Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris has been ruled out of France’s clash with Germany through injury.
Lloris missed his side’s 2-1 defeat at Watford on Sunday with a thigh problem and will also be unavailable for France’s Nations League opener on Thursday.
France boss Didier Deschamps called up Montpellier goalkeeper Benjamin Lecomte to replace Lloris after the 31-year-old was examined by Dr Franck Le Gall at France’s National Football Centre at Clairefontaine on Monday morning.
Lloris apologised “wholeheartedly” last month after being charged with drink driving.
The World Cup winner was charged following a routine patrol stop in the early hours of Friday, August 24 and was bailed to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on September 11.
Lloris said in a statement: “I wish to apologise wholeheartedly to my family, the club, my team-mates, the manager and all of the supporters.
“Drink driving is completely unacceptable, I take full responsibility for my actions and it is not the example I wish to set.”
Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa has withdrawn from the Spain squad for the Nations League matches against England and Croatia, with Celta Vigo’s Iago Aspas coming in as a replacement.
In a statement released on Monday, the Spanish Football Federation said Costa was “on leave for personal reasons”.
Costa and Aspas, who were both part of Spain’s World Cup squad over the summer, played against each other on Saturday as Atletico lost 2-0 at Celta.
Costa played the full duration of the LaLiga contest, in which Aspas netted the second goal.
Aspas scored in Spain’s last meeting with England, a 2-2 draw at Wembley in November 2016.
The teams face each other at the same venue on Saturday in what will be La Roja’s first match under new boss Luis Enrique.
Spain then take on Croatia three days later at Elche’s Estadio Martinez Valero.
Tottenham forward Son Heung-min can expect to win exemption from full military service for South Korea after his countrymen triumphed 2-1 in the football final of the Asian Games.
South Korean law requires all able-bodied men to complete almost two years of service in the nation’s army, navy or air force and Son, 26, and his team-mates knew their only chance of avoiding duty under the current conscription regulations was to win gold in West Java, Indonesia.
The quest for glory – and in Son’s case the freedom to fulfil his five-year contract at Spurs – was arduous as Japan’s under-23 side, who had kept four clean sheets on their way to the final, held firm for 90 minutes, even scaring South Korea with solid efforts from Kota Watanabe and Yuto Iwasaki.
But South Korea were the dominant side, with tournament top-scorer Hwang Ui-jo spurning several golden chances as Son regularly tormented Japan down the left.
The dam finally broke a few minutes into extra-time as substitute Lee Seung-woo of Hellas Verona collected a pass from Son and rocketed the ball into the top corner. It was 2-0 when Son won a free-kick before floating it over to Hwang Hee-chan, who headed home.
Perhaps guilty of switching off given the comfortable margin, South Korea conceded to Ayase Ueda at the death.