While there are rumours Barcelona will return with a fourth bid of around €150m to prise Philippe Coutinho away from Liverpool, Blaugrana have another go-to option.
And that man is Angel Di Maria.
Despite a fractured relationship between Barca and Paris Saint-Germain following the world-record transfer of Neymar, the Spanish giants have weighed-up a deal for the Argentine.
According to Sport, Barca hierarchy have become increasingly frustrated in their pursuit of Coutinho and Borussia Dortmund’s Ousmane Dembele – despite having big transfer funds at their disposal.
With neither of those sagas seemingly close to a conclusion, the club are under pressure to satisfy a frustrated fan base with a big-name signing.
“Barca are not going to sit twiddling their thumbs if they don’t sign their two main objectives for this summer,” a Barca source is reported as saying by the Spanish news outlet.
The recent purchase of Paulinho has not filled the void left by Neymar and sporting director Robert Fernandez is ready to switch his attention to Di Maria.
The 29-year-old, who signed for the Parc des Princes side in 2015 following a disappointing season with Manchester United, has two years left on his current deal in the French capital and a bid in the region of €50m could land the winger.
PSG are looking to recoup some of the €222m they spent on Neymar, helping the Parisian club stay in line with Financial Fair Play regulations.
Di Maria’s past Real Madrid connection may be a sticking point in any transfer but Barca are desperate for extra firepower in forward areas.
The talented winger certainly fits that criteria.
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has targeted Marcelo Brozovic as his final summer signing.
Inter Milan are willing to offload the Croatian, who is now deemed surplus to requirements at the San Siro – but the Gunners share an alternative view on the player.
Indeed, Wenger publicly revealed he was only willing to sign three players in the transfer window – and with Alexandre Lacazette and Sead Kolasinac the only incoming business he has done thus far – that means there is room for one more purchase.
Brozovic, who moved to the Serie A giants from Dinamo Zagreb back in January 2015, has struggled to nail down regular first-team football in Italy but is contracted to the club until 2021.
Arsenal are looking to make midfield reinforcements given Santi Cazorla’s injury hell and the need for important back-up in central areas, supporting the likes of Granit Xhaka, Aaron Ramsey and Mohamed Elneny.
According to Marca, the north London club’s pursuit of Brozovic is set to come alive in the coming days as Gunners hierarchy meet the player’s representatives.
Wenger is attracted to the Croatia international’s immediate availability and a potential cut-price fee, somewhere in the region of £25m.
Borussia Dortmund will sell wantaway winger Ousmane Dembele to Barcelona if their price is met, the German club said Saturday.
“We have a clear position and a clear idea (of the price). If this idea is met, then he will transfer this summer,” Dortmund director of sport Michael Zorc told Sky before their match at Wolfsburg on the first weekend of the new Bundesliga season.
“Otherwise he will stay with us – it’s as simple as that.”
The 20-year-old Dembele attempted to force Dortmund into selling him to the Spanish giants by boycotting training last week, which led to him being indefinitely suspended, after Borussia rejected an initial bid.
Barcelona are eager to sign Dembele and Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho to replace Neymar, who left for Paris Saint-Germain.
Frenchman Dembele has a contract until 2021 with the German club.
Reports claim Dortmund want 130 million euros ($152m) for the player they paid Rennes 15m euros for last year, after rejecting an initial offer of 80 million, plus a 40m bonus.
Should Barcelona fail to meet the asking price, Dembele will have some bridges to build at Dortmund.
“Of course there is a way back and that will be on September 1 when a transfer is no longer possible,” said Zorc.
“The decision will not be met on transfer deadline day, it will be before that.
“The situation is very challenging, we haven’t said it was easy.”
Zorc confirmed reports Dembele has left Dortmund.
“We know where he is, he’s in France. We had contact with his staff and his advisors,” he added.