Real Madrid secure Keylor Navas on six-year deal

Andy West 4/08/2014
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Key to success: Keylor Navas was outstanding for Costa Rica at the World Cup.

Real Madrid on Sunday night confirmed the signing of Costa Rican international goalkeeper Keylor Navas.

Los Blancos announced the 27-year-old’s arrival on a six-year deal after agreeing to meet his €10 million (Dh49.3m) buy-out clause at Levante and he will be presented at the Bernabeu tomorrow.

Navas saw his reputation rocket after a hugely successful World Cup campaign with Costa Rica, which saw him play a fundamental role in the South American team’s unex­pected surge to the quarter finals.

He conceded just one goal as Costa Rica topped their so-called ‘group of death’ which also featured Uruguay, Italy and England.

Navas was then triumphant in a last 16 penalty shoot-out victory over Greece, but he saved his best for last with a stunning perform­ance to force another set of spot-kicks against the Netherlands in the quarter-finals.

Navas was a key figure in the Valencia-based club’s solid 10th-place finish last season, conceding just 43 goals in 38 games – a defensive record bettered only by the top four in Spain.

It was his first season as Levante’s first-choice No1, spend­ing the previous two seasons largely as an understudy following a move from Albacete in the summer of 2011, having earlier started his career with Deportivo Saprissa in his homeland.

Meanwhile, La Liga side Villar­real are resigned to losing centre-back Mateo Mussachio – the club’s player of the year last season – with the Argentine set to move to Pre­mier League club Tottenham.

Villarreal coach Marcelinho said: “If the club sell an important player it’s because the right conditions to do so have been met.

“Mateo is a very important pla-yer. He’s an excellent player and will be a difficult loss to cover, espe­cially as he plays in a tough position to reinforce.”


Most popular

Related Tags

Related Sections

Record signing misses Premier League pre-season due to visa problems

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Issues to resolve: Brown Ideye is desperate to join his West Brom team-mates.

Nigeria striker Brown Ideye revealed on Sunday that delays over his visa and work permit have prevented him from linking up with new club West Bromwich Albion.

Ideye, 25, joined the Premier League side from Ukrainians Dynamo Kiev last month for an undisclosed club-record fee, signing a three-year contract with an option for a further year.

However, he has yet to travel to the United Kingdom, meaning he missed a pre-season friendly against Nottingham Forest last week and is also due to miss a fixture with Port Vale on Tuesday.

"Officials at the British High Commission (in Nigeria) are still working on it," Ideye told the BBC Sport website.

"The club has fulfilled all the necessary requirements, but I have been told that the British High Commission require up to 15 days to sort this, which is preventing my ability to travel.

"The public holiday in Nigeria last week (Eid) slowed things down a little bit on this side.

"I hope to get it sorted in the next couple of days because I can't wait to join my new team-mates in England."

The striker admitted that he was likely to miss West Brom's opening Premier League game at home to Sunderland on August 16.

"I need to join the team first then train with the squad in front of the manager (Alan Irvine) and so far I have not been able to do that," he said.

Ideye scored 34 goals in three seasons with Ukrainian giants Dynamo, having previously played for Sochaux and Neuchatel Xamax after starting his career in his homeland with Ocean Boys.

He has won 24 caps for Nigeria, scoring five times, but was left out of the squad that reached the last 16 at the World Cup.

Most popular

Related Tags

Related Sections

Pellegrini: Lampard is ‘important’ loan signing

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Blue is the colour: Frank Lampard could line up for Manchester City against Chelsea.

Manchester City's manager Manuel Pellegrini has confirmed that Frank Lampard will join the English Premier League champions on loan from New York City FC until January.

"From next week, Wednesday, he will start working with our team and he will be with us until January," Pellegrini told a press conference on Saturday.

"He is working with the squad. He will fight for his position."

The 36-year-old only signed for New York City last month on a two-year contract after his release from Chelsea.

Major League Soccer franchise New York City are owned jointly by Manchester City and baseball giants the New York Yankees, but their season does not start until March 2015.

Lampard knows he will face competition for the central midfield role but he could be needed when the Champions League campaign begins.

"He knows we have a very good team, we have a lot of players in his position. He is one player more," Pellegrini said following his side's 5-4 defeat on penalties by Olympiakos in their latest friendly.

"We have a lot of games particularly with the Champions League – so he's very important for our team."

The move will raise eyebrows up and down the Premier League, no more so than at Stamford Bridge where Lampard earned legendary status after 13 trophy-filled years in West London.

The two clubs meet in the Pre­mier League on September 21.

Most popular

Related Tags