Andreas Pereira wants Jose Mourinho to help him become a serial winner at Manchester United

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Andreas Pereira featured for Manchester United against Leicester

Manchester United midfielder Andreas Pereira is relying on manager Jose Mourinho to help him become a winner.

After opening the Premier League campaign with a 2-1 win against Leicester, attention turns to the south coast as United travel to Brighton on Sunday.

Pereira will be hoping to retain his place in the side after impressing in midfield last Friday, when he ended an 897-day wait for a United appearance.

The 22-year-old spent time on loan at Granada and Valencia during that period – time away that has clearly benefited a player determined to kick on again and become a serial winner like manager Mourinho.

“We rely on him because he always prepares the team well,” Pereira said of the manager. “He knows what to do.

“He is a winner and he always wants to win, so because he is like that we turn into that and we want to be like him, so we turn into winners as well so it’s very important.”

Mourinho’s track record is certainly impressive, although the pressure will soon mount after a trophyless 2017-18 and background murmurings about the happiness of big-name players.

Should things go awry you can be sure that the Portuguese will return to the subject of summer spending but perhaps Pereira’s return make him like a new signing.

Nobody played more minutes than the midfielder during the pre-season tour of America and his promise has led to a maiden call-up to the Brazil squad for next month’s matches against the USA and El Salvador.


“An honour that I cannot measure, a joy that explodes the heart, a dream that is realised today!” Pereira wrote on social media. “Thank you, God! Brazilian with pride and love!”

Pereira’s future certainly looks bright, but the midfielder knows his United game time will come under threat when Nemanja Matic returns to fitness.

“I will try to do my best,” he told MUTV. “And when Matic is back, of course he is an unbelievable player.

“I looked up to him since I was young, so I will see when he is back.

“But I will always be ready to play and to do my best for the team.”

Matic and captain Antonio Valencia returned to training on Thursday, but Mourinho says neither will be available for Brighton.

The United boss will also be without Marcos Rojo, Diogo Dalot, Ander Herrera and Sergio Romero as the side look to make amends for last season’s loss at Brighton.

“It will be for sure a difficult game but we will try to prepare for it as best as we can,” Pereira added.

“I think if you want to think about the title you have to think about every game and we have to win every game.

“Just in this week, so many people told me ‘last year we lost against Brighton’, so we have to prepare.

“I think we are going to get more prepared than last year because we know we lost last season, so this year we don’t want to lose. We want to win over there.”

Most popular

Jurgen Klopp believes Wilfried Zaha's new deal is like a new signing for Crystal Palace

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Klopp's Liverpool are up against Zaha and Crystal Palace.

Jurgen Klopp believes Wilfried Zaha‘s new deal at Crystal Palace is the equivalent of a “spectacular transfer” for Liverpool‘s next opponents.

The Ivory Coast international ended last season in stunning form and was linked with a big money move for most of the summer, with Chelsea and Tottenham most frequently mentioned.

A deal never materialised and, after kicking off the season with a goal against Fulham, he has now penned an improved five-year deal.

The Eagles strengthened their squad with the likes of Cheikhou Kouyate, Max Meyer and Jordan Ayew but, speaking ahead of Liverpool’s Monday night trip to Selhurst Park, Klopp identified the extension as Palace’s best piece of business.

“There were no spectacular signings but if you want you can see Zaha as a spectacular transfer,” he said.

“I think they are pretty happy that Wilfried signed a new contract. He’s very important and last year was probably the best example of that.”

The Reds are well fancied to return from the capital with another three points after a compelling 4-0 thrasing of West Ham on the opening day of the season but Klopp is also wary of another familiar threat: Christian Benteke.

Klopp inherited the Belgian striker when he arrived at Anfield in 2015 but struggled to find a place for him and allowed him to join Palace after just a year on Merseyside.

Klopp has hailed Zaha as Palace's best transfer window business.

Klopp has heaped praise on Palace star Zaha.

The 27-year-old had a torrid second season, contributing only three goals in a narrow escape from relegation and ultimately losing his place in Belgium’s World Cup squad.

Klopp, who was on the wrong end of a match-winning brace from Benteke 16 months ago, said: “Everybody who thinks about writing Benteke off makes a big mistake, because his obvious skills are always there.

“Even if he didn’t score too often last season, he always has opportunities. It’s a big challenge to defend set-pieces when Christian is around. He will score goals this season, there’s no doubt about that.”

Joe Gomez looks likely to be tasked with stopping Benteke, alongside Virgil van Dijk, in another welcome outing in his preferred centre-back position.

He has been shunted to right-back consistently in his Reds career but with Trent Alexander-Arnold and Nathaniel Clyne set to contest that role, Gomez has the chance to establish himself in the middle.

Joel Matip will prove stiff competition when fully fit but, having not played since March, he is liable to make his return on the bench.

“There was never any doubt about Joe and his ability to play centre-back, but he needed time,” said Klopp.

“He’s a very good football player, plays the position well and he has a very good understanding with Virgil.”

Most popular

Man City boss Pep Guardiola warns Huddersfield will provide tough test

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Guardiola is wary of the threat posed by Huddersfield.

Pep Guardiola has warned his Manchester City players of the dangers of facing Huddersfield so early in the season.

The champions, who opened their title defence with a comfortable win at Arsenal last weekend, host the Terriers at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

City needed a late goal to beat David Wagner’s men away last year and then could only manage a goalless draw against them on the day they were presented with the Premier League trophy in May.

“Last season was tough, those games,” City boss Guardiola said. “They defended so well.

“They are so tough – physicality, defensively strong, good set-pieces, good throw-ins, good counter-attack, good high pressing.

“It was complicated last season and I imagine quite similar games.

“In this part of the season, all the teams, especially those with a lot of players at the World Cup, you need time – one month or a month and a half.

“In this period, these kind of games are so dangerous for the players. Games like this – and Wolves, Cardiff, Fulham – I prefer these teams in October/November.

“In this period the contenders, the big teams, history says always drop points. I remember last season we dropped points against Everton, and Bournemouth we won in the 96th minute.

David Wagner's men ran City close in both matches last year.

David Wagner’s men ran City close in both matches last year.

“Always in this period games are so complicated. I guess it will be on Sunday.”

Midfielder Ilkay Gundogan has a lot of respect for Huddersfield and the work of their manager David Wagner, his fellow German.

Gundogan said: “I know him from Dortmund, he was manager of the second team when I was there. He is a very nice guy and I really like him. He’s a very good manager.

“The first game wasn’t that good for them. I hope for them they are going to stay in the Premier League but obviously I hope it is after Sunday they start (winning).”

City will be without playmaker Kevin De Bruyne, who was ruled out for three months after suffering a knee injury in training this week.

The return to fitness of David Silva after a minor knock is therefore timely but 18-year-old Phil Foden, impressive in the Community Shield earlier this month, could also get more opportunities.

Guardiola said: “It is not easy to replace Kevin but we’ll try to do our best.”

Most popular