WHAT THE PAPERS SAY
Manchester City are monitoring Real Sociedad defender Inigo Martinez ahead of the January transfer window, The Sun reports. The Spaniard, 26, was reportedly lined up for a move to the Etihad Stadium last summer, although it failed to come to fruition.
Should Vincent Kompany and John Stones continue to be sidelined through injury, Martinez is expected to be all the more attractive to boss Pep Guardiola – however Barcelona are also said to be considering a swoop.
Newcastle are keen on making a move for Manchester United left-back Luke Shaw, the Daily Mirror says. Magpies boss Rafa Benitez is said to believe Shaw, who cost United £30 million, will receive the boost he needs at St James’ Park after struggling to get Premier League game time under Jose Mourinho.
Manchester United may have to fend off competition from Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Juventus if they wish to secure the services of Schalke midfielder Leon Goretzka in January, The Sun reports. After rejecting a new contract with the Bundesliga side the 22-year-old will be free to choose in the summer, with a move to the Premier League reportedly a likely outcome.
Plans for Arsenal’s £35 million defender Shkodran Mustafi to leave the club in January appear to have been put on hold, the Daily Mirror reports. The delay is reportedly down to Inter Milan not believing the Gunners will let the Germany international leave before the summer, while Mustafi has also failed to secure a regular first-team position this season.
Manchester United forward Anthony Martial is on the target list of Real Madrid who are willing to blow £80 million on the 21-year-old Frenchman, according to The Sun. Real coach Zinedine Zidane is reportedly looking for younger players to compliment Cristiano Ronaldo, who turns 33 in February, and Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale.
SOCIAL MEDIA ROUND-UP
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Jann-Fiete Arp: Chelsea are in line to beat off competition from Arsenal and Manchester United to sign the 17-year-old Hamburg striker, the Metro reports.
Luciano Cingolani: Newell’s Old Boys have been forced to play down suggestions the under-16 midfielder is sought by Manchester United, according to the Manchester Evening News.
The transfer window may not open again until January 1 2018 but that hasn’t put an end to plenty of speculation throughout Europe.
Here, we take a look at three big stories dominating the headlines on Wednesday.
Will any of the following deals happen?
Let us know your thoughts!
Los Blancos are set to raid the January transfer market with boss Zinedine Zidane being given funds by president Florentino Perez to strengthen his squad.
According to Marca, the Whites want to freshen things up in the window following an indifferent start to the season.
While it has not yet been disclosed precisely which options Real are looking at, funds are there, as always, to lavish should the right candidate be available.
Madrid want to keep last season’s double-winning squad together, and as such, there is not expected to be any movement through the exit door, but incomings are very likely.
The German star, who is out of contract at the end of this season, is available to speak to other clubs in the New Year and there is so far no agreement in place between the player and Arsenal that he will sign a new deal.
Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has admitted recently he is unsure where Ozil’s future lies – opening the door to Barca to pursue the former Real Madrid star.
While Arsenal have naturally denied any agreement with Blaugrana is in place for the 29-year-old, Ozil, himself, has yet to discuss his next move.
Whether or not the ex-Los Blancos star is what Barca need is open for debate but there’s no doubting his supreme talent. While the interest from La Liga is likely to rumble on, it’s down to Ozil now to decide where his future lies. It does, though, look increasingly unlikely that’ll be at the Emirates Stadium.
The talented attacker has found it difficult to nail down a regular first-team spot with the Parisian side since his arrival in January of this year.
The signings of Neymar and Kylian Mbappe have of course also added more competition in forward areas, making it tough for Draxler to acclimatise to the Parc des Princes outfit.
Interest from both the Gunners and Merseysiders could convince PSG to cash in sooner rather than later – despite the German’s lengthy contract until 2021.
While Liverpool aren’t short of creative attacking talent, Arsenal may well be come the end of the season – especially if Ozil and Alexis Sanchez both depart on a free.
Draxler has failed to settle in the French capital and it wouldn’t be surprising to see him move on even if it was for a fraction of the £30m fee PSG paid to Wolfsburg earlier in the year.
Former West Ham boss Slaven Bilic turned down the chance to replace Tony Pulis at West Brom, the Daily Mail claims.
Bilic left West Ham in November and was approached by Baggies owner Guochuan Lai about the vacant position at the Hawthorns, but said he thought it was too soon to return to football, the paper says.
Bournemouth midfielder Harry Arter is a wanted man, according to the Mirror. West Ham are keen on taking on the 27-year-old in January, but may face competition from Crystal Palace, the paper said.
Stoke are looking to bring Odion Ighalo back to the Premier League after a year in China, according to the Stoke Sentinel.
The former Watford player moved to Changchun Yatai at the start of 2017, scoring 15 goals in 27 appearances, and the Potters are apparently among four teams wanting to sign the striker.
Defender Eliaquim Mangala could be leaving the Etihad in January after struggling to make it in the Manchester City starting XI, the Sun writes.
The Frenchman said he is looking to get regular first-team football to ensure he is in contention for France’s World Cup squad.
Real Madrid are said to have described Arsenal’s £40million offer for Karim Benzema as embarrassing, the Sun reports.
Arsenal are keen on bringing the French striker to the Emirates – potentially during the January transfer window as a replacement for Alexis Sanchez, the paper said.
— The Sun Football ⚽ (@TheSunFootball) November 23, 2017
— Daily Star Sport (@DailyStar_Sport) November 24, 2017
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Marouane Fellani: The Belgium international could be heading to the Parc des Princes to join Ligue 1 leaders Paris St Germain, according to Le10Sport.
The website reports that PSG have opened discussions with the 30-year-old Manchester United midfielder, who is out of contract in the summer.
Leon Goretzka: The Schalke midfielder is a key Arsenal target, but is set to sign for Barcelona instead, the Daily Mirror reports.
Provided by Press Association Sport