Brazilian international Fabinho said on Wednesday that he will probably leave French champions Monaco at the end of the season, but that he has no intention of departing in January.
The 24-year-old was linked with a transfer in the close season after a stellar campaign in which he helped the principality club win the Ligue 1 title and reach the Champions League semi-finals.
But Fabinho stayed with Monaco after a possible move to Atletico Madrid fell through due to the Spanish giants’ transfer ban.
“Ordinarily, it’s my last season at Monaco. Nothing is signed,” he said.
“During the transfer window and even a month afterwards it was a little difficult to live with the situation. But I don’t think about it anymore, I’ve turned the page.
“(As for leaving in January) I don’t think so. I have had no contact (from other clubs) and I’m secure at Monaco.”
Fabinho, who extended his Monaco contract to 2021 last year, hinted that a move to Atletico could still go ahead in June.
But the defensive midfielder’s form has been patchy this season in a Monaco side that have slipped nine points behind title rivals Paris Saint-Germain and dumped out of Europe.
“Yes, it’s a possibility, but nobody from Atletico has spoken to me or my agent,” he added.
“I have to demonstrate that I’m still at the level to play in teams like that. I know that I’m not the Fabinho of last season and it’s hard to explain why.”
Monaco was depleted as Kylian Mbappe, Tiemoue Bakayoko, Bernardo Silva and Benjamin Mendy departed in the close season, but Leonardo Jardim’s side can cut the gap to PSG to six points at Saint-Etienne on Friday, ahead of the Ligue 1 leaders’ trip to Rennes the following day.
Provided by AFP Sport
Paris Saint-Germain will reinforce their midfield with the latest Brazilian wonderkid Wendel in the January transfer window, the player’s agent told L’Equipe on Wednesday.
The 20-year-old is under contract with Rio outfit Fluminense where he is enjoying a remarkable breakout season, but has now agreed to “a dream move to Paris”, the agent Carlos Henrique Brasil told the French daily.
The player would be seen as a long-term replacement for midfield general Thiago Motta, now 35, but may first be loaned out to Porto until next July.
“Whatever PSG decide Wendel is ready, he’s got lots of personality and lots of heart,” the agent said.
The ambitious French club signed two Brazilians in the striker Neymar and defender Dani Alves this summer and also have defenders Thiago Silva and Marquinos on their books.
WHAT THE PAPERS SAY
Chelsea are reportedly considering entering the race to sign Monaco star Thomas Lemar in January, alongside Liverpool and Arsenal.
The France midfielder turned down a move to the Premier League in August but, according to the Daily Mail, reports in France claim the Premier League champions are set to bid £80million next month.
Meanwhile, Chelsea could bag Juventus defender and Manchester United target Alex Sandro in January, the Sun reports. The paper says United have had the Brazilian star on their shopping list but the defender has made it clear he wants to move to Stamford Bridge.
West Ham are said to be eyeing up Reading’s Liam Moore as David Moyes looks to strengthen his defence. The Mirror says the Hammers watched Moore in the Royals’ 2-2 draw with Cardiff on Monday and could be tempted to make a move in the January transfer window.
Manchester United are concerned that Antoine Griezmann will move to Barcelona over Old Trafford in the summer, the Independent reports. The paper claims the Spanish side have surged ahead in the race for his signature, after a deal with United fell apart in June in the wake of Atletico Madrid’s transfer ban.
Chelsea have been rebuffed in a £22million move for Bayer Leverkusen winger Leon Bailey, according to the Daily Mail. The Premier League champions see the 20-year-old as a possible replacement for Eden Hazard, the paper says, but Leverkusen will fight to keep the talented youngster. Manchester United, Liverpool and Barcelona are also reportedly keeping tabs on the Jamaican.
SOCIAL MEDIA ROUND-UP
@TheSunfootball: EXCLUSIVE: Man United want £20million German ace Nadiem Amiri.
@Telefootball: Manchester City hoping to tie down Gabriel Jesus with new long-term deal.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Jann-Fiete Arp: Tottenham and Everton have joined the list of clubs keeping an eye on the 17-year-old striker, the Mirror reports. The German starlet has impressed with his record-breaking season, breaking into the Hamburg first team and becoming the first player born in 2000 to play and score in the Bundesliga. Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester City are also said to be interested in the young player.
Scott McTominay: The Manchester United star is wanted on loan by several Championship clubs, according to the Sun. The paper says Jose Mourinho is a fan of the 21-year-old, but it is thought the Red Devils would like him to get some regular time on the pitch. Clubs such as Leeds, Preston and Bolton are said to be on alert – although concerns over some of United’s other midfielders could mean he will stay put, the paper adds.