Sokratis Papastathopoulos headlines our rumour mill as Man United lead race to sign Borussia Dortmund defender

David Cooper 10/03/2018
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

The January transfer window may be shut but there’s still plenty of news from the rumour mill with several moves being put off until the summer.

Here, we round-up the transfer tales that have got everyone talking on Saturday.

SOKRATIS

Manchester United are considering a summer swoop for the highly-rated Borussia Dortmund defender, according to the Mirror.

The Red Devils need a new centre-back and have watched the 29-year-old in action over the past few months.

Although they are interested in signing Tottenham ace Toby Alderweireld, who is out of contract at the end of this season, Sokratis is also on their radar – and at £25 million (Dh 127m) – should be an easier target to bring to Old Trafford.

Chelsea are believed to be keen on signing the Greek international, but United are understood to be front-runners to secure his signature.

SLAVISA JOKANOVIC

The Fulham boss has been linked with the Chelsea manager’s job should Antonio Conte depart this summer, the Daily Mail says.

Jokanovic, who appeared 39 times for the Stamford Bridge club between 2000 and 2002, has revived the Whites’ fortunes at Craven Cottage as they continue their push for Premier League promotion.

Fulham have been on a winning streak since December and that has only served to increase speculation that the 49-year-old Serb could make the short trip across the English capital to the King’s Road side.

The Serbian is said to be ahead of former Barcelona boss Luis Enrique in the running for the position.

HECTOR BELLERIN

The Arsenal right-back is reportedly trying to secure a move back to Barcelona this summer, Mundo Deportivo reports.

The La Masia graduate had been linked with a return to Camp Nou last term, but the Gunners refused to sell the elusive 22-year-old.

However, the £50million-rated (Dh250m) Spanish international still has his sights set on a return to Blaugrana following a difficult season at the Emirates.

While Sergi Roberto’s new contract extension and the form of Nelson Semedo give Barca two options in the position, Bellerin is still highly thought of by the Catalan giants and that won’t put the La Liga club off pursuing his services.

Bellerin is just one of several Arsenal stars considering their future in north London.

Most popular

Thomas Lemar headlines our rumour mill as Man City enter race to sign Monaco star

David Cooper 10/03/2018
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

The January transfer window may be shut but there’s still plenty of news from the rumour mill with several moves being put off until the summer.

Here, we round-up the transfer tales that have got everyone talking on Saturday.

THOMAS LEMAR

Manchester City have entered the race to sign the Monaco star, according to the Telegraph.

The 22-year-old was previously the subject of heavy interest from Arsenal last summer, while Liverpool were rumoured to have had several bids rejected for the winger.

But it is reported the Frenchman could be set to join Pep Guardiola at Etihad Stadium as the Sky Blues look to bolster their forward options ahead of next season.

Lemar, who can play on either side or through the middle, has made 107 appearances for Monaco, scoring 22 goals during his time in the south of France.

Borussia Dortmund v AS Monaco - UEFA Champions League Quarter Final: First Leg
RICHARLISON

Watford’s emerging star has offered hope to Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham by admitting to FourFourTwo that he would be open to a high-profile switch soon.

The Brazilian has had an impressive start to life at Vicarage Road, scoring five times in 15 appearances.

However, the goals dried up and the 20-year-old’s last strike came against West Ham in November.

Chelsea would have an advantage in signing Richarlison as the player’s agent has helped the west London club with several transfers involving Brazilian players, including Willian, Oscar and David Luiz.

Richarlison would command a fee in the region of £30 million (Dh 152m).

Most popular

Liverpool dealt blow as Marco Reus extends Borussia Dortmund contract until 2023

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Germany attacker Marco Reus, who had been attracting interest from Premier League clubs, has extended his contract with Borussia Dortmund until 2023, the Bundesliga club announced on Friday.

The winger’s old contract was due to expire in 2019 and the delay in prolonging it had reportedly drawn the attention of Tottenham and Liverpool.

“Since I was a child I have dreamed of playing in the black and yellow for this club,” said Reus who was born in Dortmund but made his Bundesliga debut with Borussia Moenchengladbach.

“I have worn the Borussia shirt since 2012. I am happy and proud to be able to announce today that I will continue to wear it.”

Reus, 28, has undoubted talent but his career has been fragmented by injuries which forced him out of both the last World Cup and Euro 2016.

He has strung together a good run of games recently and could be returning to full fitness just in time for this summer’s World Cup.

Most popular