The CONMEBOL confirmed on Friday that for the first time since 1991, Mexico will not be taking part in the Copa America.
The Copa America 2019 is set to take place in Brazil and the local organising committee is finalising the cities and stadiums which will host the matches. The tournament will feature 12 teams.
While the competition is South America’s championship, it does feature two invited guests, one of which has been Mexico for the last nine years.
The relationship between the Mexico federation and its counterpart in South America has suffered in the last few years though. Mexico also pulled out of the Copa Llibertadores stating that it had difficulties in fitting the tournament in to the Mexican calendar.
Meanwhile, it has tried to initiate a partnership with Major League Soccer, for a game between the champions of both the leagues and an idea of a tournament in the future.
— CONMEBOL.com (@CONMEBOL) May 4, 2018
Stating in a pres release, CONMEBOL president Alejandro Dominguez said – “The 2019 Copa America Brazil will be a passionate competition in which anyone can win the title.”
“In addition to having the participation of the national teams from our 10 member associations, we’re once again welcoming the Japan national team, whose association we have a close link of friendship and good relationship with.
“And, for the first time, we’ll have the participation of the Qatar national team, which will be the host of the 2022 FIFA World Cup.”
The two invited guests who have already accepted invitations include – Japan and Qatar.
Carlo Ancelotti has turned down the offer to take over as Italy coach, according to press reports on Sunday.
Italy have been without a permanent coach since Gian Piero Ventura was sacked after the four-time champions failed to qualify for the World Cup for the first time in 60 years after losing to Sweden in a two-legged playoff in November.
Ancelotti, who was sacked by Bayern Munich last September, had met with Italian Football Federation (FIGC) officials in Rome last week.
But Corriere dello Sport reported that despite the 58-year-old being offered the job he had decided to turn it down after taking a few days to consider his decision.
Ancelotti has also been linked with taking over as Arsenal manager when Arsene Wenger steps down at the end of the season.
The Italian coach, who has also managed Chelsea, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Juventus, Roma and Paris Saint-Germain, has three Champions League titles to his name as a coach. He has also won the league in Italy, France, Germany and England.
FIGC sub-commissioner Alessandro Costacurta — who was coached by Ancelotti at AC Milan in the 1980s — has been appointed to find a successor to Ventura, and has said said the deadline for the appointment remained May 20.
Among the other names being touted are Zenit St Petersburg coach Roberto Mancini, Chelsea boss Antonio Conte and former Leicester coach Claudio Ranieri, now in charge of French club Nantes.
Italy’s under-21 coach Luigi Di Biagio has been filling the position on an interim basis.
Carlo Ancelotti is set to be given the job of reviving the fortunes of Italy’s national team, according to reports on Tuesday.
Ancelotti, who was sacked by Bayern Munich last September, met with Italian Football Federation (FIGC) commissioner Roberto Fabbricini and sub-commissioner Alessandro Costacurta in a Rome hotel on Monday, Corriere dello Sport reported.
And Sky Sport Italia said the 58-year-old has been offered a two-year position, which is likely to be less lucrative than his previous contract with the German champions.
Italy have been without a permanent coach since Gian Piero Ventura was sacked after they failed to qualify for the World Cup for the first time in 60 years following defeat by Sweden in a two-legged playoff in November.
Ancelotti, who has also managed Chelsea, Real Madrid and Juventus, has three Champions League titles to his name as a coach. He has also won the league in Italy, France, Germany and England.
The FIGC budget for a new coach and his staff is five million euros ($6.1 million) per year, which would be a big drop from what Ancelotti earned at Bayern Munich.
Costacurta is reported to have offered Ancelotti, who has also been linked with former club Chelsea and the soon-to-be-vacant job at Arsenal, a free hand in choosing his staff.
Ancelotti’s son Davide, who was his assistant at Bayern, could play a role as well as former stars such as Andrea Pirlo, Gianluigi Buffon and Paolo Maldini.
Costacurta, who was appointed to find a successor to Ventura, set a dateline of May 20 for the appointment of a new coach.
Among the other names touted were Zenit St Petersburg coach Roberto Mancini, Chelsea boss Antonio Conte and former Leicester coach Claudio Ranieri, now in charge of French club Nantes.
Italy Under-21 coach Di Biagio, 46, has been holding the position on an interim basis.