Birmingham vetoed signing Manchester United’s £31 million defender VICTOR LINDELOF because he “wasn’t quite tough enough”, former boss Gary Rowett has revealed.
Speaking on Sky Sports, the Derby manager admitted they “made a mistake” by opting against taking on the Swedish international – who went on to become one of United’s biggest buys – “two or three years ago”.
Jose Mourinho snapped up the 23-year-old at the end of last season from Benfica to bolster his side’s central defence.
Promising Chelsea youngster TAMMY ABRAHAM may snub playing for England in favour of Nigeria, The Sun reports.
The 19-year-old striker, on loan at Swansea, has played for England at youth level, but can swap because he has not played for a senior side so far.
The newspaper was told by the Nigerian Football Federation president Amaju Pinnick, reportedly a friend of Abraham’s father: “I can tell you authoritatively that he has agreed to play for Nigeria and not England.”
At least two Premier League clubs have taken interest in Paris St Germain’s EDINSON CAVANI after his spat with Neymar in Sunday’s 2-0 win over Lyon, Mail Online reports.
Hostility between the Paris club’s new £200m forward and their established striker is said to have piqued Everton and Chelsea.
However, either will reportedly have to outmanoeuvre his former side Napoli – and cough up over £120,000 a week – to secure his services.
A deal that would see RAHEEM STERLING and ALEXIS SANCHEZ swap clubs could go ahead in January, the Mirror reports.
Arsene Wenger is said to be keen to sign the England player, while Sanchez is rumoured to want a reunion with Pep Guardiola.
However, after a £60 million offer collapsed over the summer, the City boss may have a fight on his hands with rival Jose Mourinho – who is also after the Chile international, according to The Sun.
Chelsea forward EDEN HAZARD has ruled out a megabucks move to PSG, the Daily Express reports.
The £32 million Belgian international had admitted he would be open to returning to France, where he played for Lille until his 2012 transfer to west London.
SOCIAL MEDIA ROUND-UP
— The Sun Football ⚽ (@TheSunFootball) September 20, 2017
— Mirror Football (@MirrorFootball) September 21, 2017
PLAYERS TO WATCH
DAVID PHILIPP: Liverpool and Tottenham are after the 17-year-old Werder Bremen starlet, according to The Sun.
DAYOT UPAMECANO: The Reds are interested in the RB Leipzig 18-year-old, however the Bundesliga side have an £89 million buy-out clause in his contract, the Daily Star reports.
The transfer window may not open again until January 1 2018 but that hasn’t put an end to plenty of speculation throughout Europe.
Here, we take a look at three big stories dominating the headlines on Tuesday.
Will any of the following deals happen?
Let us know your thoughts.
Barcelona are hoping to beat the challenge of Bayern Munich to sign Schalke midfielder Leon Goretzka, according to Sport Bild.
Despite widespread reports that Bayern have already secured a deal with Goretzka – who is out of contract at the end of season – Barcelona are ready to nip in and agree a deal with the German international.
Goretzka is one of the stars of German football after his stunning displays for Joachim Low’s side in the Confederations Cup during the summer.
With Bayern Munich struggling at present, the 22-year-old could opt to pursue a new challenge in La Liga instead as Barcelona look for a midfielder capable of pulling the strings for years to come.
Arsenal are plotting a January swoop for Marseille left-back Christopher Rocchia, according to Foot Mercato.
Rocchia is currently playing second fiddle to Patrice Evra at Marseille and is yet to sign a professional contract.
He has impressed Arsenal scout Gilles Grimandi, while Borussia Dortmund are also monitoring the 19-year-old.
Rocchia is considered Marseille’s most promising young star and currently captains the reserve side.
The club are trying to tie down the defender on a three-year deal but negotiations have dragged on since the summer, and while talks continue to stall, Arsenal will be keeping a close eye on his situation heading into the winter.
Barcelona are preparing a list of defenders to pursue in the future, with Ajax star Matthijs de Ligt considered a prime target, according to Mundo Deportivo.
The paper reports that Barcelona have sent scouts to the Eredivisie to monitor de Ligt as Ernesto Valverde looks to sign new defenders next summer.
The Dutch giants are said to be calm over the situation, with de Ligt only signing a new four-year deal last month.
The 18-year-old centre-back broke into the Ajax first team last season and has been tipped for great heights at the Amsterdam Arena.
With Barcelona looking to bolster their defensive options, de Ligt remains one of their key targets as Gerard Pique, Javier Mascherano and Thomas Vermaelen all get older.
GABRIEL JESUS’s current £70,000-a-week wage packet could more than double as bosses at Manchester City look to keep hold of the forward, the Daily Mirror reports. The Brazilian made his debut nine months ago and has scored 12 goals in 17 games.
Arsenal’s ALEXIS SANCHEZ is in high demand in north-west England, according to The Sun. Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho wants to lure the Chilean away from previous bidders Manchester City, who in the summer were unsuccessful with a £60million offer.
With Arsenal showing little interest in opening up talks with JACK WILSHERE, the 25-year-old could be heading for his boyhood favourites West Ham, the Daily Star says. The midfielder is in the last year of his contract with the Gunners and hopes to impress the Hammers in time for a move in January.
After a deal fell through in the summer, Championship club Preston could once again make a move for Liverpool defender LLOYD JONES come January, the Daily Mirror reports. The 21-year-old is also on the radar of a host of League One clubs, the paper says.
KARIM BENZEMA could be leaving Real Madrid for Arsenal, according to Spanish publication Don Balon. The Gunners are said to be willing to pay more than £44million for the 30-year-old, it is reported.
“You don’t repair the kind of damage we’ve suffered overnight”
— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) September 19, 2017
— Mirror Football (@MirrorFootball) September 19, 2017
PIETRO PELLEGRI: The Premier League could be calling for the 17-year-old after an impressive start at Genoa, La Gazzetta dello Sport says. His performance since arriving on the scene last season has seen interest from Manchester United and Chelsea, as well as AC Milan and Juventus, the paper said.
SERGEJ MILINKOVIC-SAVIC: The 22-year-old has made waves at Lazio – and it has not gone unnoticed by Manchester rivals United and City, according to the Daily Mirror. The player’s agent told Radio CRC there had been “interest from several clubs” for the Serbian midfielder, the paper reports.
Provided by Press Association