Liverpool playmaker Philippe Coutinho has submitted a transfer request, Press Association Sport understands.
Barcelona had a bid of around £90million for the Brazil international rejected by the Reds on Wednesday.
And it is understood Coutinho has now declared to Liverpool his desire to leave – news that emerged on Friday only hours after the club’s owners had issued a statement stressing their stance that the 25-year-old would not be sold during the current transfer window.
Coutinho is understood to have submitted the transfer request personally via email.
Barca, who sold Neymar to Paris St Germain last week for a world-record £200.6m, made their offer on Wednesday having already had a £72m bid for Coutinho turned down in July.
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has gone on record a number of times emphasising the player is not for sale, and the club’s owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG) backed that up on Friday morning by saying in a statement: ”’The club’s definitive stance is that no offers for Philippe will be considered and he will remain a member of Liverpool Football Club when the summer (transfer) window closes.”
That message appeared on Liverpool’s official website just prior to Klopp speaking at a press conference, during which he said of FSG’s statement: ”I think if somebody, in this case FSG, is saying something like this, that is the statement.
”I have said what the club’s decision is about this and now you can read it – that is maybe the only difference. And that is the way it will go.”
Soon after the press conference, reports emerged that Coutinho had handed in a transfer request, and although initially Liverpool insisted that was not the case, it is understood they have now received one from the player.