The 22-year-old arrived at Manchester United’s Aon Training Complex on Wednesday morning after the two clubs agreed a fee which Press Association Sport understands to be 35million euros (£30.75million).
United boss Jose Mourinho told the club’s official website: “Victor is a very talented young player, who has a great future ahead of him at United.
“Our season last year showed us that we need options and quality to add depth to the squad and Victor is the first to join us this summer.
“I know that our fantastic group of players will welcome him as one of us.”
Lindelof had arrived in Manchester fresh from international duty with Sweden, where he was an unused substitute in Tuesday night’s 1-1 draw with Norway.
Lindelof has been a long-time target for United as they look to bolster their defensive options ahead of next season’s return to the Champions League.
He told United’s official website: “I am thrilled to be joining Manchester United.
“I have enjoyed my time at Benfica enormously and I have learned a lot there. But I’m looking forward to playing in the Premier League at Old Trafford and for Jose Mourinho.
“I’m keen to get started and make my contribution to the team’s efforts to win more trophies.”
Lindelof could be one of three or four high-profile acquisitions at Old Trafford this summer, with the club also understood to be keen on Alvaro Morata.
The Real Madrid forward’s agent said earlier this week that United had lodged a “very important offer” with the Spanish giants to try to bring him to the north west of England.
Roma have warned Liverpool they are not “a supermarket” and there will be no bargain buy for winger Mohamed Salah.
The Reds have been in talks with the Serie A side for several weeks over the Egypt international after having an opening bid of £28million rejected.
Roma’s valuation of the 24-year-old is far in excess of Liverpool’s and it is understood the price being quoted to the Merseysiders is more than the £35million being reported in Italy.
Sporting director Monchi, confirming the interest in Salah, said they would not be forced into selling below their valuation of the player but did not rule out Salah leaving.
“For Salah there is an offer from an English club but the price will be set by Roma, not the buyers,” he told a press conference for the presentation of new coach Eusebio Di Francesco.
“As I’ve said before, Roma is not a supermarket. Roma is a team that will represent Italy in Europe. We came second in Serie A and our idea is to keep as good a team as possible. At the same time no club exists that does not sell players.”
With the transfer window set to open next month, the frenetic nature of speculation has already begun.
Rumours are starting to gather pace and we take a look at the latest stories doing the rounds in the media.
Do you think any of the following deals will happen?
Barcelona remain locked in battle with Manchester United, Manchester City and Bayern Munich to sign the Benfica star, according to reports in Spain.
The Catalan giants have wasted no time in drawing up their plans for next season and new boss Ernesto Valverde sees the 23-year-old right-back as a must-have purchase.
Semedo, who flourished for the Portuguese giants last term, is thought to be keen on a switch to La Liga according to Marca – and the club that gets closest to his €50 million valuation will secure his signature.
Barca, who are believed to have contacted the defender’s representatives, are desperate to strengthen their backline – particularly on the right-hand side – which was occupied by Sergi Roberto for large parts of last season.
SPORT360 VERDICT: The Portugal international favours a move to the Nou Camp and a switch will very much boil down to whether Blaugrana can come up with an attractive financial package for Benfica to cash in. If they don’t, expect there to be a number of clubs waiting in the wings to sign him.
The highly sought-after AC Milan shot stopper is no closer to a move to Manchester United this summer, according to reports in Italy.
The Red Devils have been monitoring the 18-year-old’s situation at the San Siro side, with rumours aplenty speculating he will not sign a new contract and leave the club.
However, according to Tuttosport, Milan – with new investment behind them – want to keep the homegrown talent at the club.
Rossoneri general manager Marco Fassone is thought to be working hard behind the scenes to tie up a new deal for Donnarumma, but until then, Jose Mourinho’s men will be waiting in the wings…especially if Real Madrid sign David de Gea.
SPORT360 VERDICT: The teenager has already proved he is more than just a prospect and would be a good signing for any top side – but it’s likely he’ll stay at Milan for another season, at the very least.
The Monaco superstar has added to the rumour merry-go-round regarding his future by saying potential suitors Real Madrid have been trying to sign him since he was 14-years-old.
Speaking to the media following France’s victory over England on Tuesday night, the 18-year-old striker was pressed on his future and again wasn’t shy in hiding his admiration for Los Blancos.
“They have been trying to recruit me since I was 14,” Mbappe told Canal + following yet more speculation Real will land the hitman this summer.
SPORT360 VERDICT: It is no secret that Real Madrid are desperate to sign Mbappe, with all parties involved seemingly convinced a mega-move could take place in the coming weeks. Expect much more activity on this story.