Former England manager ROY HODGSON is the frontrunner to replace FRANK DE BOER at Crystal Palace just weeks into his first season at the club, the Daily Mirror reports.
In addition, Hodgson’s national team successor SAM ALLARDYCE, who preceded De Boer at Selhurst Park, has been courted for a return to the club just four months after his departure but remains reluctant.
Also facing an uncertain future is beleaguered West Ham boss SLAVEN BILIC, according to the Daily Express.
The Hammers want Napoli boss MAURIZIO SARRI to replace their player-turned-manager after crashing to the bottom of the table with three losses from three games to open the season.
Across London, DIEGO COSTA has moved his family to Madrid as he continues to angle for a return to Atletico, The Sun reports.
The want-away Spain striker has failed to turn up to training sessions – despite being named in Chelsea’s Premier League squad.
The Sun reports that Manchester United are plotting to hijack Arsenal’s £92million move for THOMAS LEMAR in January.
The Gunners failed to woo the Monaco winger, 21, over the summer and Jose Mourinho is poised to make an offer after missing out on Inter Milan star Ivan Perisic.
Not content with signing one star Frenchman, the Daily Star reports Mourinho is eyeing up Atletico frontman ANTOINE GRIEZMANN for United’s iconic – and vacant – number seven shirt.
With £100m set aside for the deal, the United boss will be looking for another key player to don the jersey worn by George Best, David Beckham and Cristiano Ronaldo among others.
@DExpress_Sport: Ryan Giggs lauds Renato Sanches: I wanted him at Man Utd three years ago
@TheSunFootball: EXCLUSIVE: Pep Guardiola wants to sign another John Stones
PLAYERS TO WATCH
JOE RODON: Swansea’s rising star, 19, is in Manchester City’s crosshairs, according to The Sun. Captain of the Welsh club’s Under-23 side in Premier League 2, the defender is expected to break through sooner rather than later.
SEBASTIAN CACERES: Chelsea, Liverpool and Barcelona are vying for the 18-year-old Uruguayan centre-back, The Sun reports, with the English sides sending scouts to monitor the teenager.
ATAKAN AKKAYNAK: Chelsea and Barcelona are set to ignite a bidding war over the 18-year-old Bayer Leverkusen midfielder after a series of impressive performances in the Bundesliga, the Daily Express reports.
The transfer window may not open again until January 1 2018 but that hasn’t put an end to plenty of speculation throughout Europe.
Here, we take a look at three big stories dominating the headlines on Sunday.
What’s your view on Seri and Iniesta? And should Real sign Werner?
Let us know your thoughts.
Jean Michael Seri is “not destabilized” following his failed transfer to Barcelona and is focused on his football with Nice.
The 26-year-old was on the verge of moving to the Nou Camp club before last month’s transfer window deadline but the Catalan side pulled the plug on the deal at the last minute – instead, signing Ousmane Dembele from Borussia Dortmund for an initial €105million.
Speaking to L’Equipe following Nice’s 4-0 rout over Monaco on Saturday, the central midfield man said: “I turned the page after August 31.”
While Barcelona and many other of Europe’s top clubs could still re-enter the race to sign the Ivorian star in January, for now, Ligue 1 competition is the only priority for Seri.
Andres Iniesta has revealed he wasn’t trying to undermine club president Josep Maria Bartomeu by confirming he had not penned a new contract extension at the Nou Camp.
Club legend Iniesta, who is out of contract at the end of the season, had apparently – according to Bartomeu – agreed terms to extend his 15-year Blaugrana stay.
But the midfielder claimed that was not the case last week.
However, speaking after Barca’s thumping home victory over Espanyol on Saturday night, the World Cup winner said his home will always be with his club in Catalonia.
He told Marca: “I spoke with the club, those who know me know that I would never put my personal circumstances into a club situation, I didn’t say what I did to contradict the president, it was the truth about the situation.
“It has been a long time since we started talking with the club, they are going to do as they please and my only desire is to have a good season and achieve things with this club, whether I stay or not this is my home.”
A resolution to Iniesta’s contract situation, and indeed Lionel Messi’s, is high on Bartomeu’s agenda to fix before both players will be allowed to negotiate free transfers in 2018.
Zinedine Zidane is reportedly continuing to monitor the progress of RB Leipzig forward Timo Werner, according to AS.
Los Blancos have been short of goals in La Liga this term in the absence of the suspended Cristiano Ronaldo while Karim Benzema sustained a hamstring injury against Levante and Alvaro Morata left the club in the summer.
It has led to speculation the Whites will step up interest in the Germany international in January.
Despite being only 21, the former Stuttgart youth prodigy has more than an eye for goal and has already bagged four to his name this season.
Another day in football, another wave of transfer rumours to keep up on. Take a look at the most recent names and gossip being floated around in the media.
Will any of the following deals happen in January?
The Real Madrid superstar is set to turn down deals from Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur to sign a new contract at the Bernabeu, according to the Sun.
Isco has been instrumental this season so far and played a key role in Spain’s recent wins over Italy and Lichtenstein.
With his current deal set to expire at the end of the season, a host of clubs have stepped in try and lure the 25-year-old away from Madrid, but he insists his future remains in the Spanish capital.
No midfielder had been involved in more goals than Isco in La Liga last season (10 goals, eight assists) and the 25-year-old is a key man for Real moving forward.
West Ham will launch a fresh £35 million bid for Sporting Lisbon star William Carvalho in January, according to the Sun.
The collapse of a deadline day deal for the Portuguese midfielder has led to the relationship between the two clubs hitting rock bottom.
West Ham claim Lisbon kept changing details of the deal – including the price – while Lisbon have reportedly said no bid was ever made.
The 25-year-old has been previously linked with a move to Manchester United.
Sporting’s president said recently he would be willing to negotiate over the contract clauses of some of his players to raise funds and this could help Slaven Bilic in his pursuit of the 25-year-old.
Bilic needs to significantly bolster his midfield options and Carvalho is seen as the perfect recruit as the combative defensive midfielder would have no issue adjusting to life in the Premier League.
Jamie Vardy has revealed that he wants to join a foreign club when he leaves Leicester, according to the Daily Star.
Vardy was close to leaving Leicester last summer, when it seemed he was on the verge of a move to Arsenal, but the Foxes refused to let their star striker go.
It’s not known whether there’s a price at which Leicester would consider selling Vardy this summer.
The 30-year-old played a starring role in the Foxes’ miraculous Premier League triumph 16 months ago, and although he failed to hit the same heights last season there were signs that he was rediscovering his best form towards the end of the campaign.
Leicester may finally be ready to cash in on Vardy and the likes of Fenerbahce and Inter Milan could easily be the highest bidders.
Although 31 in January, the England international remains ambitious to win more trophies.