Liverpool target Virgil van Dijk to be reintegrated back into Southampton first-team squad

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Virgil Van Dijk

Liverpool are still closely following Southampton star Virgil van Dijk – the man who remains a top summer target for the Merseysiders.

According to the Daily Telegraph, the Dutch star – who was left back at the club’s Staplewood training ground by manager Mauricio Pellegrino after he was deemed to not be in the right frame of mind to travel to France for their pre-season camp, has now been told he has to stay at St Mary’s Stadium next term.

The Saints want to keep the 26-year-old centre-back and are apparently ready to bring him back into the first-team frame, but Van Dijk is still hopeful of forcing a move away from the Premier League side.

Despite having a contract until 2022, Van Dijk told the South Coast club earlier this month he wanted to leave and Liverpool – who were forced to apologise to Saints after alleged tapping-up of the defender – are still confident they can land him.

Although Southampton are insistent no major sales will be made this summer, Manchester City are also waiting in the wings for the former Celtic man.

Saints hierarchy are set to meet with the defender upon returning from France in the coming days.

Most popular

Related Sections

'At least 10 teams', including Chelsea, are chasing Renato Sanches says Bayern Munich chairman

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Bayern Munich have reportedly claimed Chelsea manager Antonio Conte made an enquiry about their midfielder Renato Sanches.

The German giants’ chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge says Conte expressed interest in Sanches after the clubs’ friendly in Singapore on Tuesday.

Sanches moved to Bayern from Benfica only 12 months ago but the 19-year-old has struggled for a regular starting spot under manager Carlo Ancelotti.

He made just 17 appearances in the Bundesliga last season and Rummenigge says Chelsea are one of a number of teams keen on the Portugese teenager.

Italian giants AC Milan have also been linked with Sanches.

“There are at least 10 teams after Sanches,” Rummenigge told Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“Conte asked for some information about him after Tuesday’s match because he knows he can make the difference in the middle of the pitch.

“The lad wants to play regularly but Ancelotti was pleased with his performance against Chelsea .

“We’ll make our evaluations later but if he does leave then he almost certainly will go on loan. We’re still counting on him.”

Most popular

Related Sections

Neymar clashes with Nelson Semedo in Barcelona training amid PSG rumours

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Neymar has been pictured storming out of Barcelona training following an angry confrontation with new team-mate Nelson Semedo as speculation over the Brazilian’s future continues to intensify.

The 25-year-old, linked with a big-money transfer to Paris Saint-Germain, appeared to be involved in a heated argument with Semedo during a training session in Miami ahead of Saturday’s pre-season friendly against Real Madrid.

Neymar reportedly took exception to a challenge from Semedo, who recently signed from Benfica, and squared up to the right-back until Javier Mascherano quickly intervened.

But while Semedo walked away, Neymar was forced to be restrained by Sergio Busquets and then threw his bib on the floor before kicking a ball at a vacant goal in anger and leaving the pitch.

Barcelona published a story on their website about the session but there was no mention of Neymar, who was pictured in good spirits in the featured image.

Neymar has scored three goals in two friendlies during Barca’s pre-season tour of the US, including the winner against Manchester United, but has constantly been linked with a move away from the Nou Camp.

Ligue 1 giants PSG are reportedly willing to activate Neymar’s €222 million euro buyout clause in a deal which would see him become the most expensive player in the world.

Most popular

Related Tags