Ajax rising star Frenkie de Jong has confirmed that he will stay at Johan Cruijff Arena for the 2018/19 season despite interest from Barcelona.
The La Liga champions had been heavily linked with the exciting 21-year-old, and it was believed earlier this summer that a fee of £50 million (Dhs 234 million) would be enough to get the deal over the line.
However, speaking after Ajax’s win over Dynamo Kyiv on Tuesday, de Jong told NOS: “Maybe someday I’ll join Barcelona, but not this season. I’m staying here. I think it will be a good year.”
“I’d love to play with Ajax against Barcelona. Our squad is good and we deserved to reach the group stage. Now we’re about to find out what we’re capable of in the Champions League.
The Dutch U21 midfielder started 25 times for the Eredivisie side last term, scoring one goal and providing one assist in the process. Ernesto Valverde is reportedly keen to sign De Jong as he looks to bolster his midfield options.
The Arkel native, who still has four years remaining on his contract, has also been monitored by Arsenal, Manchester City and Chelsea.
Ernesto Valverde has brought Malcom, Clement Lenglet, Arthur and Arturo Vidal to the Camp Nou so far this summer but Kampl’s exploits after arriving at Leipzig from Bayer Leverkusen last summer didn’t go unnoticed, with Catalan giants Barca, along with rivals Atletico Madrid, showing interest.
The 27-year-old winger quickly cemented his place in Ralf Rangnick’s starting XI.
Teamtalk say any chase for Kampl could rest on Leipzig’s pursuit of Everton star Ademola Lookman, who spent the last half of last season on loan at the Red Bull Arena.
In his first game with Leipzig, Lookman scored the winning goal in the away game against Borussia Monchengladbach after coming on as a late substitute. He scored a total of five goals in 11 appearances for the Bundesliga side.
The German side have been told to pay £28million plus add-ons to land the Toffees winger and Leipzig would then reportedly sanction the sale of Kampl.
According to the Daily Mail, the Whites have renewed their interest in the 23-year-old and want to make him a marquee signing at the Bernabeu next summer.
The former Liverpool ace has been in talks to extend his contract at the Etihad Stadium, which runs out in two years time, however, discussions have slowed in recent times.
As such, Sterling could be open to a move to the Spanish giants – although, it would take a fee of £100m to prise him away from Pep Guardiola’s men.