Real Madrid lining up Icardi as Aubayemang set for showdown talks at Dortmund

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Icardi's time at Inter Milan seems to be coming to an end.

The transfer window is well and truly in full swing!

Here, we take a look at the biggest stories dominating the headlines on Tuesday.

Will any of the following deals happen?

Let us know your thoughts.

Get in touch via Twitter and Facebook.

REAL MADRID EYE ICARDI SWOOP

Inter Milan striker Mauro Icardi is Real Madrid‘s top transfer target this summer, according to Corriere dello Sport.

Icardi has a €110million release clause in his contract, and Madrid are prepared to activate it, having identified the Argentine as the replacement to struggling striker Karim Benzema.

RATING: 8/10

VERDICT

Icardi has been linked with a move to Spain for a while now, and with Real Madrid’s attackers struggling, a move for the Inter talisman makes sense.

The Argentine knows that there is a ceiling for him in Italy, with opportunities to win the major trophies limited, and Real Madrid will offer him a perfect platform to achieve the success a player of his level deserves.

Signing him could also have the added effect of getting Benzema out of his slump in form – or else there’s a genuine threat to his status as Real Madrid’s first-choice No. 9.

Icardi is being backed to solve Real Madrid's struggles up front.

AUBAMEYANG SET FOR DORTMUND SHOWDOWN TALKS

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is set for showdown talks at Borussia Dortmund after his latest disciplinary issues.

The Gabon striker was suspended for Dortmund’s 0-0 draw with Wolfsburg on Sunday after missing a team meeting last week.

Aubameyang, who has been itching for a move away from the Bundesliga club, will sit down for discussions with head coach Peter Stoger and sporting director Michael Zorc this week.

RATING: 7/10

VERDICT

Aubameyang seems to have checked out at Dortmund, mentally, and a move away is probably best for all concerned.

It seems increasingly like the club’s hierarchy have reached the same conclusion, and with speculation of a move to Arsenal growing, the time is right to cut ties before the relationship turns sour between both sides.

The showdown talks could be one final attempt to remind Aubameyang of his responsibilities and duty to be professional until he gets his move, but in a stand-off like this, clubs have to know when to draw the line, and Dortmund are probably ready for that moment now.

Aubameyang's Dortmund chapter looks like it's over.

FRED TALKS UP POSSIBILITY OF MAN CITY MOVE AGAIN

Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Fred has issued another come-and-get-me plea to Pep Guardiola and Manchester City.

Speaking to Gazetto dello Sport, Fred said he’d been informed that City were interested in him and that he was “happy to be so well known in Europe.”

The comments came on the back of previous occasions where he’s spoken of a move to City, saying he’s “waiting impatiently” for a call from Guardiola.

RATING: 7/10

VERDICT

Guardiola is a known admirer of Fred, having complimented the Brazilian following Donetsk’s 2-1 win over City back in December.

How the attacker would get playing time in a squad that already has playmakers David Silva, Kevin de Bruyne, and Bernardo Silva, not to mention the other attacking players who are deployed in front of them, is a different story – but that’s the sort of dilemma Guardiola loves to have.

Fred: the latest attacking midfielder to display his talents at the Etihad Stadium?

Most popular

Alexis Sanchez transfer hinges on Henrikh Mkhitaryan deal, says agent

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Henrikh Mkhitaryan during happier times at Manchester United.

Manchester United’s bid to sign Alexis Sanchez from Arsenal hinges on Henrikh Mkhitaryan moving the other way, the Armenian player’s agent said Tuesday as Antonio Conte distanced Chelsea from a potential deal.

United boss Jose Mourinho admitted on Monday that his side “have a chance” to sign Sanchez in the January transfer window, with previous suitors Manchester City understood to have pulled out of the race for the 29-year-old due to the cost involved.

There has been speculation Mkhitaryan will be offered as a makeweight from United to land Sanchez, and Mourinho left the playmaker out of the squad to face Stoke on Monday due to “doubts about his future”.

Mkhitaryan’s agent Mino Raiola told Britain’s Times newspaper that Sanchez’s transfer to United was reliant on his client joining Arsenal as part of the deal.

“Manchester United are not going to sign Sanchez unless Mkhi agrees to join Arsenal,” Raiola told the newspaper.

“Mkhi is going to do what is best for him. He has two-and-a-half years left on his contract so it’s his decision.

“Sanchez is part of the Mkhi deal, not the other way around.”

Conte told a press conference he did not think the club were trying to sign Sanchez.

Most popular

Arsenal tracking Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang as replacement for Alexis Sanchez

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is linked with the Gunners.

WHAT THE PAPERS SAY

Alexis Sanchez’s impending departure from Arsenal has seen the Gunners open up talks with Borussia Dortmund over a transfer for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, according to the Daily Mirror. Arsenal’s new head of recruitment, Sven Mislintat, knows the 28-year-old Gabon forward from his time at the Bundesliga club and has recommended him to Emirates top brass, the newspaper reports. Dortmund are reported to be after £60 million for Aubameyang, however, which is likely to lead to delays while a deal is thrashed out.

The Gunners’ fund could be boosted by the £20 million sale of Theo Walcott to Everton, which could happen this week, the Daily Mirror says. The Toffees are said to be intent on securing the services of the 28-year-old forward, who may be inclined to move to Goodison Park with the promise of more play. The England player, who joined Arsenal from Southampton in 2006, has only made six Premier League appearances this season.

Across London, Chelsea’s plot to grab Andy Carroll to boost their attacking options is to be met with strong resistance by West Ham, The Sun reports. The Blues are said to be planning to offer the forward an opportunity to move to Stamford Bridge on loan. Carroll has struggled to be part of Hammers’ boss David Moyes’ plans while recovering from an ankle injury, however assistant manager Alan Irvine said the 29-year-old remains part of their strategy. According to the Evening Standard West Ham are only open to a permanent deal.

Tottenham Hotspur's English striker Harry Kane (L) greets West Ham United's English striker Andy Carroll (R) at the end of the English Premier League football match between Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United at Wembley Stadium in London, on January 4, 2018. / AFP PHOTO / Glyn KIRK / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE. No use with unauthorized audio, video, data, fixture lists, club/league logos or 'live' services. Online in-match use limited to 75 images, no video emulation. No use in betting, games or single club/league/player publications.  /         (Photo credit should read GLYN KIRK/AFP/Getty Images)

Could Andy Carroll be on his way to Stamford Bridge?

Swansea are in talks with Atletico Madrid over potential transfers for France striker Kevin Gameiro and Argentina midfielder Nicolas Gaitan, Wales Online report. New boss Carlos Carvalhal arrived tasked with keeping the club in the Premier League, and beefing up forward reinforcements is reported to be a priority. West Ham duo Diafra Sakho and Andre Ayew are reported to have been targets when the transfer season got underway, although the interest is said to have waned.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Solly March: Burnley are preparing to bid £10 million for the 23-year-old Brighton midfielder, the Daily Mail reports.

Jack Rodwell: Sunderland are willing to let the £70,000-a-week midfielder, 26, leave for free as they look to make cost savings, according Sky Sports.

Most popular