Outgoing Barcelona legend Andres Iniesta to decide on destination 'next week'

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Iniesta is set for one last rousing reception from the Barcelona fans.

Departing Barcelona legend Andres Iniesta says he will make a decision on the next step of his career “next week”.

Club captain Iniesta announced last month that he would be leaving the club where he’s been since the age of 12, with a move to either China or Japan in the offing.

“There are two scenarios, China or Japan, and each has its advantages,” he told Spanish radio Onda Cero overnight Monday.

“There are some minor details to be sorted out, we’re weighing everything up and will pick which one we decide is the best option.

“Next week, when everything is over, we’ll decide. Then, there’s the World Cup, I want to get this resolved so that I can focus.

Iniesta hinted that he does have a preference between the two choices, although he didn’t reveal which one.

“One option is more advanced than the other,” the midfielder said.

China’s Chongqing Lifan and Japan’s Vissel Kobe – who are owned by Barcelona sponsors Rakuten – were both forced to deny speculation that they had made big-money approaches for the 34-year-old.

Iniesta’s latest comments indicate that a move to Australia, which had been suggested in Spanish media, is not an option being considered.

The Spaniard, who is a wine producer, added that the economics of any new deal are “relatively important”, as he is eager to take his wine label from his native Castilla-La-Mancha region to new markets.

However, Iniesta says that the most important factor is his family, as he seeks a comfortable quality of life for his wife and three children.

The final match of Iniesta’s glittering career at Barcelona will be on Saturday against Real Sociedad, with the home fans at his beloved Camp Nou stadium set to make it a memorable, and emotional, affair.

Most popular

Related Tags

Toby Alderweireld and Danny Rose among FIVE first-team players set to be axed by Tottenham this summer

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

An overhaul at Tottenham could see Toby Alderweireld and Danny Rose heading for the exit door, the Mirror reports.

Spurs are ready to listen to offers for the pair, as well as Mousa Dembele, Fernando Llorente and Moussa Sissoko, the paper says. Mauricio Pochettino is said to be seeking backing from the club’s hierarchy with a more unrestricted wage structure to bring in new talent.

Following West Brom’s drop into the Championship, potential offers are beginning to surface for centre-back Jonny Evans. According to the Mirror, Arsenal are keen to bring the 30-year-old to the Emirates.

Evans is said to be up for grabs for just £3million, while Bayer Leverkusen goalkeeper Bernd Leno is also thought to be on the Gunners’ radar.

With David Moyes’ time at West Ham seemingly at an end, the club are looking to Paulo Fonseca to take charge next season, the Mail claims.

The paper says the Shakhtar Donetsk manager met with Hammers chairman David Sullivan a day after Moyes’ contract at the London Stadium expired. Fonseca, 45, is thought to be the first to meet with the club’s executives, with ex-Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini also tipped to be on the shortlist.

Most popular

Elseid Hysaj headlines our Rumour Mill as Man United set to sign Napoli star

David Cooper 15/05/2018
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

The summer transfer window is now less than one month away and the rumours of players and coaches potentially being on the move is gathering pace.

Across the world of football, there remains plenty of activity and stories that have football fans talking.

Here, we look at the latest transfer deals that could happen when the market reopens in June.

Get in touch with your thoughts too via Twitter and Facebook.

ELSEID HYSAJ

Manchester United are set to pay the Napoli ace’s £44 million (Dh219m) release clause this summer, according to The Sun.

The Albanian has established himself as one of the best defenders in Europe this season and was instrumental in the Partenopei’s Serie A title tilt.

With Jose Mourinho set to sell Matteo Darmian to Juventus, Hysaj is viewed as the ideal replacement to fill the right-back berth.

With full-backs at such a premium, his transfer fee represents good value with the Old Trafford club ready to activate his fee next month.

DAVID OSPINA

The Arsenal goalkeeper has become a serious transfer target to Boca Juniors and it is believed he would relish the prospect of joining the Argentine giants.

The 29-year-old Colombian international told Antena that he is happy at the Emirates Stadium but could be tempted by a move to Buenos Aires in the future.

Medellin-born Ospina has made 69 Gunners appearances since Arsene Wenger signed him from Nice in 2014, but faces an uncertain future in the wake of the Frenchman’s departure as manager.

Arsenal v AC Milan - UEFA Europa League Round of 16: Second Leg

Most popular