Liverpool playmaker Philippe Coutinho has submitted a transfer request.
Barcelona had a bid of around £90million for the Brazil international rejected by the Reds on Wednesday.
And it is understood Coutinho has now declared to Liverpool his desire to leave – news that emerged on Friday only hours after the club’s owners had issued a statement stressing their stance that the 25-year-old would not be sold during the current transfer window.
He joins a host of big names to have been seeking a move away from their clubs and here’s a selection of the top five.
The Liverpool playmaker submitted a transfer request on Friday amid interest from Barcelona.
The Blaugrana had a £90 million bid for the Brazilian international rejected by the Reds earlier in the week.
Coutinho stressed his desire to leave Anfield, just hours after the club issued a statement insisting that the 25-year-old would not be sold during the transfer window.
The playmaker only signed a new five-year deal in January which made him the club’s biggest earner on £150,000 per week, and with no release clause, the club are in a strong position if they are to negotiate with the Spanish giants.
The Brazilian handed in a transfer request after Barcelona’s pre-season tour of the United States earlier this month.
Neymar subsequently signed for PSG after they met his €222 million release clause – a fee which was more than double the previous world-record transfer fee.
The French Football Federation received the necessary documents to register Neymar on Friday after the Catalans confirmed the cheque for his buyout clause had cleared.
He is in line to make his debut for the French giants on Sunday at Guingamp.
Southampton’s wantaway defender Virgil Van Dijk handed in a transfer request in May as he continues to look for a way out of St. Mary’s.
The Dutch international, who has been linked with Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester City this summer, said he was “insulted” with claims he had refused to train during pre-season.
Liverpool pushed heavily for a deal at the start of the transfer window but were forced to issue an apology after being accused by the Saints of making an illegal approach for their star defender.
The Reds were willing to pay £60m for the 26-year-old – but it remains to be seen if the deal is forced through given he only signed a new five-year deal last summer.
The Leicester City attacker handed in a transfer request in May, claiming that “now is the time to move on to a new experience”.
Mahrez, 26, expressed his desire to leave the King Power Stadium, and with Inter and Roma chasing his signature, a move to the Serie A is a strong option for the Algerian.
Mahrez was the PFA Player of the Year during the Foxes’ title triumph, scoring 17 goals and providing 11 assists across the campaign.
The 2015-16 Premier League champions are looking for £50million for their star man, with many of the interested suitors unprepared to meet the club’s demands.
The boyhood blue expressed his desire to leave Everton after refusing to sign a new contract at the end of last season.
Since then, Barkley has been linked to Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea – but no concrete bids have been made.
The England international has been sidelined with a groin injury throughout pre-season and been told he has no future at Goodison Park.
If a Premier League side snaps up the 23-year-old for £25million, it will be the bargain buy of the summer as he was previously valued at close to £50m.
Danny Rose has issued an apology to Tottenham for a newspaper interview that he gave, wherein he criticised the club’s transfer policy and also made comments on his future.
The 27-year old defender told the The Sun that he was undervalued at Tottenham in the interview, before releasing a statement on Friday morning apologising for his actions.
“Having had time to consider my actions I acknowledge now that the timing and manner of what I said was ill-judged,” the 27-year-old said.
“My words were not meant to offend and for that I would like to apologise to the chairman, manager, my team mates and the fans.
“I’d also like to wish the lads good luck ahead of Sunday’s game against Newcastle,” wrote Rose who has been a transfer target for Premier League clubs Chelsea and Manchester United this summer.
Philippe Coutinho has asked to leave Liverpool by submitting a transfer request, according to reports in the English media.
While it is claimed the Merseysiders have rejected the Brazilian’s proposal, the news comes only a matter of hours after the club released an official statement saying the 25-year-old would not be leaving the club this summer.
It has fuelled speculation Barcelona will rev up their attempts to land the playmaker.
More to follow…