Jack Wilshere joins West Ham on three-year deal

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

West Ham have announced the signing of Jack Wilshere on a three-year contract following his release by Arsenal.

The midfielder, 26, left the Gunners after 17 years when his contract expired last month.

Born in Hertfordshire, Wilshere grew up in a family of Irons supporters. “It feels good, it feels special,” he said on West Ham’s website.

“Many people know that I’ve had a special bond with this club growing up.

“People will have seen the picture of me in a West Ham shirt and I’ve got good memories of my childhood supporting West Ham, watching them at Upton Park.

“It feels good and of course my family and a few of my friends are West Ham fans so everyone’s buzzing.”

Wilshere, who won the FA Cup twice with Arsenal and has 34 England caps, is set to fly out to Switzerland to link up with new West Ham manager Manuel Pellegrini’s squad at their pre-season training camp.

West Ham director of football Mario Husillos added: “Manuel and I identified him as a target as soon as we joined the club and we are delighted to have succeeded in securing Jack’s signature above a number of other teams.

“Jack is a player with vast experience and quality at the highest level, having played all of his career in the Premier League.

“On the biggest stage, he has shown that he has game-changing abilities, as well as having the creativity and intelligence to make a real difference to our squad.”

Borussia Dortmund’s Ukraine international Andriy Yarmolenko is another reported target, with a deal in the region of £17.5million said to be in the pipeline.

Our new midfielder has arrived… #WelcomeJack pic.twitter.com/kPd7hm4YxZ

— West Ham United (@WestHamUtd) July 9, 2018

More to follow…

Most popular

Lucas Torreira confirms Arsenal move ahead of medical

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Lucas Torreira is on his way to Arsenal.

Lucas Torreira has confirmed he is on his way to Premier League club Arsenal for his medical.

After a terrific campaign for Uruguay at World Cup 2018 in Russia, the 22-year old midfielder is heading to the Gunners for a £25million fee from Sampdoria.

After Oscar Tabarez’s team crashed out of the World Cup, due to a 2-0 quarter-final defeat to France, Torreira opened up and explained he was heading straight to London and not going along his Uruguayan team mates to celebrate their campaign.

He told Telenoche: “I would have been very happy to be able to return to Uruguay with my team-mates, but this is a fantastic opportunity [to join Arsenal] and I do not want to waste it.”

The youngster will become Unai Emery’s fourth signing since being named manager of the club.

The former PSG boss has already secured the services of goalkeeper Bernd Leno, defender Stephan Lichtsteiner and Sokratis Papastathopoulos.

Most popular

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp hails new talent Naby Keita and Fabinho

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp insists only top-quality talent like new signings Naby Keita and Fabinho will be considered for his squad this summer.

The £100million pair made their first appearances in a Red shirt, playing 45 minutes apiece in the 7-0 friendly win at Chester.

Keita, in particular, slotted in seamlessly after the break and created one goal with his counter-pressing.

Klopp said he was helped by the fact former club RB Leipzig play a similar style and it would take Fabinho longer to adapt as Monaco’s football was different.

Asked what the pair will bring to the side, the Liverpool manager said: “Quality. It’s all good.

“You saw Naby comes from Leipzig and knows the football philosophy as it’s a similar one.

“He’s very sharp in the challenges, very quick in mind in these situations of counter-pressing, his impulses look kind of natural, which is good.

“Monaco played a completely different style, so Fabinho probably needs a few more days.

“But he’s a fantastic football player, a good passer, his challenges are good, a proper defensive midfielder with the option of being a number eight as well.

“If you want to be a part of our squad then you need to be good and these two boys are.”

Liverpool led 2-0 at half-time thanks a double from Wales international Harry Wilson but after the break Daniel Sturridge, who looked fit and sharp, scored twice, with Ryan Kent, James Milner (penalty) and Danny Ings completing the scoring.

Goalkeeper Loris Karius also had his first outing since his disastrous Champions League performance, where he was responsible for two of Real Madrid’s goals – with the club subsequently learning he had suffered a concussion.

The German made one good save, deflecting Jordan Archer’s shot over the crossbar and then late on in the first half did well to claim a high cross one-handed under pressure.

“It was a difficult save but he made that and it looked good and the high ball it was difficult,” added the Reds boss.

“Many goalkeepers would have dropped it and then everyone would have been ‘Oh that happened’ and it starts again.

“I need cool down the whole situation and play football and work on our weaknesses, use our strengths and everything will be good.”

Most popular