Tottenham's Harry Kane expected back in training next month

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Harry Kane is in line to make a quick recovery.

Harry Kane has damaged lateral ligaments in his right ankle and is expected back in training next month.

Kane has endured several absences with ankle problems over the last two seasons, first damaging ligaments against Sunderland in September 2016.

While Tottenham have largely stayed on track without him, there is no denying their performance has been affected.

Kane has won the Premier League golden boot for the last two seasons and shares the lead once more this time around, so it is no surprise that the biggest impact is to their goals-per-game record – dropping from an average of 2.3 per game in all competitions with Kane to 1.7 without him.

Focusing on league matches alone, Spurs’ points-per-game tally is also affected – dropping from 2.2 per game to a round two. While that may seem a small difference, it represents a point every five games or 7.6 over the course of a season.

Kane has appeared in all but one of their 30 games to date this season – without him, we could expect them to be six points worse off which would drop them out of the Champions League places into fifth.

They made light of his departure against Bournemouth on Sunday as Son Heung-min stepped into a central role to score twice in a 4-1 win.

That took the Korean eighth in this season’s top-flight scoring chart with 12 goals and he has 30 in 91 in his Premier League career, or 0.3 per game.

He cannot compare to Kane’s 0.7 goals per game, though it should be noted that Son often operates from a deeper or wider role in support of Kane and has far fewer shooting opportunities.

Kane’s absence is, as manager Mauricio Pochettino noted after the Bournemouth game, a “concern” for Spurs – but they have shown before that they can cope without him and will remain confident of a top-four finish.

Most popular

Arsenal 'no closer' to resolving Jack Wilshere contract, says Arsene Wenger

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Jack Wilshere is out of contract at the end of season.

Jack Wilshere’s Arsenal future remains in doubt after manager Arsene Wenger insisted “nothing has changed” in the negotiations over a new deal for the midfielder.

The England international is out of contract at the end of the season and can walk away for nothing if no fresh terms are agreed.

Wilshere has re-established himself in the Arsenal first team this season after years of injury torment and a campaign spent out on loan at Bournemouth.

But, despite becoming an integral part of Wenger’s side in recent months, the 26-year-old has yet to agree a new contract, with reports suggesting the offer on the table is for a lower basic salary than his current deal.

Due to his history of injuries, it is claimed any new deal will be heavily incentivised based on appearances and, after Wenger said contract talks would open last December, Wilshere said after the 2-0 Europa League win at AC Milan that the situation was at an impasse.

Asked if he had anything to say on his contract wrangle after Wenger claimed the ball was in the player’s court, Wilshere replied: “Not really, no.

“Things have changed since then. All I can tell you is that we are no closer to sorting anything out.”

Wenger offered a different take on the issue when speaking ahead of Thursday’s last-16 second-leg meeting with Milan.

“On my side, nothing has changed,” he said. “I don’t know, but Jack will be free at the end of the season.

“We make a proposal to him, I want him to stay and my desire is to see him linked to the club for the future. I hope he will do it.”

While Wilshere’s Arsenal future is still up in the air, he is likely to be given a fresh chance to bolster his World Cup prospects.

Gareth Southgate announces his England squad on Thursday ahead of a friendly double-header against the Netherlands and Italy.

The Three Lions boss has spoken in the past about Wilshere having to be playing regular Premier League football to stand a chance of making his World Cup squad.

Now the player has earned his place back, Wenger believes he should be given an England recall, with his last cap coming in the shock defeat to Iceland at Euro 2016.

Asked if he thought Wilshere had done enough to be included, Wenger replied: “Yes and I wish he is in the England squad.

“The vibes I get are positive. I believe he has a good chance to be in there, but we have to leave that to Gareth Southgate. I have enough to do with my job.”

Most popular

Ashley Young urges Man United to use Champions League disappointment in quest for FA Cup glory

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Ashely Young backs United to quickly bounce back from their Champions League loss.

Ashley Young intends to use Manchester United‘s Champions League disappointment as a catalyst for victory in their crucial FA Cup quarter-final against Brighton.

Jose Mourinho‘s men are reeling from Tuesday’s shock Old Trafford exit to Sevilla in a last-16 tie few expected to go the Spaniards way.

However, United failed to heed the warning signs displayed in a goalless first leg and promising return display by the Andalusians in Manchester, where Wissam Ben Yedder’s brace inspired a famous 2-1 win.

It leaves the Red Devils’ season at a crossroads given the FA Cup remains their only realistic shot at silverware, with left-back Young well aware of the importance of winning Saturday evening’s quarter-final against Brighton.

“When you don’t score goals, you don’t win the game,” the England international said.

“When you concede, it’s obviously hard to get yourselves back into the game.

“We obviously scored the goal to get us back into it, but there wasn’t enough time.

“It’s obviously disappointing, there’s a lot of disappointment in there, but you have got to dust yourselves down and take the disappointment into the weekend.

“We’ve got another cup competition we’ve got to go and play for and we want to get ourselves back to winning ways and into the next round in that competition.”

Young, speaking to beIN SPORTS, understood the reaction to a loss in “a game of this magnitude”, but did not feel United took progress to the Champions League quarter-finals for granted.

“Every team in this competition is dangerous,” he added. “You wouldn’t be in this competition and this far into the competition if it wasn’t.

“We knew they had danger, but I felt when we started the game, we started off brightly and we had a few chances that just didn’t want to go in.

“On another day it would have gone in, but it wasn’t meant to be today and, like I say, we are disappointed.”

Most popular

Related Tags