Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp delighted after Pep Lijnders' return to coaching staff

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has welcomed the return of coach Pep Lijnders after his unsuccessful spell as manager in his own right.

The Dutchman left in January to take charge of second-tier side NEC Nijmegen in his homeland but parted company with the club in May after failing in the Eredivisie promotion play-off.

He was immediately offered his Reds job back and was present for the start of pre-season training this week with Lijnders’ return bolstering a backroom team which is still without Klopp’s assistant Zeljko Buvac, who has been absent for what the club say are personal reasons since April.

“It’s good. It’s very, very good. We sent him away for half a year to get very important experience and to have him back now feels just fantastic,” Klopp told liverpoolfc.com.

“When he came in the building, everybody was really delighted about that and was really happy about it.

“He’s a fantastic person and a fantastic coach, so it’s really important that we have him back and I’m really looking forward to working together with him.”

Liverpool’s run to the Champions League final has now been consigned to history but Klopp is keen to build on the progress which was made last season.

He has already started that with combined £96million addition of Naby Keita and Fabinho, with both midfielders in from the start of pre-season – something the Reds boss always puts great store by for new signings.

“We are always ambitious, we are still ambitious,” added Klopp.

“We did a few nice things in the last couple of years, but we know as well that we can still improve so we want to build on the things we’ve achieved so far.

“We know all the good things, we know all the not so good things. Life is always (about) learning from your experiences, I hope we can show that.”

Another player happy to be back in training in early July is left-back Andrew Robertson.

The Scotland international joined from Hull on July 21 last summer so missed three crucial weeks, including four friendlies, two as part of the club’s mini-tour to the Far East.

That impacted on him securing a regular first-team place, which did not happen until Alberto Moreno’s injury in December.

“I came in a bit late and missed the trip to Hong Kong, which I was a bit gutted about,” he said.

“I think I did the first three weeks with Hull so it was a lot different – it’s always good to get a full pre-season with the team you’re going to be with.

“I knew I was leaving Hull last season so it was a tough one but this season I’m settled and I can really focus on pre-season.

“Over the close season I’ve been working on getting fit and now I want to get fitter until August and it’s all leading up to that West Ham game now.”

Most popular

Related Sections

Mohamed Salah signs new long-term Liverpool deal

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Liverpool have tied Mohamed Salah down to a new long-term contract after a record-breaking debut campaign for the club.

The Egyptian moved to Merseyside from Roma last June and went on to win the Premier League Golden Boot, scoring 32 times and in turn setting a new benchmark in a single 38-game season.

Salah also came to the fore during Liverpool’s run to the Champions League final and Liverpool have ended any speculation about his future – although they have not disclosed the length of the deal.

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp said on the club’s official website: “I think this news can be seen for what it is; rewarding a person who performed and contributed greatly for the team and the club last season.

“It demonstrates two things very clearly also – his belief in Liverpool and our belief in him.

“We want world-class talent to see they have a home at Anfield where they can fulfil all their professional dreams and ambitions – we are working hard together to achieve this.”

Most popular

Simon Mignolet to make decision over Liverpool future after the World Cup

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Out-of-favour: Simon Mignolet.

Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet has hinted at uncertainty over his future at the club, indicating he will assess his position after the World Cup.

The 30-year-old was an unused substitute during Belgium’s 1-0 win over England in Kaliningrad on Thursday and expects to remain as deputy to Thibaut Courtois for the remainder of the tournament.

But he is unlikely to accept a long-term under-study role at Anfield, where the number-one jersey appears up for grabs.

Mignolet, who is contracted through to 2021, has not played since January but his replacement Loris Karius dropped two potentially career-defining clangers in the Champions League final.

Liverpool have been linked with a host of replacements, from Brazil number one Alisson to England pair Jack Butland and Nick Pope, but a firm move has yet to materialise.

“I am going to look at my situation when I come back from the World Cup,” said Mignolet.

“I didn’t play in the last few months at Liverpool, so after the World Cup I will look at everything. I can’t say much more. I don’t know how long I will have off after the tournament. I need to speak to the manager about that.”

While Mignolet has been focusing on his international commitments he revealed the Reds’ goalkeeping coach had been touching base on behalf of the Anfield club.

“John Achterberg sends me a text before every game, to see how I am and if I am fit, so I keep in touch with him,” he said.

“(But) at this moment I have not been speaking to anyone at Liverpool because I have been trying to focus on Belgium.”

Most popular