Leicester and Swansea interested in Hull's Ahmed Elmohamady

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Ahmed Elmohamady: On the move?

Egypt international Ahmed Elmohamady is considering leaving Hull City in January and has offers from several Premier League clubs, including Swansea and Leicester City.

Elmohamady, 27, has been in England since moving from Egyptian side ENPPI to Sunderland in 2010. He joined Hull City – first on loan and then in a permanent switch – in 2012.

– Serving in Saudi: The Wolverhampton wanderer

– INTERVIEW: Roberto Carlos on the art of free-kicks
– Bayern Munich to provide support for refugees

– Januzaj: Were Man Utd right to offload the Belgian?

After suffering relegation with the Tigers last season, though, Elmohamady is keen to test himself at a higher level and is ready to leave the KC Stadium.  

He has been linked with a move back to Egypt with Cairo giants Al Ahly, but a source close to the player has told Sport360 that he is keen to stay in England and has offers from a number of clubs.

“The player is expected to leave Hull in January," the source told Sport360. "Several offers from mid-table Premier League clubs have been received like Swansea and Leicester, who are interested in Ahmed because of his experience. 

"He prefers to continue his English journey and is open to any other European country, but will not go back to Egypt.”

There is still a chance Elmohamady will stay at the KC Stadium, but it is dependent on whether Hull – currently second in the Championship table – are still in contention for an immediate return to the Premier League in January.

Elmohamady has more Premier League appearances than any other Arab player, having played a combined 137 games in the division. 

Most popular

Danny Welbeck ruled out "for months" after knee surgery

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
It was thought Welbeck would be back in the coming weeks.

Arsenal will be without England forward Danny Welbeck for several months after he underwent surgery on a knee problem.

The 24-year-old, signed from Manchester United on deadline day in September 2014, last played for the Gunners in April, missing both the FA Cup final and end-of-season internationals.

Despite hopes Welbeck would be able to recover from bone bruising around the knee, Arsenal announced in a statement on Thursday the player had needed an operation and was now set for an extended spell of rehabilitation.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger had hoped the forward would be available soon after the international break. However, following an increased training schedule, it was decided surgery would be needed.

A statement from Arsenal read: “Danny Welbeck has undergone surgery on his left knee after being unable to sufficiently step up his rehabilitation work.

“The striker has been working throughout the summer to recover from the injury sustained at the end of April.

“It had been hoped he would avoid surgery, but after increasing his training workload, the injury to his cartilage did not respond as well as hoped and the decision was taken last week for him to undergo surgery by a leading specialist in the field.

“Danny is now expected to be out for a period of months and everyone at Arsenal wishes him well.”

– VIDEO: Watch our interview with Rene Meulensteen
– INTERVIEW: Roberto Carlos on his Indian summer
– Left in limbo: Ten of world football’s free agents
– EPL: League’s transfer spending breaks 1bn barrier

With the decision to operate having come last week, there would have still been time for Arsenal to move in the transfer window to bolster the attacking options.

Arsenal had long been linked with a move for first Karim Benzema at Real Madrid and then Uruguayan forward Edinson Cavani from Paris St Germain.

However, the deadline passed with no further additions to Wenger’s squad apart from veteran goalkeeper Petr Cech, who arrived earlier in the summer from Chelsea.

The Gunners recovered from losing their opening Barclays Premier League match at home to West Ham, winning two of the three games since.

Midfielder Jack Wilshere continues his recovery from a hairline fracture in the left fibula and could be back in contention when domestic action resumes at home to Stoke on September 12.

Most popular

EPL’s annual transfer spending breaks £1 billion barrier

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Most expensive: De Bruyne.

Premier League clubs set a new record during the transfer window, with total spending for the year so far breaking the £1 billion (Dh5.6bn) barrier for the first time.

Transfer spending during the summer window totalled £870m/€1.18bn (Dh4.9bn) – £35m (Dh196m) more than the £835m (Dh4.7bn) spent last summer, according to analysis by the business advisory firm Deloitte.

Just over £130m (Dh730m) was spent in the January transfer window. Manchester City set an individual record, with £160m (Dh900m) splashed out on new talent this summer.

Fuelled by its huge television deals, the Premier League clubs’ spending has easily outstripped the rest of Europe. Alex Thorpe, senior manager in the sports business group at Deloitte, said: “This summer has seen another record level of transfer spending, as Premier League clubs continue to use increases in their revenue to invest in playing talent.

“Gross spending of £870million by clubs across the league has broken the record of £835million set last summer. Total spending in 2015, across both the January and summer windows, is also a new record, reaching the £1billion mark for the first time.

“With all 20 of the Premier League clubs now ranked in the top 40 globally by revenue, we have seen clubs across the league compete successfully in the market for international talent.

– RATE, SHARE and WIN with our ValoraFutbol tool
– #360transfers: Al Ahli complete Moussa Sow signing
– Nepal’s heroic footballers step back onto the pitch

“Premier League clubs’ gross spending on players from overseas clubs this summer totalled more than half a billion pounds. Looking across Europe, Premier League clubs’ gross and net spending this summer is more than double that of any other European league. The driving force behind this is the growth and distribution mechanism of the league’s broadcast rights.”

Earlier this year we reported the remarkable rebalancing of revenues and costs, such that Premier League clubs collectively generated pre-tax profitability for the first time since 1999, with clubs set to enjoy a further revenue boost when the next broadcast deals start in 2016.

Therefore, despite a new record level of player transfer spending this year, collectively Premier League clubs have a chance to invest in playing talent whilst remaining profitable in a way that was previously not the case.”

Of the 12 most costly transfers of the summer window, all but four involved Premier League clubs.

Man City were responsible for three of the top six deals: Kevin De Bruyne from Wolfsburg, Raheem Sterling from Liverpool and Nicolas Otamendi’s from Valencia.

But while the Premier League dwarfed the remaining four biggest leagues in Europe in terms of expenditure, spending was actually up in Serie A (€348m to ¤576m), the Bundesliga (€297m to €410m) and Ligue 1 (€138m to €307m), with only La Liga – mainly due to a relative lack of activity from Real Madrid and Barcelona – down.

However, had David De Gea’s £29m (Dh163m) deal from Manchester United to Madrid gone through then Spain’s top flight would also have witnessed an increase on 2014 figures.

Such is the Premier League’s spending power that France Football’s front cover yesterday was entitled, “Transferts: Le Big Bang” and documented the growth of the English top flight’s dominance in the transfer market. It’s also a trend that’s set to continue, and more than likely at a greater rate with the league’s new television deals kicking in at the end of this season.

Under the agreement with Sky and BT Sport from 2016-2019, Premier League clubs will share £5.14bn (Dh28.9bn) and that’s not including the foreign rights which are up for tender next year, netting a potential further £3bn (Dh16.8bn). 

Most popular