JOSE MOURINHO’s time at Manchester United could be extended by another five years, according to The Sun. The manager, who joined United for three years in 2016, looks set to sign a new deal worth £65 million, the paper says. Executives appear to be pleased with United’s performance this season so far, with the club currently sitting level on points with Premier League leaders Manchester City.
Uncertainty surrounds PHILIPPE COUTINHO’s future at Liverpool as Barcelona chief executive Oscar Grau said the Spanish club are poised to make another offer for the midfielder in the January transfer window, according to The Guardian. Barcelona previously made three offers for the 25-year-old in the summer but each was turned down by the Reds. Now Grau has said, “We are ready to sign Coutinho or any other player the technical staff request in the winter window,” the paper reports.
JUAN MATA seems happy to continue his career at Manchester United after turning down an offer from the Chinese Super League, the Daily Mirror reports. The midfielder rejected a potential £165,000-a-week pay packet to stay in the Premier League. The 29-year-old’s contract will come to an end next year but United have the option to extend his current deal by 12 months.
Rivals Manchester United and Manchester City are both said to be targeting Monaco player FABINHO, The Sun reports. United have shown interest in the Brazilian before but their offers have never come to pass. But he is now said to be on the radar of Pep Guardiola after putting in impressive performances following a switch from right-back to a more central position.
CALUM CHAMBERS has completed a contract extension deal with Arsenal, The Daily Mirror reports. The defender spent last season on loan at Middlesbrough but is said to have impressed Arsene Wenger since his return in the summer to earn a one-year contract extension, meaning he will remain at the Emirates until 2021.
@The Sunfootball – Manchester United battle Arsenal to sign Bundesliga star
@talkSPORT – Some transfers are already looking likely in January
Motherwell under-20 star ADAM LIVINGSTONE has not gone unnoticed by a number of English clubs, the Motherwell Times reports. The 19-year-old, whose contract expires at the end of the season, is said to have caught the attention of Bristol City. His current form has seen him score three goals in eight appearances this season.
JACK WILSHERE is considering his position at Arsenal as he eyes a place in England’s Word Cup squad, The Daily Mirror says. With little game time this season, the 25-year-old is said to be thinking about leaving the club in a bid to make the starting XI elsewhere and improve his chances of going to Russia next year.
Barcelona are planning a fresh assault on Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho in the January transfer window, the Catalan club’s CEO Oscar Grau promised on Wednesday.
Barca were thwarted in their attempt to prise Coutinho away from Anfield during the summer with Liverpool placing a reported €200 million asking price on the midfielder.
Despite the player trying to engineer a move, Liverpool turned down his late transfer request during the close season window.
But Grau made clear the Spanish giants had not given up the chase.
“We are ready to sign Coutinho, or any other player (during the winter transfer window),” he told a press conference.
“We have the money,” Grau said, confirming the club’s announcement in July of record income of €708 million for 2016/2017 with an after-tax profit of 18m euros.
Grau added: “The most important thing is the demands from the management, and we will do everything possible to meet them. We want to have the most competitive team possible.”
Barca experienced a tumultuous time during the summer transfer market, losing Coutinho’s compatriot Neymar to Paris Saint-Germain for a world-record €222 million, and bringing in Ousmane Dembele from Borussia Dortmund for €105 million.
But Dembele has endured a nightmare start to life at the Camp Nou. The France international suffered a hamstring injury on his full La Liga debut ruling him out until January at the earliest.
The transfer window may not open again until January 1 2018 but that hasn’t put an end to plenty of speculation throughout Europe.
Here, we take a look at the big stories dominating the headlines on Tuesday.
Will any of the following deals happen?
Let us know your thoughts.
Barcelona are plotting a move for Atletico Madrid star Antoine Griezmann after making the striker their new one target next summer, according to the Daily Mirror.
Griezmann has an €100m release clause in his agreement with Atletico until July 1 next year.
But that increases to €200m after that date until the end of his contract in 2023, according Mundo Deportivo.
Diego Simeone will want to keep his star man, but a fee in excess of €100 million will be difficult to turn down, especially with new arrival Diego Costa capable of leading the attack.
Griezmann is no doubt the best possible replacement available to help fill the gap left by Neymar and create a trident with Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez.
During the summer transfer window, when speculation was rife that the Frenchman was on his way to Manchester United, he committed to staying at Atletico in the wake of the club’s transfer ban.
Griezmann has scored three goals for Simeone’s this season to help them up to fourth in La Liga – a point ahead of Real Madrid and five adrift of Barcelona.
Manchester United are poised to swoop Tottenham Hotspur defender Danny Rose next summer, according to Talksport.
The 27-year-old is considered a long term option for Jose Mourinho’s side and they are set to offer fresh terms during the January transfer window after missing out over the summer.
The England international has been sidelined with a knee injury since January but is expected to make a return later this month.
Mourinho has certainly had his doubts over Luke Shaw and Matteo Darmian at left-back and is believed to be a keen admirer of Rose.
Widely regarded as the best left-back in the league, the England international has an able replacement in Ben Davies if he is to leave North London, but it’s hard to see why he would want a move to Old Trafford, especially with Spurs already title contenders.
Manchester City are eying a cut-price £3 million for Napoli left back Faouzi Ghoulam in January.
The 26-year-old is out of contract next summer which has put Liverpool, Chelsea, Juventus and City on red alert.
Pep Guardiola is also believed to want the Algerian international as a direct replacement for the injured Benjamin Mendy.
Napoli will likely loath to let their star defender go for cheap, but given that they risk losing him on a free next summer, the Sky Blues could yet snap Ghoulam up for a reasonable price in January.
Ghoulam’s 87% pass completion rate in the Serie A last season was just one sign of his dependability, while his ability to barrel forward has helped make him arguably the best left-back in the league.
In addition, his comfort on the ball will also be attractive to Guardiola as he looks for a solid presence at the back in the absence of Mendy.