital.
Portugal share Group B with Morocco and Iran, but face their toughest test in their opening game against Spain on Friday in the evening kick-off.
Ronaldo is Portugal’s all-time leading scorer with 81 goals in 150 senior caps but, at 33, this could be his final major international tournament.
Cristiano Ronaldo “doesn’t look at all worried about his future” according to Portugal team-mate Manuel Fernandes.
Though he seemingly backtracked the following day, telling Madrid fans “see you next year” at their trophy parade, reports from Portugal last week claimed he has decided to leave the Spanish capital.
However, the speculation has not affected his preparations for the World Cup, according to Fernandes.
“I have nothing negative to say about Cristiano,” said Lokomotiv Moscow midfielder Fernandes on Monday. “He looks focused and doesn’t look at all worried about his future.”
Portugal kick off their World Cup campaign on Friday with a crucial Group B encounter against Spain.
Ronaldo reportedly blames Perez for Zinedine Zidane‘s departure which has left the club stunned.
The Bernabeu outfit have yet to find a replacement, though Mauricio Pochettino, Jurgen Klopp and Arsene Wenger have all been linked with the post.
And Ronaldo is reportedly ready to go on record and reveal all on the mysterious circumstances that have led to this situation.
The 33-year-old five-time Balon d’Or winner has sparked rumours he would leave the Bernabeu this summer after nine years at the club.
Almost immediately after helping his side secure a third Champions League trophy in a row, the Portugal international hinted his time at Los Blancos was nearly up.
Ronaldo said: “In the next few days I will give an answer to the fans that have always been on my side.
“It was very nice to be at Real Madrid, in the coming days I will talk about it more.”
And according to Diario Gol, the fallout has continued with Ronaldo and Perez locking horns over Zidane’s shock departure.
United, on the other hand, have already made moves in the transfer market – with Fred and Diogo Dalot set to join up with the squad – while they could be more interested in Ronaldo’s Los Blancos teammate Gareth Bale.