West Ham are looking for a new manager after confirming David Moyes has left the club.
The former Everton, Manchester United and Sunderland boss lifted the Hammers out of the relegation zone after replacing Slaven Bilic on a short-term contract in November.
But an eventual 13th-placed finish, thanks to seven points from their final three matches, was not enough to earn the 55-year-old Scot a new deal.
In echoes of Sam Allardyce’s departure from Everton earlier on Wednesday, many West Ham fans were not happy with Moyes as manager and it seems joint-owners David Sullivan and David Gold have acted accordingly.
However, Moyes had also made it clear in recent weeks that changes behind the scenes at the club would be required if he were to be persuaded to stay on, which may not have gone down well with Sullivan.
Assistant coaches Alan Irvine, Stuart Pearce and Billy McKinlay have also left the London Stadium.
In a statement on the club website, Sullivan said: “I would like to place on record my sincere thanks to David Moyes and his staff for achieving the target of keeping West Ham United in the Premier League.
“Throughout his time here, David has carried himself with dignity and honesty and we have all found him to be a pleasure to work with.
“He, Alan, Stuart and Billy accepted the challenge and attacked it head on, turning around a difficult situation. They deserve great respect for the job they have done and they leave the club with our best wishes.
“When David and his team arrived, it was the wish of both parties that the focus be only on the six months until the end of the season, at which point a decision would be made with regards to the future.
“Having taken stock of the situation and reflected now the campaign is complete, we feel that it is right to move in a different direction.
“We are already taking steps to identify and recruit the manager we believe can take West Ham United forward in line with our ambitions.
“We aim to appoint a high-calibre figure who we feel will lead the club into an exciting future for our loyal supporters within the next 10 days.”
Everton have sacked Sam Allardyce less than six months after appointing him to get them out of trouble, the club have announced.
While the 63-year-old achieved his initial target of steering the club away from the threat of a relegation fight quite early in his reign, the rest of the season has not gone so well.
He was an unpopular choice with supporters at the time and a growing section of the fanbase became increasingly opposed to him continuing in the role, leading to a toxic atmosphere at Goodison Park in the latter stages of the campaign.
The 27-year-old Belgium playmaker is under contract until 2020 and is reportedly mulling over an extension.
Chelsea pulled off a coup in signing Hazard in the summer of 2012, but the club’s transfer business has been more circumspect since.
Asked what would persuade him to sign, Hazard said: “I’m waiting for new players next season. I want good players because I want to win next season the Premier League.”
Hazard acknowledges this is likely his last lucrative, long-term deal. But he made it clear he was in no rush to leave amid persistent rumours linking him with Real Madrid.
He added: “That’s why I’m taking my time. It’s something big. I need to think about a lot of things.
“One thing I’m sure is that I’m happy here.”
Any supporters seeking reassurance that Saturday’s FA Cup final with Manchester United would not be Hazard’s last match for Chelsea could take some encouragement from his words on Tuesday.
“I think it’s not my last game. It’s the last game of the season, that’s it,” he added.
“For me in my mind I’m here. I have one week to play now. Saturday is a massive game. I just want to win.”
Hazard, who will go to the World Cup with Belgium this summer, said he was not sure when his future would be resolved.
He also insisted the uncertainty surrounding Antonio Conte’s position as head coach has had no impact on the squad.
Conte’s future has been the subject of speculation all season, with many expecting the Italian to leave this summer.
Hazard added: “We don’t think about that. We’re just focused on the game. We have one game to play and then we’ll see what happens at the end of the season.”
Hazard announced his arrival at Chelsea after their memorable Champions League win six years ago.
And if Chelsea can lift the FA Cup on Saturday then the European Cup will be the one major honour to elude him during his time at Stamford Bridge.
“I need two more trophies, Champions League and FA Cup. That’s it,” Hazard said.
Chelsea won the Premier League in Conte’s first season as head coach for Hazard’s second championship winners’ medal in England.
But the Blues finished fifth this term and have failed to qualify for next season’s Champions League.
“We’re Chelsea. We need trophies at the end of the season,” Hazard added. “At the moment we have nothing. We have not qualified for the Champions League. So the season has been bad.
“If we can’t be in the Champions League we need the trophy.
“It’s up to us to save the season with the FA Cup. I’ve never won the FA Cup. I hope this year is for me and for Chelsea. We will give everything.”
Chelsea and Hazard face a familiar foe in Jose Mourinho, who had two spells as Blues boss.
Hazard added: “We know how he will play. We all know that. That’s why we need to be ready.”