Pep Guardiola believes Manchester City will not make any further signings in transfer window

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Guardiola has seemingly ruled out any more signings.

Pep Guardiola appears to have ruled out any further signings at Manchester City for the coming season.

The Premier League champions have made just one major addition to their squad this summer in the club record £60 million acquisition of Riyad Mahrez.

City had made the recruitment of a defensive midfielder a priority but, after losing out on Jorginho to Chelsea, they may not head back into the market before Thursday’s transfer deadline.

City manager Guardiola does have some other options in the position, which could include deploying central defender John Stones in a midfield role. The England international briefly played in a more advanced position during Sunday’s Community Shield win over Chelsea at Wembley.

Asked if Stones could play there again, Guardiola said on Sky Sports’ Premier League Launch Show: “I don’t know, I didn’t put it in a training session. It was 10-15 minutes.

“We have Fernandinho, (Ilkay) Gundogan can play there. We don’t have many. I think we are not going to make any signings more this season.

“John, for the quality and personality he has, he is a tall guy, I think he can play there but I don’t know because we have never tried before. We will see during the season.”

Stones could be tried out in a defensive midfield role.

Stones could be tried out in a defensive midfield role.

City won the title with a record 100 points last season. Guardiola does not expect that tally to be beaten but is determined to keep driving City towards greater heights.

The former Barcelona boss said: “People say, ‘Can you improve on 100 points?’ – I say no. We are not here to do that.

“But individually the players can improve. Of course we can improve. If I felt we could not improve the team I would call my chairman and say, ‘OK, I leave’.

“We believe we can do better, dominate more and we will try to do it. Is it going to happen? I don’t know but we believe we can do it.”

City failed to mount strong title defences after their last Premier League successes in 2012 and 2014 but captain Vincent Kompany claims the feeling is different this time.

Kompany said: “I’ve got to be honest, there was a feeling when we’ve won the league (previously), you came back in to the training sessions and everybody was a little bit less (intense), a little bit more smiles and happiness, but a little bit less committed.

“Teams that actually wanted it more could hurt us. I came in (to training) this time and it’s completely different.”

Team-mate Kyle Walker, who cut short his summer holiday to return to training ahead of the Community Shield, spoke about his hunger to deliver again.

Walker had just two weeks off following England’s run to the semi-finals of the World Cup.

The right-back said: “I had the option if I wanted to come back later I could, but I wanted to be involved.

“I left Manchester City at the end of last season in a good place and I wanted to pick up where we left off.”

Most popular

Joe Hart believes Burnley is perfect club for him to reinvigorate career after Man City ending

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Hart is attempting to get his career back on track.

Joe Hart feels he has found the perfect club to kickstart his career after joining Burnley from Manchester City.

England’s former number one has signed a two-year deal at Turf Moor after bringing to an end his 12-year association with City.

The two-time Premier League winner had spent the past two seasons on loan at Torino and West Ham after falling down the pecking order at the Etihad Stadium.

The 31-year-old told Clarets Player: “I feel like I’m in the right place and I feel like this is my time to kick on now. Everything has really impressed me. I’ve heard such good things about the atmosphere.

“I heard that was the vibe and I’ve come here first day, and you can just see it – it just stinks of it.

“Everyone wants to play for each other, everyone wants to win and everyone wants to do their best.”

Burnley, who finished seventh in the Premier League last season, emerged as an unlikely destination for Hart after injuries to Nick Pope and Tom Heaton, both also England internationals.

Pope, who was part of England’s squad at the World Cup this summer, dislocated his shoulder in the recent Europa League qualifier at Aberdeen.

Hart was frozen out of Manchester City by Pep Guardiola.

Hart was frozen out of Manchester City by Pep Guardiola.

With Heaton returning to fitness after a calf strain, manager Sean Dyche decided to enter the transfer market ahead of this week’s deadline.

When all are fit, Hart will face tough competition for a place but Dyche is convinced he is ready for that challenge.

Dyche said: “It’s strange to have three of the recent England goalkeepers in the one camp, especially here at Burnley.

“But the timing is right and having spoken to Joe I think it’s right for him too.

“He is clear-minded in the sense that he just wants to get on and work, part of the team and earn the right for a chance to play.”

Hart’s move was marked with warm words from his former employers City, who have promised supporters the chance to show their appreciation with a ‘formal tribute’ in the autumn. City are due to host Burnley in October.

City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak said: “Joe Hart’s contribution to Manchester City cannot be overstated.

“His 12 years at the club have seen him produce some remarkable performances and heart-stopping saves that will live in the memory for a long time to come.

“His passion for and commitment to this club, evidenced by a remarkable tally of 348 appearances, means he will rightly be regarded as a City legend in perpetuity.”

City captain Vincent Kompany said: “Joe joined as a young lad from Shrewsbury and leaves a City legend.

“When you look at the club he joined and the club as it is now, we have come so far during his time in Manchester and Joe has been a huge part of that. It’s been an absolute pleasure to play alongside him for so many years.”

Most popular

Manchester United agree deal for Toby Alderweireld with Tottenham waiting on replacement

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
United may be set to finally land Alderweireld.

Manchester United have reportedly agreed a deal with Tottenham for centre-back Toby Alderweireld, with Spurs’ search for a replacement the only obstacle left to clear in finalising the transfer, according to Goal.

29-year-old Alderweireld has been a target of United’s all summer, but the club had reportedly given up hope of signing the Belgian as Tottenham’s reported £75million asking price was too high.

But reports this week suggested that the defender had his mind set on a move to the Red Devils, and a clause in his Tottenham contract that would make him available for £25 million next summer is likely forcing Spurs’ hand. The agreed fee is thought to be closer to £57m.

However, United are wary that Spurs could pull out of the deal at the last minute if they can’t line up a replacement. The club, who have been linked with centre-backs Harry Maguire, Jerome Boateng, and Yerry Mina this summer, are continuing to look at alternatives to Alderweireld should a deal fall through.

Most popular