PSG sporting director: I would put my hand in the fire that Neymar will not leave

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Neymar has been constantly linked with a move to Real Madrid.

Luis Fernandez, sporting director at Paris Saint-Germain, has assured fans that £198million forward Neymar has “no desire” to leave the club.

Neymar only moved to PSG last summer from Barcelona, but has been dogged by speculation that he could leave for Real Madrid at the end of the season. However, Fernandez poured cold water on the rumours, saying the record signing wants to win trophies with his current club.

“I would put my hand in the fire that Neymar will not leave,” Fernandez said.

“If PSG has brought in Neymar and [Kylian] Mbappe it’s for them to win here and not leave. Neymar is eager to succeed here and bring titles. The club president [Nasser Al-Khelaifi] and the fans are with Neymar.”

Much of the speculation has been a result of reports that Neymar doesn’t get along with his PSG teammates, especially after a spat with Edinson Cavani over who would get to take a penalty. But it is a school of thought that both Neymar and the club have dismissed, and indeed, the relationship with Cavani seems to have settled.

“He is very happy, very comfortable here with his teammates,” Fernandez said. “When you see him play, you don’t see what is being reported. He is eager to succeed here.

“There were reports that he had a problem with [Edinson] Cavani but those are just stories and you can see on the pitch by how they play together [and] how they pass each other the ball that this is not true.

“All of his teammates and everyone knows that Neymar is the top player and that is how it is. I see Neymar being the one that guides the team, that triumphs here.”

Most popular

Related Tags

Liverpool star Virgil van Dijk insists he can handle the pressure of his £75m price tag

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Liverpool’s club record signing Virgil van Dijk insists he can handle the scrutiny of being the world’s most expensive defender.

The Dutch centre-back signed for the Reds a month ago after a £75m move from Southampton and has been viewed as the answer to Jurgen Klopp’s defensive problems.

While he has only played four matches, van Dijk is still far from his best after missing much of last year due to an ankle injury. However, he insists he can cope with the pressure of his hefty price tag.

“I can’t do anything about the fee so it is pretty easy for me. I am pretty calm on that,” he said.

“You are always going to have that but the most important thing is what happens at Melwood and what happens here with the people who care about the team.

“Other people around – fans of other clubs, pundits – they can have their opinions, but it doesn’t really bother me.

“So you need time to get used to everything but I am working on it every day together with the team.”

Klopp claimed it will be until next season before van Dijk is back to his towering best as he needs to adapt to playing a different style of football.

And van Dijk added: “I know because I made such a big step right now, for a lot of money, everything is going to be analysed.

“No-one is going to look at the good things that you do. Everybody is going to watch the bad things and that’s how it is.

“But I will discuss it with the people who want to make me better, who can make me better, that is the manager and the players around me. If they think it is right then that is the way forward.

“I am talking with the manager and everyone who can help me out. I want to improve and get the maximum out of myself and that is what I am going to do.”

The Dutchman can expect a hostile reception when he returns to his former club for the first time this Sunday as Liverpool take on Southampton at St. Mary’s.

“Maybe they can boo the whole game. What can you do about it? You can’t do anything. I made the decision, I have enjoyed every bit of it and I am very grateful for everything that they [Southampton] did for me. I have moved on, they have moved on,” he said.

Most popular

Related Tags

Chelsea eye Joe Hart as replacement for Real Madrid bound Thibaut Courtois

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Hart is in the frame to replace Courtois should he move to Madrid.

Arsenal are looking to tie down Aaron Ramsey to a new deal, but it could cost them more after the Mesut Ozil contract, the Daily Mirror reports.

The paper says the club are keen to keep the midfielder, who is in top form and has 18 months left on his current arrangement.

But Arsene Wenger has already admitted other players will want parity with the £350,000-a-week three-year deal for Ozil, the paper adds.

England goalkeeper Joe Hart is being eyed up as a potential replacement for Chelsea‘s Thibaut Courtois, according to the Sun.

The Blues fear Courtois, who has one season left on his current deal, will see out his contract or get snapped up by Real Madrid, the paper says, and Hart is in the frame to step in after his loan to West Ham ends.

Newcastle are set to revive their interest in Danish international Nicolai Jorgensen in the summer, according to the Daily Star.

He is said to be a target for Rafa Benitez to help beef up the Toon attack, but the club failed to match Feyenoord’s £20m valuation last month and brought in Leicester’s Islam Slimani on loan until the end of the season.

However, Benitez still sees Jorgensen as a long-term solution to Newcastle’s goal-scoring problems, the paper says.

Chelsea's Morata reportedly is a target for PSG.

Morata is reportedly a target for PSG.

Chelsea’s Alvaro Morata is reportedly a summer target for Paris St Germain.

The Daily Mirror says reports in France claim the Ligue 1 leaders are preparing a shock swoop for the Spanish striker, who has impressed after his switch to Stamford Bridge from Real Madrid last year.

David Moyes is unlikely to extend his stay at West Ham past the end of the season, according to the Daily Telegraph, even if the club avoid relegation.

The paper says the club are already expected to be searching for a new permanent manager in the summer, with the side’s 3-1 defeat to Brighton putting them back in relegation danger.

If Moyes does keep West Ham in the Premier League he may well have options elsewhere, the paper adds, but if not there is little chance of them keeping him on.

Most popular

Related Sections