Although Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has said he expects the midfielder to stay at the Emirates beyond the January transfer window unless “something unbelievable” happens, the Germany international is out of contract in the summer and letting him walk away a free agent would mean Arsenal losing out on the chance to recoup any of the reported £43million they spent on him in 2013.
Meanwhile, Turkey playmaker Turan has reportedly fallen out of favour with Nou Camp boss Ernesto Valverde.
Both Premier League clubs are said to be poised to make offers, while new Albion boss Alan Pardew is said to be considering which players he can sell in order to bring in new talent.
The Gunners, City and Leicester all failed with summer bids for the Northern Ireland international, who the Baggies value at over £30million. However, the club reportedly plan to offer him a new contract and Pardew is keen to sit down with Evans after being appointed on a deal until 2020 on Wednesday.
United are said to be willing to sell Shaw for a reduced fee – having paid £27million for him when he moved from Southampton in 2014. Benitez, who is said to want to sign a new left-back in January, may have to stump up to bag Shaw as Turkish giants Fenerbahce are also said to have made inquiries.
Uncertainty continues to hang over the future of Emre Can at Liverpool amid reports of a contract dispute with Kop chiefs. The Germany midfielder looks increasingly likely to leave the Reds when his current deal runs out in the summer, reports the Liverpool Echo, with Juventus a possible destination.
Meanwhile, Barca’s La Liga rivals Atletico Madrid may see approaches from several Premier League clubs for striker Kevin Gameiro, The Sun reports. The France international, who joined Atletico from Sevilla in July 2016 for a reported £28million, is said to have attracted the attention of Tottenham, Newcastle and Everton.
A lack of time on the pitch may increase the likelihood of the 30-year-old moving on, although the British clubs may have to offer significant sums in order to satisfy Atletico’s money men.
SOCIAL MEDIA ROUND-UP
@TheSunfootball: Pochettino wants surprise Prem midfielder in January
@DailyStar_Sport: Chelsea and Tottenham target Richarlison offered to AC Milan
@MailSport: Barcelona set to ‘launch bid for Willian’ if they fail to land Philippe Coutinho in January transfer window
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Yannick Toure: Newcastle are watching the Young Boys striker, 17, who was born in Senegal but now has a Swiss passport and plays for the country’s youth team, the Daily Mail reports.
Joe Nuttall: The 20-year-old Blackburn striker and former Manchester City youth product is being tracked by a number of Premier League and Championship clubs, according to TeamTalk.
The transfer window is closed until January but that doesn’t keep the rumour mill churning as clubs look to get a leg up on potential transfers.
Here are three big stories dominating the headlines on Thursday.
Will any of the following deals happen?
REAL PLAN SWOOP FOR INTER STAR ICARDI
Real Madrid are set to launch a bid for Inter Milan forward Mauro Icardi in the January transfer window, according to Marca.
Club president Florentino Perez has made no secret that significant funds will be made available to boss Zinedine Zidane to strengthen the Whites – and Icardi is at the top of the club’s shopping list.
The Nerazzurri ace has already plundered 15 goals in 14 appearances this term – and while he’s contracted to the San Siro club until 2023 – Real are confident they can force Inter’s hand with a bid in the region of €100m.
Icardi has been in talks with the Milan outfit to extend his current deal but so far, negotiations seemed to have stalled.
Los Blancos are ready to step in and test Inter’s mettle come January, given they believe the Argentine can help take some of the goalscoring workload off of club legend Cristiano Ronaldo.
It remains to be seen whether Inter would want to offload their star man mid-season, but when Real come calling, they are difficult to turn down for club and player alike.
Icardi has been billed as a potential replacement for Karim Benzema and very much fits the mould of striker Madrid are looking for, given his potency in front of goal.
NAVAS HAS ‘NOTHING TO PROVE’ AS REAL CONSIDER OTHER KEEPING OPTIONS
Real Madrid goalkeeper Keylor Navas is unmoved by speculation linking the club with Athletic Bilbao stopper Kepa Arrizabalaga, insisting he has nothing to prove.
Zidane’s men are reportedly ready to swoop for the highly-rated Spain international, casting further doubts over the Costa Rican’s future and indeed that of Kiko Casilla.
“I don’t have to prove anything to anyone,” Navas, who is currently on the sidelines due to injury, told FOX Sports.
“I must enjoy my career and being what Real Madrid is, you never know what may happen in the future.”
While the 30-year-old, ironically, could be back for this weekend’s trip to Bilbao – it is clear Real have made signing a new shot-stopper one of their big priorities.
Zidane has previously gone on record to publicly back Navas but now it seems the Whites will rev up their attempts to sign a replacement.
Arrizabalaga seems the man most likely to come in while the club have also been linked with Manchester United star David de Gea again in recent weeks.
WORK STILL TO BE DONE ON NEW SERGI ROBERTO CONTRACT
Barcelona have agreed the length of Sergi Roberto’s new contract extension, but have yet to finalise financial terms of the deal.
According to Sport, Blaugrana will extend the 25-year-old’s current contract by three years from 2019 to 2022, and have also negotiated a staggering release clause of €400m.
The one sticking point however is the full-back’s annual salary – although the homegrown La Masia graduate is expected to agree those terms sooner rather than later.
The right-back come right winger has been linked with the likes of the Red Devils, Chelsea and Manchester City – but after reinstalling himself as a key man at the Nou Camp club again – his future clearly lies at Barcelona.
Expect all parties to come to an agreement soon.
WHAT THE PAPERS SAY
ZLATAN IBRAHIMOVIC is to start talks with Jose Mourinho over new deal to keep the Swede at Old Trafford into next season, The Sun reports. The 36-year-old forward, who returned from nearly seven months out through injury against Watford on Tuesday, was reportedly looking for a lucrative move to the United States. However, after such a long spell out of action, he has arranged talks with the manager in the new year to see about an extension to a 12-month deal signed in August.
Manchester United‘s DAVID DE GEA and Chelsea‘s THIBAUT COURTOIS are among potential target goalkeepers for Real Madrid, the Daily Mail reports. Both have 18 months left on their contracts, although Real boss Zinedine Zidane is said to be concerned over the strength of his side’s goal-stopping ability. Athletic Bilbao goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalag, who will be available in January, is also reportedly a candidate.
Chelsea are poised to swoop on Juventus’ £60million left-back ALEX SANDRO in January, the Daily Express reports. The Blues reportedly attempted to bring Sandro to Stamford Bridge over the summer.
Should fellow Brazilian international DAVID LUIZ’s reported fall-out with boss Antonio Conte lead to the defender leaving for Real Madrid, it would create a vacancy for Sandro to fill.
Marco Silva is concerned Watford may struggle to keep hold of £11.5million forward RICHARLISON as the Brazilian continues to attract admiring glances from other Premier League clubs, including Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea, the Sun reports. After digging their heels in to fend off multiple reported attempts by Everton to lure their respected boss away, the club may not be able to stop the 20-year-old moving on – despite only joining from Fluminense on a five-year deal in July. Clubs from the Chinese Super League are also said to be keeping watch.
One of new West Brom boss Alan Pardew’s first signings could be Liverpool striker DANNY INGS, the Birmingham Mail reports. The 25-year-old is said to be due to be available for loan in January and Pardew could bring him in while Albion plots bigger swoops – and sales. Team mate MARKO GRUJIC is also set to be available in the winter window and the Serbian would like to stay in the Premier League, the Mail reports.
SOCIAL MEDIA ROUND-UP
PLAYERS TO WATCH
SIME VRSALJKO: The 25-year-old Atletico Madrid defender is reported to be keen to leave Madrid, while Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola is out for a full-back.