Jose Mourinho keen to add £50m Real Madrid centre-back to Man United defence

David Cooper 22/03/2018
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Though the summer transfer window is still a few months away, that hasn’t stopped the rumours of players potentially being on the move.

Across the world of football, there remains plenty of activity and stories that have football fans talking.

Here, we look at the latest transfer deals that could happen when the market reopens in June.

Get in touch with your thoughts too via Twitter and Facebook.

RAPHAEL VARANE

Manchester United are ready to part with £50 million to lure Raphael Varane away from Real Madrid, according to the Mirror.

Jose Mourinho signed the Frenchman during his time in charge of Madrid and remains a fan of the centre-back. The Portuguese hopes Varane will help bring some stability to United’s back-line.

Madrid will attempt to get the highest fee they can for the 24-year-old but with Mourinho also eyeing Toby Alderweireld and Samuel Umtiti, United will not be intimidated into paying over the odds.

Verdict

Varane has struggled for form all season and prone to errors. Madrid won’t be too reluctant to selling the Frenchman. There’s still a talented defender in there and if Mourinho is confident he can restore Varane to his old self, it may be worth the bid. This has a bit of a Nemanja Matic feel to it.

Ratings – 7/10

Raphael Varane

Raphael Varane

PAULO DYBALA

Radio Marca report that Paulo Dybala met up with Diego Simeone.

Still getting into the flow of things following his injury, Dybala been omitted from the Argentina squad and has spent time in Madrid where he met with the Atletico Madrid coach on Monday evening.

Real Madrid, Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain are rumoured to be keeping tabs on the Juventus forward as well.

Verdict

If Antoine Griezmann leaves Atletico in the summer, Simeone couldn’t have dreamt of a more suitable replacement than Dybala. However, the Argentine must decide if the La Liga club are a step up from Juventus. At United, he would double his wages and be part of Mourinho’s rebuilding process while at Madrid or PSG, he would also be on a huge salary while competing for the Champions League.

Ratings – 4/10

Paulo Dybala

Paulo Dybala

JANN-FIETE ARP

Bayern Munich are eyeing Hamburg’s teenage striker Jann-Fiete Arp but the youngster has rejected their first offer, reports Bild.

Arp has emerged as one of the most exciting young talents in Europe and has attracted interest from Chelsea as well.

The 18-year-old’s contract runs out in 2019 but Hamburg are keen to extend it until 2023.

Verdict

Bayern may be planning for life without Robert Lewandowski but Arp is not about to fill the Pole’s shoes. With Sandro Wagner already at the club as back up, the Bundesliga giants will likely replace Lewandowski with a high-profile striker, meaning Arp would join as third-choice. That’s no place for a budding talent who needs games to grow. But then again, few can resist Bayern’s calling.

Rating – 3/10

Jann-Fiete Arp

Jann-Fiete Arp

Most popular

Diego Costa says best for Antoine Griezmann would be to stay at Atletico Madrid

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Diego Costa has told team-mate Antoine Griezmann he is best off staying at Atletico Madrid.

Griezmann has scored 23 goals in 38 appearances for Atletico this season and said on Wednesday he wants his future sorted before the start of this year’s World Cup.

The French forward told L´Equipe he hopes “to travel to Russia without concern” after Barcelona were forced in January to deny they had already struck a deal to sign the player. Manchester United were also credited with a strong interest last summer.

Costa, however, who left Atletico for Chelsea in 2014 only to return to the Spanish club earlier this season, believes his current striker partner should stay put.

“He knows that we want him, that he is a very important player. He is still with us and he has not told me he is going yet,” Costa said on Wednesday.

“I would be happy for him to stay, everyone has to look for the best for themselves but, in my opinion, the best for him is to stay.”

Costa added, with a smile: “He called me every day to tell me to return to Atletico and now he’s not going to leave me. That cannot be, he is going to stay.”

Spain coach Julen Lopetegui appears to have put his faith in Costa to be the team’s leading striker this summer.

Spain's players

A strong run of form for Atletico, alongside Griezmann, has included three goals in Costa´s last seven appearances while Chelsea´s Alvaro Morata, his chief rival, has been left out of Spain´s latest squad.

It marks a stark contrast to the start of the season when Costa, sidelined by Chelsea manager Antonio Conte, was left killing time in Brazil, and Morata began his Premier League career with eight goals in as many games.

“It is very clear that it was not my fault that I was in Brazil. We all know what happened there but I’m back now and I want to do my best,” Costa said.

“The (Spain) coach was always very clear with me that if I was not playing then it would be impossible for me to be called up. But he also said that if I was playing well then the door would be open to me and I’m grateful to him for that.”

On Morata’s omission, Costa added: “I miss Morata because we get on well. Competition is always good. Morata has been having a bad time there (at Chelsea) but he is back now scoring goals and I hope he comes back with us and we can play together.”

Spain play Germany in Dusseldorf on Friday before hosting Argentina in a second friendly in Madrid on Tuesday.

Provided by AFP Sport

Most popular

Arsenal and Liverpool boosted in Nabil Fekir chase as agent reveals player's ambition

David Cooper 21/03/2018
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Though the summer transfer window is still a few months away, that hasn’t stopped the rumours of players potentially being on the move.

Across the world of football, there remains plenty of activity and stories that have football fans talking.

Here, we look at the latest transfer deals that could happen when the market reopens in June.

Get in touch with your thoughts too via Twitter and Facebook.

NABIL FEKIR

Nabil Fekir’s agent Jean-Pierre Bernes claims his client is content at Lyon but would consider a move should the right opportunity come along and is feasible for all parties involved.

Bernes revealed to Le Dauphine Libere Fekir dreams of playing for an elite European club. The Frenchman has been in top form this season having scored 16 goals in Ligue 1.

Arsenal and Liverpool have shown interest in the attacking midfielder and a move in the summer could be in the works.

Verdict

Fekir is a player whose calibre exceeds the standards of Lyon. He would improve any side in the Premier League and would fit the bill at Liverpool or Arsenal.

Ratings – 6/10

Nabil Fekir

Nabil Fekir

ANDER HERRERA

Having fallen out of favour with Jose Mourinho, Ander Herrera looks set to be sold by Manchester United in the summer.

Should he depart Old Trafford, the Spaniard could prioritise a return to former side Athletic Bilbao according to Mundo Deportivo.

AC Milan, Valencia and Atletico Madrid are also interested in signing in the 28-year-old who is expected to be part of several players to be sold by United this summer.

Verdict

There doesn’t appear to be a way back for Herrera as a regular in United’s starting eleven. He’s still got a lot to offer though so if Atletico come in with a strong offer, he could decide against a return to his former club.

Ratings – 6/10

Ander Herrera

Ander Herrera

Most popular