Liverpool dealt blow as Marco Reus extends Borussia Dortmund contract until 2023

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Germany attacker Marco Reus, who had been attracting interest from Premier League clubs, has extended his contract with Borussia Dortmund until 2023, the Bundesliga club announced on Friday.

The winger’s old contract was due to expire in 2019 and the delay in prolonging it had reportedly drawn the attention of Tottenham and Liverpool.

“Since I was a child I have dreamed of playing in the black and yellow for this club,” said Reus who was born in Dortmund but made his Bundesliga debut with Borussia Moenchengladbach.

“I have worn the Borussia shirt since 2012. I am happy and proud to be able to announce today that I will continue to wear it.”

Reus, 28, has undoubted talent but his career has been fragmented by injuries which forced him out of both the last World Cup and Euro 2016.

He has strung together a good run of games recently and could be returning to full fitness just in time for this summer’s World Cup.

Most popular

Harry Kane promises to stay at Tottenham for another season and more Premier League transfer gossip

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Harry Kane reportedly wants to stay at Spurs for another year at least.

Harry Kane has vowed to stay at Tottenham for another season, The Sun reports, amid speculation Real Madrid had wanted to target the 24-year-old for a move abroad. The paper says the England striker is holding off making a decision on his long-term future and for the time being is happy to lead Spurs into their new stadium. Negotiations to keep Kane at the club are thought to be under way and could see him become one of the best-paid players in the Premier League.

Meanwhile, The Sun also claims manager Mauricio Pochettino could face a battle to keep Toby Alderweireld and Danny Rose – with Manchester United said to be poised to target the players this summer as Jose Mourinho looks to bolster his defensive options at Old Trafford. It comes as Pochettino looks to rally his squad after their Champions League exit.

Chelsea appear to be leading the race to sign Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly, according to the Star. The 26-year-old has long been a target for the Blues, making them favourites to land the star this summer. It is reported Arsenal and Manchester United are also interested in the Senegal international, but Chelsea look set to win a possible bidding war, the paper reports.

Chelsea are leading the race to sign Napoli's Koulibaly.

Chelsea are leading the race to sign Napoli’s Koulibaly.

Slavisa Jokanovic has been linked with the Chelsea manager’s job should Antonio Conte depart this summer, the Daily Mail says. The club’s hierarchy are said to be considering the Fulham boss, who played for Chelsea between 2002 and 2002. The Serb has impressed at Fulham, with the club on a winning streak since December, but it remains to be seen whether the 49-year-old will overtake former Barcelona boss Luis Enrique as favourite for the position.

SOCIAL MEDIA ROUND-UP

Players to watch

Malcom

Arsenal and Tottenham look to be facing a fight from Bayern Munich in the bid to sign the winger at the end of the season, the London Evening Standard says. The 21-year-old is set to depart Bordeaux in the summer, and the Premier League clubs are said to want to revisit a move for the player after missing out in January. But now, Bayern have decided to join the race, the paper says, after being impressed with the Brazilian’s performance in Ligue 1.

Bayern Munich has entered the race to sign Malcom.

Bayern Munich has entered the race to sign Malcom.

Mohamed Elyounoussi

The 23-year-old appears to be in high demand with Arsenal, Leicester and Southampton all considering moves for the forward, according to ESPN. Elyounoussi appears to have caught the eye of the Premier League teams after Basel defeated Manchester City in the Champions League this week, and Basel are said to be preparing themselves for a number of offers in the summer transfer window.

Most popular

Joshua Kimmich signs Bayern Munich contract extension until 2023

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Bayern Munich have secured the long-term future of full-back Joshua Kimmich after he signed a new five-and-a-half-year contract at the Allianz Arena.

The Germany international, who has played 37 matches for club and country this season, still had two years left on his existing deal but has dispelled any reported rumours of a reunion with former boss Pep Guardiola at Manchester City in the summer by extending his stay at the club.

Kimmich told fcbayern.com: “I’m very happy I’ve extended my contract so early. It shows the club and the officials have a lot of trust in me and see me as an important factor for FC Bayern’s long-term sporting success. It makes me proud.

“I’m grateful that I’ve always been able to develop at the highest possible level. My goals and the club’s goals for the coming years are very ambitious, and I want to play my part and do everything to achieve them with the team.”

The 23-year-old joined the Bundesliga runaway leaders from RL Leipzig in 2015 as a versatile player, predominantly playing in central midfield or in the forward line.

But since the retirement of Philipp Lahm at the end of last season, Kimmich has been a mainstay in the Bayern team at right-back and has also excelled in the position for the national team.

Most popular