PSG boss Unai Emery says Marco Verratti should learn from Real Madrid red card

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Marco Verratti was sent off during PSG's loss to Real Madrid.

Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Marco Verratti needs to learn from mistakes such as his Champions League red card to live up to his potential as a big player, his club coach Unai Emery said on Tuesday.

Italian international Verratti allowed his emotions to get the better of him as last week’s Champions League tie with Real Madrid was slipping away from the French side, and was sent off for dissent.

“This is not the first time. He needs to improve his temperament,” said Emery.

“He needs to control his feelings, especially in the big matches. He’s a player with a lot of personality and we have spoken to him about it,” added Emery, whose side were reduced to 10 men whilst trying to overturn a deficit against Real Madrid.

“But he’s getting better and he’s a very important player for us both now and for the future.”

“He will continue to develop,” Emery said of the 25-year-old who has played 154 games for PSG and 24 times for Italy.

Verratti took a huge amount of media flack after PSG’s 5-2 aggregate defeat by Real with Italian daily La Gazzetta dello Sport writing “he is incapable of keeping a cool head”, an issue it said would also compromise his international career.

Most popular

Related Sections

Michael Carrick feels Man United are back where they belong in Champions League

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Michael Carrick wants Manchester United to establish themselves as a Champions League force once more as Old Trafford prepares to host a first knockout game in four years.

After the Red Devils secured a nervy 0-0 draw in Spain last month, Sevilla arrive on Tuesday evening for the return leg of an evenly-poised last-16 clash.

United last hosted a Champions League knockout game in 2014 and skipper Carrick says it is high time they competed again for European football’s top trophy.

“For so long, it was kind of a given,” said Carrick, the last remaining member of the victorious 2008 side.

“We didn’t take it for granted, but it was just what we did for so, so many years.

“When you go without that a little bit, it kind of hurts and you miss it.

“You know, fortunately this year we’re back there, back in the knockout stages where it really counts.

“You get that extra spicy feeling, there’s that little bit extra to it and we want to be playing these games. The biggest games at this time of the season.

“Not looking past tomorrow night, but for seasons ahead now I think as a squad we need to develop, we need to be constantly in this position and expect it of ourselves and keep them standards high.”

Carrick knows better than anyone in the squad about the high standards demanded at Old Trafford.

The 36-year-old is the longest-serving player at the club, having joined from Tottenham in 2006 and gone on to win the Champions League and five Premier League titles, among many other trophies.

Carrick will be hoping to add to his medal-laden CV before the end of the season – a campaign the veteran confirmed will be his last as a player before taking up manager Jose Mourinho’s offer to join the coaching staff.

“There comes a time when as much as you like it or don’t like it, your body tells you it’s time to stop playing football,” Carrick said.

“So that’s pretty much where I’m at, which is fine. It’s something you’ve got to accept so that’s where I am at.

“It’s kind of been sorted out (for a coaching role). We’re still talking about it, to be honest, so there’s nothing to totally confirm as yet.
“But, yeah, it’s looking likely.”

Carrick is unlikely to be in the starting line-up on Tuesday, while there are also big questions over Paul Pogba’s availability.

The 24-year-old midfielder – who surprisingly started the goalless first leg on the bench in Spain – was injured on the eve of the Liverpool clash and was conspicuous by his absence from the section of training open to the media on Monday.

United boss Mourinho offered no insight into Pogba’s injury, just that the club-record signing could be involved against Sevilla.

“(Pogba) did (train) after you left,” Mourinho said.

“I don’t know (if he can play), we don’t know yet, but he trained a little bit after you left.”

Mourinho confirmed that Anthony Martial is back in contention after an injury of his own, and that Daley Blind, Ander Herrera, Marcos Rojo and Phil Jones remain absent.

Most popular

Related Sections

Greek football league suspended after gun controversy

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Greece’s top-flight football championship was suspended indefinitely Monday, a minister said, hours after the owner of the PAOK team invaded the pitch with a gun strapped to his belt.

Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras said he was “determined” to enforce order in the country’s oft-chaotic leading sport, which has repeatedly been marred by violence on and off the pitch.

“We must all decide to ignore the political cost…It’s a question of will. Personally, I am determined to go ahead,” Tsipras said ahead of a meeting with a rival party leader.

His deputy minister for sport, Yiorgos Vassiliadis, had earlier told reporters after an emergency meeting with Tsipras that the Superleague championship would “not start again without a new framework agreed by all.”

Vassiliadis said the government was in close contact with European football body UEFA, which he said had been “shocked” by the incident.

Police have issued a warrant for the arrest of PAOK owner, Greek-Russian businessman Ivan Savvidis, after he stormed the pitch on Sunday, accompanied by bodyguards, to confront the referee in protest at a 90th-minute disallowed goal in a top-of-the-table clash against AEK Athens.

PAOK sports director Lubos Michel, a Slovak former FIFA referee, is also believed to have threatened referee Yiorgos Kominis.
The match was interrupted as AEK’s squad walked off the pitch. The goal was later allowed.

Vassiliadis said the government had “fought to clean up” Greek football for three years “and would not allow all this effort to be threatened”.

“We await proposals from the federation and the league,” he said. “A tougher framework is needed.”

Most popular

Related Sections