Thibaut Courtois says Chelsea fans 'don't know all the truth' about his Real Madrid move

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Courtois' words and actions since joining Madrid have incensed Chelsea fans.

Thibaut Courtois says Chelsea fans “don’t know all the truth” regarding his acrimonious £35million move to Real Madrid this summer.

The Belgian earned the ire of Blues fans after failing to report for pre-season training, which was viewed as an attempt to force through a transfer.

“It makes me feel sad. Obviously they don’t know all the truth,” he told reporters after Belgium’s 4-0 win over Scotland on Friday.

Courtois alluded to the fact that he had decided to reject Chelsea’s contract offer back in March, and thus expected the club to work quickly to secure a transfer that would give them good value for their player.

“I think in March the decision was already made and I thought the club would accept it,” said the 26-year-old.

“Then because the transfer was close I didn’t show up [to training] because I thought it was better not to disturb the squad. I didn’t want it to be toxic.

“Obviously it’s a pity because I love Chelsea. I loved playing there.”

Courtois’ decision to kiss the Real Madrid badge when he was unveiled at his new club also incensed Chelsea fans, as did his comments earlier this week when he praised the “higher level” of Madrid training.

However, he issued a clarification regarding the latter statement, saying it was not intended as a swipe at the Premier League club.

“I never meant that. I just said that maybe in training it goes a little bit faster,” he said.

“But that’s also the quality of Real Madrid, that’s not saying Chelsea doesn’t have quality. I always give back a happy feeling to Chelsea.”

Despite some of the flak he’s copped, Courtois remains content with his decision to leave the Blues, and wishes his old club well.

“I had a chance to go back to Spain to be closer to my kids and that was important to me.

“I know a lot of Chelsea fans will understand my decision and I wish them the best. I am happy they have won the first four games and I hope they go on and win the league.”

Most popular

Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri reveals he found out he was sack by Napoli on TV

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Maurizio Sarri.

Maurizio Sarri has revealed that he found out he was sacked at Napoli on television.

The new Chelsea manager had two years left on his contract after finishing runners-up to Juventus in the Serie A last season.

While Sarri took time to consider his future though, Carlo Ancelotti was appointed as new Napoli coach.

“We were having dinner… discussing whether or not to stay. We turned on the TV and we saw Ancelotti entering Filmauro (the headquarters of Napoli owner Aurelio De Laurentiis),” Sarri told Il Mattino.

“I had some doubts, that’s fair, but there was a clause in the contract and it wasn’t something I had asked for. The timing wasn’t respected.

“Now I hope that Ancelotti can achieve what I came so close to.”

The 59-year-old has one all of his four opening Premier League matches with Chelsea.

Most popular

Liverpool allay Adam Lallana injury fears

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Adam Lallana withdrew from the England squad

Liverpool have announced Adam Lallana will return to fitness later this month following his withdrawal from the England squad.

Scans have confirmed he suffered only a minor groin strain while training with the national team on Tuesday.

The 30-year-old missed the summer’s World Cup following a season disrupted by injury but is expected to be available again before the end of a month that includes Liverpool’s first Champions League fixture of 2018/19, against Paris St Germain.

“I’m pleased I’ll be back available for Liverpool, both domestically and in the Champions League during September, and then England again for the next break,” Lallana told the club’s official website.

“It’s a minor setback, which isn’t ideal, as I’ve been in great shape until now but it’s positive news that it’s only a brief lay-off.

“I know I can make a significant contribution over the course of a long season and that’s where my focus will remain, with so much to play for.

“Doing my best and giving everything for my team-mates, management and supporters of club and country is all that matters.

“I’m back at Melwood making sure my time off the pitch is as short as possible, so I’ll be supporting Gareth and the boys from up here.”

Most popular