Morning, it’s Alex Broun here giving you a bitesize look at what’s going on today.
FIFA have announced their 10-man shortlist for its annual Best Men’s Player award, with many of the usual suspects making the cut.
Cristiano Ronaldo is among the favourites to win it again, but this year it’s not Lionel Messi who is his greatest challenger – World Cup winner Kylian Mbappe and the tournament’s best player Luka Modric.
We check out all the contenders HERE.
Along with the player’s shortlist the shortlist for Coach of the Year has also been announced.
World Cup-winner France’s Didier Deschamps looks like the front runner but he has some stiff competition in three-peat Champions League boss, Real Madrid’s Zinedine Zidane, and the conqueror of the Premier League, Manchester City’s Pep Guardiola.
We look at all the candidates HERE.
Joe Root hopes to be a big source of runs for England in the eagerly anticipated Test series against India, but his part-time off-spin bowling could also come in handy after he took a stunning four wickets for just five runs in Yorkshire’s win over Lancashire in the Roses clash in County Championship.
Sport360 cricket writer Ashish Peter looks at why Root’s contributions will be valuable with both the bat and ball.
FEATURE OF THE DAY
Former Bordeaux forward Malcom looked all set to sign for Roma on Tuesday but out of the blue (and red) Barcelona swooped into hijack the Brazilian wonderkid.
It won’t be the last time a player is stolen from under the noses of a prospective employer.
Matt Jones takes a fascinating look at five of the biggest football hijackings in history from Roy Keane to Ronaldinho.
SOCIAL MEDIA ROUND UP
There was no World Cup glory for Cristiano Ronaldo in Russia but Manchester City’s Bernardo Silva is convinced the Juventus forward has what it takes to be playing in the 2022 edition.
Ronaldo will be 37 by the time the tournament is next held but Portugal team-mate Silva believes his compatriot is getting better every year and there’s no reason why he shouldn’t feature.
Watch what the 23-year-old said about Ronaldo below:
Cristiano Ronaldo has paid £12.1 million to Spanish tax authorities in an effort to settle a dispute over tax fraud.
The 33-year-old has also accepted a two-year suspended prison sentence and will pay a further £4.7 million in fines and costs, according to Spanish radio station Cadena Cope. However, it is a sentence he will never have to serve, as for administrative crimes in Spain, a first sentence with a term of two years or less is not custodial.
Ronaldo is among several football stars who plied their trade in La Liga to be taken to court over Spanish tax disputes.
Ronaldo was said to be upset by the case itself, as well as a perceived lack of support from Madrid hierarchy in his battle with the tax authorities. The same reason was given for his desire to leave last summer, though he was ultimately convinced to stay for a year.
His anger at the authorities was well-documented, as he was irate at being treated like a ‘criminal’ over what he felt was a misunderstanding due to Spain’s complex laws surrounding image rights.
It was claimed that he wilfully defrauded the Spanish government by not declaring earnings on image rights from 2011 to 2014, but Ronaldo always insisted he was innocent.
He voluntarily paid an extra £5 million in taxes in 2014 in a vain attempt to set the record straight.
Ronaldo’s decision to pay the fine is being interpreted as a means of the player cutting all ties with Spain. He is reportedly set to pull his business interests out of Madrid as well, and the player has also reportedly put his £4.8 million mansion in one of the capital’s most premium neighbourhoods up for sale.
He is also set to give up on a planned hotel project in Madrid’s famous ‘Gran Via’ street, despite having only gotten a license to convert a historic building into a 160-room luxury hotel earlier this year.